Dobbs at the Combine

If you think Mel Kiper and Todd McShay are actually evaluating players then I feel sorry for you that you are that gullible.

I'm going to ignore (for good reason) all that prior garbage on focus on this bit. You and I both know citing Kiper or McShay (or anybody really) is just aces as long as it follows what you're pushing.

It's times like these the people that consider you a troll are showing much better evaluation skills than you've ever shown.

Reactions: 1 person
This is a great year for Dobbs honestly because the QB market is a sellers market. Absolutely no free agents available that would seem to be franchise building blocks or even stop gaps (at least until Romo is released or unless you want Cutler and apparently no one does). Also Doesn't seem to be a ton of separation in the middle of draft eligible QB prospects.

This is Dobbs' year! Go make that money guy!

Every single player you just listed as a "bust" is miles ahead of, say, Kelvin Taylor or Kevin Hogan. You know them, right?We KNOW Bosa has exceeded your predictions based only on this season.

Oh, and bonus idgit points for trying to downplay Bosa with the "no other legitimate competition" comment. You do know he was the #5 sacker at DE in the league (1/2 sack behind Kahlil Mack) among ALL players, not just rookies, right? Oh, and that's not playing the first 4 weeks. Sorry dude, no sad little "but maybe someday" speculation changes that Bosa balled all over your prediction.

Aaron Kampman had a season where he got 15.5 sacks. Even a mediocre player can have a lucky year.

Joey Bosa's 2016 = lucky

He will never be viewed as an elite player. And that is what a #3 overall pick is supposed to be. ELITE.

Aaron Kampman had a season where he got 15.5 sacks. Even a mediocre player can have a lucky year.

Joey Bosa's 2016 = lucky
Kampman never got over 6.5 until his 5th season as a pro.

Bosa might well flame out, but the list of guys who've had 10+ sacks as a rookie is almost entirely littered with guys who went on to have multiple All-Pro seasons and/or had at least some extended period of elite production (like Jevon Kearse who had a 3 year window as one of the best pure pass rushers in the game before his production dropped off because of injury/loss of speed).
He will never be viewed as an elite player. And that is what a #3 overall pick is supposed to be. ELITE
There are a few problems with this argument.

1. Drafts vary in how many elite prospects there are and at what position. So yeah, in theory the #3 pick should always be an elite player, but there isn't always an elite player at the position of need for a team picking there.

2. It depends on how you define "elite." Is elite the guy who gives you 2-3 unstoppable seasons and drops off (like Kearse did), or the the guy who puts up ~10 sacks a season over a decade, but never has that 14-15 sack season.

3. Honestly, I think your entire way of thinking here is flawed to begin with. The framework you're using to look at top draft picks is a little screwy.

Top draft picks used on players who aren't QBs are mostly about cost performance. The rookie wage scale gives you a 4-5 year window to get top talent cheap. If you're picking top ten, you're trying to find a player who will give you 4-5 years of top end production while you build the rest of your team through other means.

So if you're looking for a pass rusher and drafting top 5, what you're really thinking about is how many games/sacks/pressures/tackles you can get per $, not necessarily whether that guy will be viewed as elite or not. There's simply not going to be a Julius Peppers there for the taking every year. You're looking to get 4/5 years of ~10 sacks to go along with a guy who will be on the field all or most of that time. Whether they turn out to be an all time great doesn't really matter.

So if a guy like Bosa stays mostly healthy through his rookie contract, ends up with 9-11 sack per year type production, and is never considered among the best of the best when it comes to pass rushers, he still could be considered a really successful pick at #3 (especially if he holds up well against the run to boot).

Yeah says he likes Dobbs now, and imagine that, "mcshay is growing on me"... lol

Well Dobbs is a big litmus test for me. If you can't see how special of a player he will be in the NFL, I can't really respect your evaluations.

If you can see how good Dobbs will be then that's a good starting point for gaining my respect.

Well Dobbs is a big litmus test for me. If you can't see how special of a player he will be in the NFL, I can't really respect your evaluations.

If you can see how good Dobbs will be then that's a good starting point for gaining my respect.

So if someone doesn't agree with you that Dobbs is ready to be a starting QB day one in the NFL and will play at an elite level, then you don't allow yourself to consider anything else they have to say worth listening to?

C'mon man.

So if someone doesn't agree with you that Dobbs is ready to be a starting QB day one in the NFL and will play at an elite level, then you don't allow yourself to consider anything else they have to say worth listening to?

C'mon man.

Nah. They don't have to go that far.

I just won't listen to anything else someone says if they go say something like draft "expert" Matt Miller (of Bleacher Report) said a few weeks ago when he said Dobbs should not be drafted. If you think like that, then there is no hope for you. But if you see that Dobbs has skills to work with in which he can eventually become a solid NFL QB then I'm cool with that. You don't have to agree with me that he'll be an elite player right off the bat.

:eek:lol: i'm bias, and if you agree with me, i like you. if you don't agree with my bias, you're an idiot.

makes sense.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back