Doug Mathews on Returning Players

I went to my first Braves game in 1979. Our Little League coach told us if we won the championship he would take us to Atlanta. I remember getting Dale Murphy's autograph after the game. He was such a class act. So nice and humble. Gene Garber was a complete ass. Back in the day, the Cubs, Braves, and TWIB were the only games on TV. Then some high school buddies and me went from 1985 to 1989. I don't know why we quit going when they started winning. Good memories. This year was so special. Watched the World Series with my son. He appreciated it. He said, "Dad, UT and the Braves haven't won any championships in my lifetime. I needed this." He's nineteen.
I was at the game where Garber put a stop to Rose's streak. I thought it was rude. 😂

Reactions: Vol737
I went to my first Braves game in 1979. Our Little League coach told us if we won the championship he would take us to Atlanta. I remember getting Dale Murphy's autograph after the game. He was such a class act. So nice and humble. Gene Garber was a complete ass. Back in the day, the Cubs, Braves, and TWIB were the only games on TV. Then some high school buddies and me went from 1985 to 1989. I don't know why we quit going when they started winning. Good memories. This year was so special. Watched the World Series with my son. He appreciated it. He said, "Dad, UT and the Braves haven't won any championships in my lifetime. I needed this." He's nineteen.
We named a dog Murphy, back around 86. We kept going through the glory years. I was happy the Braves won this year but I have to admit I didn’t watch. I just don’t feel connected to the team anymore.

"Coach " Mathews in today's show made a couple of statements regarding personnel that I haven't heard from any other sources. Said Tillman, Mitchell and Bumpus are coming back. Also said Holliday will likely switch to DB, most likely as CB. In another segment mentioned he had a recent conversation with Heupel about another topic. Could he have gotten this info regarding returnees directly from Heupel? Has anyone else heard that Tillman and Mitchell are definite returnees?
Coach has lost his fastball...he’s pretty clueless these days. Mitchell is not returning to Tennessee to play next year.

Doug knows WAY more than AV did. AV was FOS. It finally caught up with him and people caught on. He lasted longer than most fake insiders do though, due to him buying people tickets. He was committed to the schtick, I'll give him that. He bilked it as long as he could.

I like Doug, and I've listened to Big Orange Sunday alot over the years but Doug learned alot of his info from Fulmer. With Fulmer out of the picture his info has been more spotty. For example, he reported that our internal investigation was over about 6 months before we now know it actually concluded.
Yea I got destroyed for always believing he was fos. People defended him ferociously.

He also knows a lot of HS coaches and those guys hear what the Vols staff is telling them and their players on the recruiting trail. Usually, if DM is just going off his gut he will say that. He’s also spent time each of the past two weeks stating that a healthy program doesn’t take more than 2-3 transfers a year.

Tillman heavily suggested it in his last interview. Sounded like Hooker was one of the advisers he leaned on most.

Most have assumed Mitchell was gone but I'm not sure why. He had a good Covid season at Texas but I can't imagine that got him a good draft grade. I don't think he had any academic issues so coming back makes sense on the surface.

Holiday to DB is an interesting idea. Athletic former QB... we had a good one recently that fit that mold. Bumphus may not be a need but would make very good experience and depth while the new guys learn.

The biggest questions you didn't answer are Mays and Calbert. UT is developing depth with some younger guys but one or both of these guys returning could make a huge difference on the OL.
We have 4 returning starters on the oline, plus their backups from this season. I think we should be fine on the OL regardless of what Cade & Calvert does

We have 4 returning starters on the oline, plus their backups from this season. I think we should be fine on the OL regardless of what Cade & Calvert does
I think that's true to a great degree though I would like to see Calbert back at least. But that's a personal decision and he may just be ready to move on with life.

I think the young guys who have been developing in the background may surprise folks.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
counting transfers and new signees, number is likely to be 26 or 27 comin in. They are going to impose scholarship reductions with this class. Hearing the number is likely 5.

We will need some more facts too. If we reduce scholarships down to 80 and we add some of these guys back to the 68 returnee number I have seen that would mean 80-70 would leave us 10 openings and we just signed the 20 and are 10 over right now. The new transfer additions would have to fit in the 80 as well.

A bunch will have to be leaving to make this work. Would love to know the facts of who is going on medical, who is walking away from the game, and who is entering the portal.

Maybe some will want to work on advance degrees and become walkons on HOPE and other assistance. I have wondered if NIL money can be paid to VOLUNTEER walkons if someone wanted to feature their unselfish acts as SUPER VFLs in local adds. Creativity will be at a premium.

I know I have had too much time on my hands to ponder the near future with our SHIPS with all these mixed factoids out there. We have a lot of work to do to even think about getting any above our counters with our transfers.

Reactions: SuzyVol
We will need some more facts too. If we reduce scholarships down to 80 and we add some of these guys back to the 68 returnee number I have seen that would mean 80-70 would leave us 10 openings and we just signed the 20 and are 10 over right now. The new transfer additions would have to fit in the 80 as well.

A bunch will have to be leaving to make this work. Would love to know the facts of who is going on medical, who is walking away from the game, and who is entering the portal.

Maybe some will want to work on advance degrees and become walkons on HOPE and other assistance. I have wondered if NIL money can be paid to VOLUNTEER walkons if someone wanted to feature their unselfish acts as SUPER VFLs in local adds. Creativity will be at a premium.

I know I have had too much time on my hands to ponder the near future with our SHIPS with all these mixed factoids out there. We have a lot of work to do to even think about getting any above our counters with our transfers.

lot of speculation on where the reductions of scholarships come from. I don't know which area it is taken from and to my knowledge, Tennessee has yet to make a statement on it. Either way, you're correct that there is work to be done to make the numbers work.

Walk-ons can receive NIL money. I've seen where some walk-ons at other schools were given deals but can't recall specifics. Wanna say maybe at BYU or Miami included walk-ons in some deals. Not the schools, but 3rd parties. Schools can't participate. :)

Roster is going to be ugly in 23 and 24 without a lot of creativity by the staff.

lot of speculation on where the reductions of scholarships come from. I don't know which area it is taken from and to my knowledge, Tennessee has yet to make a statement on it. Either way, you're correct that there is work to be done to make the numbers work.

Walk-ons can receive NIL money. I've seen where some walk-ons at other schools were given deals but can't recall specifics. Wanna say maybe at BYU or Miami included walk-ons in some deals. Not the schools, but 3rd parties. Schools can't participate. :)

Roster is going to be ugly in 23 and 24 without a lot of creativity by the staff.
In what way? Numbers or quality?

most will not IMO.. not enough quality there to keep.. may as well take a younger prospect.. hopefully more talented
So the '23 class is pretty critical unless they bring a 2-4 more new recruits or go heavy JUCO/portal in the next two classes.

VN Store

Back