Dobbs at the Combine

Dobbs doesn't look fast because of his size but he is motoring.

4.65 is very, very fast. 4.4-ish is elite, 1% type stuff.

Funny how people just don't have a sense of true 40 times and believe it when a kid says he ran 4.3 in high school...it just didn't happen. Even funnier, the number of guys who are former Highschool athletes and believe they could go out today and break 5.0 in the 40. Truth is, with rare exception, they'd do well to break 6.0.

Reactions: 4 people
I don't think I've ever seen a qb run with as much power/break as many tackles as Dobbs has, other than Steve McNair, who was a 235 lb freak of nature.

Oddly I often didn't so much see it as "power" so much as an almost eerie ability to "slip" tackles. Almost like a judo approach to exert force in a way that counteracts tacklers. It wouldn't make sense to explain to someone that hasn't seen his film.

Reactions: 3 people
Oddly I often didn't so much see it as "power" so much as an almost eerie ability to "slip" tackles. Almost like a judo approach to exert force in a way that counteracts tacklers. It wouldn't make sense to explain to someone that hasn't seen his film.
Exactly. And you hardly ever saw him take direct hits.

4.65 is very, very fast. 4.4-ish is elite, 1% type stuff.

Funny how people just don't have a sense of true 40 times and believe it when a kid says he ran 4.3 in high school...it just didn't happen. Even funnier, the number of guys who are former Highschool athletes and believe they could go out today and break 5.0 in the 40. Truth is, with rare exception, they'd do well to break 6.0.

Oh I know it's fast. He doesn't look it though. Almost gliding.

I don't think I've ever seen a qb run with as much power/break as many tackles as Dobbs has, other than Steve McNair, who was a 235 lb freak of nature.

Tebow and Newton were on that level too

I thought I saw both. Definitely slippery as hell. But there were times were he just flat ran through arm tackles and several of them on the same run. Kid has a great knack for it.

That being said, doesn't much matter at the next level. I'm happy to see him throw it so well today, that's much more important

Reactions: 2 people
Tebow and Newton were on that level too

Forgot about those two. More Newton than Tebow imo. Tebow ran like a 3 yards and a cloud of dust fullback. Dobbs was a better, more dynamic runner than Tim imo. Newton was definitely a power guy, Dobbs the better slashing runner. Jmo.

Forgot about those two. More Newton than Tebow imo. Tebow ran like a 3 yards and a cloud of dust fullback. Dobbs was a better, more dynamic runner than Tim imo. Newton was definitely a power guy, Dobbs the better slashing runner. Jmo.

If you watch film of Tebow and Newton we used Dobbs the same way. You'll see us use what's called the bash (backside sweep) tag. That's why Hurd and Kamara ran so many naked (no blocking in that direction) sweeps. Because their job was to hold the backside defenders so Dobbs could run the main play. If the backside didn't stay home, we'd hand off on the naked sweep to control the DE. It's the opposite of zone read

I thought I saw both. Definitely slippery as hell. But there were times were he just flat ran through arm tackles and several of them on the same run. Kid has a great knack for it.

That being said, doesn't much matter at the next level. I'm happy to see him throw it so well today, that's much more important

Agreed, in the end his draft location will be predicted on how teams think he can make throws and his ultimate success or failure will rely on the same.

Because he barely looked like he broke a sweat. It looked effortless.

It did, good call.

I haven't really see this kid play and you can obviously gauge a kids speed better vs competition. I just remember watching Chris Johnson and it was unreal how much faster he was than everybody else on the field.

VN Store

Back