Doug Mathews on Returning Players

Honestly for a coach that emphasizes culture so much Mitchell always seemed like an odd fit. IIRC, he left Texas because they weren't "woke" enough... why leave Austin for K'ville to play for a coach from South Dakota if your reason is "social justice"? And why take a guy who could be divisive from the moment he arrived?

Lots of maybes and ifs on that one.
Mitchell was an odd fit, but when he joined the team we had a long snapper working at LB, and could not be too choosy.

Beasley and Page made a lot of progress last year, but the middle of the defense is still a weakness and it would be nice if we could keep Mitchell or get another portal LB.

Mitchell was an odd fit, but when he joined the team we had a long snapper working at LB, and could not be too choosy.

Beasley and Page made a lot of progress last year, but the middle of the defense is still a weakness and it would be nice if we could keep Mitchell or get another portal LB.
How would we possibly know what Mitchell brings? He was likely hurt going into the season and then out for year after a couple of games.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
He had a really good season for Texas before transferring.
Exactly. He was their leading tackler was he not? Anyway, I don’t think we’re at the point where we can thumb our nose at a player. I hope he comes back. That’s a huge position of need and it’s not like we’ve filled the depth chart.

"Coach " Mathews in today's show made a couple of statements regarding personnel that I haven't heard from any other sources. Said Tillman, Mitchell and Bumpus are coming back. Also said Holliday will likely switch to DB, most likely as CB. In another segment mentioned he had a recent conversation with Heupel about another topic. Could he have gotten this info regarding returnees directly from Heupel? Has anyone else heard that Tillman and Mitchell are definite returnees?
Have now.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I enjoy listening to Doug. He was a terrific SEC running back - I think he may have led the conference in rushing one year or was close to the top. Also he was a key coach under Majors. You younger guys pay attention to Doug as he speaks from authority and wisdom - none of the Basilio flashy distractions. It was hilarious on the last show when he said he could drop back 15 yards in coverage and defend a pass. Well I don't know exactly what kind of condition he is in - but you know Doug Mathews could out hit and out hustle a lot of guys half his age. That was a great show last week with his analysis of returning players. As he said, recruiting a large group of experienced proven seniors to return another year and build the program is preferable to the unknowns of the transfer portal.

Exactly. He was their leading tackler was he not? Anyway, I don’t think we’re at the point where we can thumb our nose at a player. I hope he comes back. That’s a huge position of need and it’s not like we’ve filled the depth chart.

Mitchell would be a big piece in 2022. We never saw a healthy and acclimated Mitchell in 2021. He and Banks together would be solid SEC starters in our 4-2-5. Some development from Willis and Beasley, along with Herring and Perry coming in as EEs, along with Page being beck, and we might have some decent depth there.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
This right here, late 80s games would have less than 10k fans per game…
Amen. We used to buy general admission tickets and after the first pitch we could go sit down right behind the Braves dugout. Once I was sitting 3 seats away from Ted Turner. We bought him a beer. He kept the beers rolling after that. Those were the days.

VN Store

Back