Cord cutter here, and I have a question..

YouTube tv's basic package is 49.99 and that's standerd for local channels regular cable channels and espn's it has pac12 and big 10 and dvr but I could careless if they go up on price they will just loose my money. They have no installers or construction people they have to pay for just content they are making a killing.

I don't think you fully appreciate what the content costs the providers per customer. Again, even at full price, the streaming services are losing money.

I've never seen YouTube tv buffer. I'd say it's time to upgrade hardware. Of course I do have a Google mesh system. Anyone that streams in HD needs to consider a mesh WiFi system.
I have 50mbps and my youtube ty threw a fire stick never buffers now when I try to watch movies on movie ticket I have to get no bigger than a 500mb file to get buffer free shows but it's free.

I don't think you fully appreciate what the content costs the providers per customer. Again, even at full price, the streaming services are losing money.
I am fully aware of content cost saw at&t buy billions of debt just to get content. Companies like Dish , Direct, and At&t, Comcast, have unions and installers . Youtube is making a killing on subscribers very little M dollars heck they just put out a good product and it's taking off they haven't even done that much advertising Except free adds on youtube and word of mouth because it's a great product.

I am fully aware of content cost saw at&t buy billions of debt just to get content. Companies like Dish , Direct, and At&t, Comcast, have unions and installers . Youtube is making a killing on subscribers very little M dollars heck they just put out a good product and it's taking off they haven't even done that much advertising Except free adds on youtube and word of mouth because it's a great product.
I'd you're talking about YouTube TV, no they aren't profitable and they're not even break even.

Basically it's a waiting game to see who the last steaming company is and then the raise prices to cable/Dish levels.

They haven't formally announced it yet, but YouTubeTV is going to have a price increase between $15-25/month next year, depending on what channels and DVR capabilities you want. So buyer beware.

The problem with all of the streaming services is that they are all hemorrhaging money. Their programming costs are the same as cable companies, but they can't make money by selling you internet. The business model for them was to build subscribers quickly, then increase the price to less than cable, but still expensive. They're all going up sooner rather than later, or they'll just fold like Playstation Vue is.

I don't think so that sounds like a Comcast employees wet dream to me. Iger at Disney and his $6.99 has changed the game. Disney will have the luxury of picking up the scraps. Unless streaming services can compete at less than $10 per mo\nth they're doomed. Yea, bye bye Netflix, HBO Now, CBS online, etc etc etc etc.

But why does it buffer only on YouTube and specifically just live sports. Seriously asking.

Live sports are probably the most bandwidth intense thing you can stream.

Things to check in this order...

Does it buffer on one device or all devices? If it's fine on your phone or iPad but slow on your TV, it's probably your TV hardware or streaming stick. The Amazon fire stick is crap in my experience.

If it buffers on all devices then it's your internet connection. If your internet is 25+mb or more, that is acceptable. If not, you need a faster plan.

If you're fast enough, the next issue is your hardware, modem and/or router. I never use the cable company's modem. Buy a highly rated one on Amazon that is compatible with your provider. Pair it with a good router, and unless you're in a tiny dorm or apartment a mesh system is highly desirable.

I have 50mbps and my youtube ty threw a fire stick never buffers now when I try to watch movies on movie ticket I have to get no bigger than a 500mb file to get buffer free shows but it's free.

I've had bad experience with fire sticks. Ironically, they get blazing hot, buffer, and sometimes just shut off. I think Roku is worth the premium price.

I'd you're talking about YouTube TV, no they aren't profitable and they're not even break even.

Basically it's a waiting game to see who the last steaming company is and then the raise prices to cable/Dish levels.

They've only been around about a year or two. They're about to roll out PBS. At what point does cable/dish have to drop their price to YouTube TV levels?

Reactions: rocytop2624
Sling isn't profitable, either. For the orange and blue package, their programming cost is $42.50 and they charge customers between $25-40, depending on promotions. Big push from Dish shareholders to dump it because they're bleeding subscribers to themselves.

It's both fascinating and terrifying to people in the industry.
And people like me play them for football season..lol! I sign up, get my free Roku, which costs the same as the 2 months subscription and then I cancel! I can get the big networks out of the air and maybe pay an extra month to get the CFB playoffs.

I don't think so that sounds like a Comcast employees wet dream to me. Iger at Disney and his $6.99 has changed the game. Disney will have the luxury of picking up the scraps. Unless streaming services can compete at less than $10 per mo\nth they're doomed. Yea, bye bye Netflix, HBO Now, CBS online, etc etc etc etc.

Disney+ isn’t the same thing as YouTube tv, Hulu live, or sling. Those stream live cable tv, Disney+ doesn’t. It carries a library of Disney properties like marvel and Star Wars, all the old animated Disney stuff and so on. They have nothing to do with each other.

Live sports are probably the most bandwidth intense thing you can stream.

Things to check in this order...

Does it buffer on one device or all devices? If it's fine on your phone or iPad but slow on your TV, it's probably your TV hardware or streaming stick. The Amazon fire stick is crap in my experience.

If it buffers on all devices then it's your internet connection. If your internet is 25+mb or more, that is acceptable. If not, you need a faster plan.

If you're fast enough, the next issue is your hardware, modem and/or router. I never use the cable company's modem. Buy a highly rated one on Amazon that is compatible with your provider. Pair it with a good router, and unless you're in a tiny dorm or apartment a mesh system is highly desirable.
Thanks!

I don't think you understand what we're talking about here. We're talking about the streaming platforms that stream traditional TV channels. Disney+, Netflix and the others do not do that.

Reactions: 08Vol and RollerVol
As others have mentioned, YTTV is very good. I've been a Direct now/ATT now customer for a year or so. $50 when I first signed up. Last bill $72, projected next bill $ 75. I have no add ons. Crappy guide, lots of buffering. Jumped on the You Tube 14 day trial. What a difference. Every channel I need except History. Great layout and guide, search features. $55 a month. I'm on board. Kicked Direct to the curb.

Last edited:
They haven't formally announced it yet, but YouTubeTV is going to have a price increase between $15-25/month next year, depending on what channels and DVR capabilities you want. So buyer beware.

The problem with all of the streaming services is that they are all hemorrhaging money. Their programming costs are the same as cable companies, but they can't make money by selling you internet. The business model for them was to build subscribers quickly, then increase the price to less than cable, but still expensive. They're all going up sooner rather than later, or they'll just fold like Playstation Vue is.

I really don’t care as long as I don’t have to get locked into a contract. I pay for YouTube TV during football season then cancel at the end. I stick with Prime and free stuff on Roku the rest of the year. About to cancel Netflix because it sucks.

Over a year it would still be cheaper than cable to keep Youtube for just football season.

Reactions: 08Vol and 615vols
I have YouTube TV as well. We love it. Also, we use our YouTube TV login to access the ESPN app on our Roku to get additional games not on YouTube TV (just learned I could do this a couple of weeks ago). Not sure what other apps allow this but I know for a fact it works on ESPN. To me, YouTube tv is the closest to having the actual Cable tv feel.

First post btw. Long time lurker. Couldn’t pass up the opportunity to help some other vol fans out. GBO!

Disney+ isn’t the same thing as YouTube tv, Hulu live, or sling. Those stream live cable tv, Disney+ doesn’t. It carries a library of Disney properties like marvel and Star Wars, all the old animated Disney stuff and so on. They have nothing to do with each other.

But they will is THE point. Disney or anyone else today could pick up Dish for a deep discount compared to what the doofus at AT&T paid for it as an example. Other carriers andf services will fall and the survivors will pick up the pieces. Disney will be one of the survivors. Comcast has pipes but they are so bad and have screwed their customers for years with inflated pricing and poor customer service MANY MANY MANY people cannot wait to dump their ISP service and go 100% 5G through the air, hello Verizon,T-Mobile, and AT&T. If you own Comcast stock, better sell it while you can is my advice. In fairness Charter is a slightly better cable company BUT strategically they're in trouble as well.

But they will is THE point. Disney or anyone else today could pick up Dish for a deep discount compared to what the doofus at AT&T paid for it as an example. Other carriers andf services will fall and the survivors will pick up the pieces. Disney will be one of the survivors. Comcast has pipes but they are so bad and have screwed their customers for years with inflated pricing and poor customer service MANY MANY MANY people cannot wait to dump their ISP service and go 100% 5G through the air, hello Verizon,T-Mobile, and AT&T. If you own Comcast stock, better sell it while you can is my advice. In fairness Charter is a slightly better cable company BUT strategically they're in trouble as well.

But that’s not what you said originally. Your exact words were “Disney’s $7.99 has changed the game” and went on to say how unless the live tv services could lower to that price they were done. That isn’t true because Disney+ and things like YouTube tv are 2 completely different things targeting different customers. Now you’re saying you meant Disney will enter the live tv streaming game. They may, but if so I guarantee you it’s not gonna be $7.99 like Disney + is now, which makes the point in your original post meaningless.

Reactions: 08Vol
But that’s not what you said originally. Your exact words were “Disney’s $7.99 has changed the game” and went on to say how unless the live tv services could lower to that price they were done. That isn’t true because Disney+ and things like YouTube tv are 2 completely different things targeting different customers. Now you’re saying you meant Disney will enter the live tv streaming game. They may, but if so I guarantee you it’s not gonna be $7.99 like Disney + is now, which makes the point in your original post meaningless.

The below $10 price point IS another main point. Disney drew a line in the sand while Netflix increases prices, HBO Now has entry point at about $15, Hulu is going up, even ESPN hasd a package at $5, they know what's up as Disney owns them, Disney, CBS, and others pull content from those like Netflix who previously were able to pay for their customers to access them. Youtube at $25 and up??? Here's the deal if you're a content provider or an ISP, you're not going to survive at $15 a month. Disney and 5G companies and others will run the Comcasts and anyone else out of business streaming at $7 per month plus their 5G mobile data. Comcast and Charter have been shot through the heart and are the walking dead, they already bleed millions of cord cutters per month now. After the bottom falls out of their stock, guess who gets to buy them for a song? If I buy Disney for $7, ESPN for $5, and Youtube say at $25, that's $37 per month and cable providers are dead trying to sell any content at all. they're left with pipes then. They're going to sell data over coax cheaper than 5G mobile companies can sell it through the air bundled with phone and content? How does Comcast provide their "mobile wifi network" when nobody has their equipment in their house any longer? They can't now, see the Disney, ESPN, and Youtube model I can buy today as their content competition and the 5G networks building out.

Prediction, you'll see a Verizon or TMobile get bought by a major content provider like Disney in the next 5 years. AT&T is under Board of Director pressure for going in to so much debt for Time Warner/content knowing nothing about that business, Wall Street hates that. They'll love a conetnt provider buying a data through the air pipe company. Comcast will try to sell and will get little interest other than their content properties is my prediction.

Last edited:
I have YouTube TV as well. We love it. Also, we use our YouTube TV login to access the ESPN app on our Roku to get additional games not on YouTube TV (just learned I could do this a couple of weeks ago). Not sure what other apps allow this but I know for a fact it works on ESPN. To me, YouTube tv is the closest to having the actual Cable tv feel.

First post btw. Long time lurker. Couldn’t pass up the opportunity to help some other vol fans out. GBO!

WELCOME HOME KNUCKLES...:D

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT MIZZOU!

Reactions: Vol_knuckles
Does ESPN+ carry all games? I'm wondering because I did the bundle for Disney plus since I already have HULU. ESPN+ comes with the bundling, All for 12 bucks plus change. Any one know?
There are better options. Remember, streaming is legal in the USA as long as your not downloading.

VN Store

Back