Cord cutter here, and I have a question..

Does anyone have YouTube tv that can share their experience? I have HULU live which I love but they keep increasing the price so exploring other options.
I used to use Hulu with live TV and now use YouTube TV. The experience is much better with YouTube TV. There is almost no buffering like I had with Hulu. There is also unlimited DVD space so I record several games every weekend and then go back and watch the ones I couldn't watch live.

I have YTTV and prime video with xfinity internet with 175mbs but limits me to 1TB per month. Has anyone with similar steup ever went over the limit? If so, how much does it slow down. Just started YTTV 2 days ago.

Does anyone have YouTube tv that can share their experience? I have HULU live which I love but they keep increasing the price so exploring other options.
I have watched every Vols game this year on one or another channel via YTTV. Signed up well before season and have had one rate increase 45>49. I like it fine.

I love it overall but it buffers like crazy on live sports. And no, it's not my internet speed as it's lightening fast.

Other live stuff just is fine and it's not just me, a lot of subscribers complain about it. If that one bug could get worked out it'd be near perfect
Odd. Because my connection is slow (20 some mbs dsl) and yt buffers only when loading and that for a few seconds ever. I also run thre users, two are heavy on streaming.

I have YTTV and prime video with xfinity internet with 175mbs but limits me to 1TB per month. Has anyone with similar steup ever went over the limit? If so, how much does it slow down. Just started YTTV 2 days ago.
I'm running at 100 Mbps and until literally this month I've had a data cap of 500GB. Never had an issue streaming 1080. I can't imagine you having any issues with speed or capacity.

Last edited:

Yes, but only when I had one of my services set to 4k.
Since I set Max res to 1080 I haven't gone over. I also have a home office and move a decent bit of data so not sure if I am a great case study...

Yes, but only when I had one of my services set to 4k.
Since I set Max res to 1080 I haven't gone over. I also have a home office and move a decent bit of data so not sure if I am a great case study...

Thanks for the info. I've checked my data usage and used 16gb in roughly 24 hours so i should be way under. I'll give an update later on in case anyone has the same worry!

I used to use Hulu with live TV and now use YouTube TV. The experience is much better with YouTube TV. There is almost no buffering like I had with Hulu. There is also unlimited DVD space so I record several games every weekend and then go back and watch the ones I couldn't watch live.

Chiming in. Youtube TV is amazing. I use a Roku (as opposed to a Chromecast) and the experience is phenomenal. Using a Roku basically just turns any TV into a smart TV, whereas the Chromecast interface is god awful. Using your phone as a remote seems like a good idea on paper, not so much in practice.

I've had bad experience with fire sticks. Ironically, they get blazing hot, buffer, and sometimes just shut off. I think Roku is worth the premium price.
They both are trash, its just that allot of people dont realize there's better things out there. Get a android box with 3 or 4 gigs of ram and you will see the difference.

They haven't formally announced it yet, but YouTubeTV is going to have a price increase between $15-25/month next year, depending on what channels and DVR capabilities you want. So buyer beware.

The problem with all of the streaming services is that they are all hemorrhaging money. Their programming costs are the same as cable companies, but they can't make money by selling you internet. The business model for them was to build subscribers quickly, then increase the price to less than cable, but still expensive. They're all going up sooner rather than later, or they'll just fold like Playstation Vue is.

Bait and switch is what it is. Doing the same that cable and satellite Tv vendors have been doing. I'm an OTA guy. I subscribe to what I want/need then unsubscribe when it's no longer relevant. These services are motivated by greed, not fair pricing. If they were smart, they'd institute decent prices to not only promote customer loyalty but draw in increasing new customers. Happy people talk to friends, acquaintances, co-workers, family, and others. Who often become subscribers too. Unhappy people, leave, look for alternate access, if that's available. If not they look for bootleg access, or do without. But greed is the order of the day and it's going to bite them in the booty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Remy
I love it overall but it buffers like crazy on live sports. And no, it's not my internet speed as it's lightening fast.

Other live stuff just is fine and it's not just me, a lot of subscribers complain about it. If that one bug could get worked out it'd be near perfect
Invest in a new router especially if you are streaming via wifi. If your router is old and/or cheap it doesnt matter how fast your internet is coming into your home, it probably can't handle the data rates required for consistent buffer free streaming. I had this issue. 120Mps internet, all streaming buffered. Old router was capping out wireless at 54Mbps. Got a Nighthawk AC4000.... problem solved.

They haven't formally announced it yet, but YouTubeTV is going to have a price increase between $15-25/month next year, depending on what channels and DVR capabilities you want. So buyer beware.

The problem with all of the streaming services is that they are all hemorrhaging money. Their programming costs are the same as cable companies, but they can't make money by selling you internet. The business model for them was to build subscribers quickly, then increase the price to less than cable, but still expensive. They're all going up sooner rather than later, or they'll just fold like Playstation Vue is.
Sounds like propoganda you are preaching.

Why YouTube TV Is the Future of Cable TV | The Motley Fool

Comcast is coming with a 180 channel streaming service along with 400bps internet for $90. I don't know the channel lineup (just signed yesterday) yet but hoping they overlap with Hulu so I can dump it. Comcast has been storing data (creating a profile) for several years from the in-home black box data (what you watch and when combined with basic contact info). They are now offering an advertising program to businesses that can be specific to location and profile preferences. That means you and your neighbor can watch the same program but get different advertising. They need to increase the amount of streamers and black box users to drive the system so I expect prices will continue to fall. I will advise the channel lineup when I have it.

Reactions: dduncan4163
They both are trash, its just that allot of people dont realize there's better things out there. Get a android box with 3 or 4 gigs of ram and you will see the difference.

I finally bit the bullet and purchased a shield. Was expensive but an upgrade over the cheap boxes. Had a roku for a while, but the interface is horrible.

That is SO accurate
I'm a hundred and sixty-five years old and I cut the cord about six years ago. I bet that a lot more old farts like me will be cord-cutting as time goes on. When I first left satellite I was the only only in the family that could navigate the various platforms and packages because it was so ad hoc. Now, though, even my wife is switching between the HDhomerun (locals) , the internet offerings and the other FireStick apps. My 74 year old sister, however, refuses to learn the content sources, and prefers the all-in-one satellite approach. Even though she complains about the service. So, not all old people are in the dark.
For perspective:

Invest in a new router especially if you are streaming via wifi. If your router is old and/or cheap it doesnt matter how fast your internet is coming into your home, it probably can't handle the data rates required for consistent buffer free streaming. I had this issue. 120Mps internet, all streaming buffered. Old router was capping out wireless at 54Mbps. Got a Nighthawk AC4000.... problem solved.
This is what I have, any good?

Linksys Tri-Band WiFi Router for Home (Max-Stream AC2200 MU-MIMO Fast Wireless Router)
Tri-band WiFi speeds up to 2.2 Gbps
Bandwidth for 15+ devices
Up to 2,000 sq. ft. of WiFi coverage
MU-MIMO Technology

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
This is what I have, any good?

Linksys Tri-Band WiFi Router for Home (Max-Stream AC2200 MU-MIMO Fast Wireless Router)
Tri-band WiFi speeds up to 2.2 Gbps
Bandwidth for 15+ devices
Up to 2,000 sq. ft. of WiFi coverage
MU-MIMO Technology
That should work. Maybe your cable modem itself is old? Live streaming issues are one of two things, the provider or your hardware. Almost every issue I've run into is always hardware. However...whoever your ISP is...it might be worth it to have them check their lines to look for noise or loss. I did have problems and I had to get a lower gauge (thicker) cable run to my house and have an inline amplifier installed.

VN Store

Back