Doug Mathews on Returning Players

LTVol

"Coach " Mathews in today's show made a couple of statements regarding personnel that I haven't heard from any other sources. Said Tillman, Mitchell and Bumpus are coming back. Also said Holliday will likely switch to DB, most likely as CB. In another segment mentioned he had a recent conversation with Heupel about another topic. Could he have gotten this info regarding returnees directly from Heupel? Has anyone else heard that Tillman and Mitchell are definite returnees?

"Coach " Mathews in today's show made a couple of statements regarding personnel that I haven't heard from any other sources. Said Tillman, Mitchell and Bumpus are coming back. Also said Holliday will likely switch to DB, most likely as CB. In another segment mentioned he had a recent conversation with Heupel about another topic. Could he have gotten this info regarding returnees directly from Heupel? Has anyone else heard that Tillman and Mitchell are definite returnees?
Tillman heavily suggested it in his last interview. Sounded like Hooker was one of the advisers he leaned on most.

Most have assumed Mitchell was gone but I'm not sure why. He had a good Covid season at Texas but I can't imagine that got him a good draft grade. I don't think he had any academic issues so coming back makes sense on the surface.

Holiday to DB is an interesting idea. Athletic former QB... we had a good one recently that fit that mold. Bumphus may not be a need but would make very good experience and depth while the new guys learn.

The biggest questions you didn't answer are Mays and Calbert. UT is developing depth with some younger guys but one or both of these guys returning could make a huge difference on the OL.

Tillman heavily suggested it in his last interview. Sounded like Hooker was one of the advisers he leaned on most.

Most have assumed Mitchell was gone but I'm not sure why. He had a good Covid season at Texas but I can't imagine that got him a good draft grade. I don't think he had any academic issues so coming back makes sense on the surface.

Holiday to DB is an interesting idea. Athletic former QB... we had a good one recently that fit that mold. Bumphus may not be a need but would make very good experience and depth while the new guys learn.

The biggest questions you didn't answer are Mays and Calbert. UT is developing depth with some younger guys but one or both of these guys returning could make a huge difference on the OL.
CM didn't mention Calvert and assumes Mays not coming back

Reactions: volnut1
All good news.

Mitchell before injury was likely going to have a good season.
I'd take him over Beasley. Mitchell showed the ability to knife into the backfield and tackle well in open space.

If we knew who is and who isn’t staying we could figure out how many more we can take in this 2022 class. I know that’s what’s on everyone’s mind. Someone should have that info.

Reactions: Deebowbear

I thought Holiday would be a DB when he first signed. His play of STs has reinforced that notion. Glad to hear he's moving there.

The plan has been for Bumphus to return all along. That's why they redshirted him this year.

If we knew who is and who isn’t staying we could figure out how many more we can take in this 2022 class. I know that’s what’s on everyone’s mind. Someone should have that info.
I think players have to decide by January 15, signing day is in February and then there will be more players available after spring practice. We'll know in plenty of time.

Reactions: volnut1

VN Store

Back