Brohm May Be Running at Tennessee

no.

i get why people are willing to put up a hard "no" on Brohm. and i'm not saying he should be the guy.

but if you look at him, really, he has a solid resume and has won at ever level he's coached.

if they were to hire a Jeff Brohm, there's actually very little tangible evidence that says it's a bad hire.

I understand as well. I know everyone wants that big name hire, but who is it...really? Dreams seldom come true! In all reality, we will gamble regardless if a dream doesn't come true, we will have to take the coach that would least likely be that bad hire.

And Brohm in no way looks to be another version of Butch like someone on here said.

And also the same guy said last Monday night MNF was in Chicago and same plane landed there as well.....#Grumors

I hate that the modern coaching era has teams pulling the lever on guys like Brohm. He may be a great coach, but he's only been a HC for four years. He was at WK for three and this is his first at Purdue.

Butch Jones was at CM for three years. He looked like an up-and-comer and was hired away to Cincinnati. He was there three years. He looked like an up-and-comer and was hired away to Tennessee.

Three years isn't telling you a whole lot. Especially when you take over a program that was pretty well coached. Jones was chasing Kelly and Brohm goes in behind Petrino.

The guy has coached six games at Purdue. Six games.

Again, he may be a good coach, but the verdict is still out, IMO. What happens when the program is completely imprinted in his image? We don't know. We know what happened to this program under CBJ, and the two kinda look the same on paper to me.

But, if UT gets shot down by every legitimate candidate, then I guess this guy is as good as any to be the next crap shoot.

Brohm is like option number 10. He hasn't proven anything. He won at WKU.... Okay, well Petrino did and he sucks at Louisville now. Brohm also has a horrible schedule. He plays 2 ranked teams this year in Wisconsin and Michigan. He lost both.

He's literally on the same trajectory of Butch Jones at CMU and Cincy

Also, the fact that he has a 4 million dollar buyout is more than enough for me to not want him after commenting close to 10 million just to buyout Butch. Brohm is not worth a 15-20 million dollar investment that is for buyouts.

buyouts are a fact of life today and no matter who we hire, in total, it's going to cost us between $20-$25m when all is said and done.

and there's a reason why these coaches don't have the resumes you're used to seeing in the past. virtually everyone we look at save 1 or 2 candidates, are going to have similar or WORSE trajectories/resumes...
Coaching Landscape (long...tl/dr, don't care...lol)

Agree.
Does more with inferior talent. Take all those Syracuse 2 stars and make them 4 star players at UT...watch out. Of course it will not happen.
Brohm is Dooley on Red Bull.

Congratulations! That is one of the dumbest posts I have ever seen!

Babers has one with 2 stars?

What do you think Brohm has been working with?

Dooley's record at La Tech was below .500 while Brohm went 30-10 at WKU. I would think that that is not even comparable numbers.
Brohm has had four 2 star players drafted in the last 2 seasons.
His WKU team in 2016 scored over 45 points a game and played Bama closer than UT did.
He has recruited well in FL, GA and the Louisville area. If he can get players to leave FL to go to WKU, he should have no problem getting players from those areas to come to UT. Offensive players love playing in a Brohm offense. It is fast tempo, multiple and exciting.
Also very important is players enjoy playing for him. He has a great offensive mind like Petrino, without the arrogance.
Absent a Gruden (unlikely) or Kelly (also unlikely) Brohm would be a great choice.
Coaching is coaching. Brohm is a very good coach.

Disclaimer: I am not a relative of Brohm or his agent. Lol

Not my first choice, but I would be cautiously optimistic if he were hired.

Other than the competition, I don't get the comparisons to Butch Jones. Brohm is considered to be a great offensive mind and an excellent QB coach, something that cannot be said about BJ with a straight face.

Plus, it would mean the return of an old friend, the I formation.

My only concern is the up-tempo comment. As we have seen, quick scoring offenses tend to put a lot of strain on the defense.

Reactions: 1 person
Do people not remember that Urban Meyer was 40-8 with an unbeaten season, a BCS bowl win and a #1 NFL draft pick QB when Florida hired him? My gosh, 8-3 is the worst record he's ever had as a head coach, he's had as many 1 loss or unbeaten seasons as 3 loss seasons in his career. This is Brohm's 4th season as a head coach and he's lost 3 games or more in 3 of them with several more likely to arrive this season. There's no comparison to this point in their careers. Brohm looks like any of dozens of competent lower level coaches. Will he become a great coach? Maybe. Though tbh he's old enough now that it should have happened already. Meyer had won 2 national titles by the time he was Brohm's current age.

Meyer didn't play professional football for 7 years. not really a fair comparison.

buyouts are a fact of life today and no matter who we hire, in total, it's going to cost us between $20-$25m when all is said and done.

and there's a reason why these coaches don't have the resumes you're used to seeing in the past. virtually everyone we look at save 1 or 2 candidates, are going to have similar or WORSE trajectories/resumes...
Coaching Landscape (long...tl/dr, don't care...lol)

Gruden (Pipe dream)
Chip Kelly (More unlikely than likely)
Les Miles (50/50 to be hired)

All are lightyears ahead of Brohm and require no buyout.

. . . if they were to hire a Jeff Brohm, there's actually very little tangible evidence that says it's a bad hire.

I'm not sure that's the right point of view. Perhaps " there's actually very little tangible evidence that says it's a bad hire," but it would be a whole lot better to hire a coach with a great deal of tangible evidence that says it's a good hire.

I am not making the claim that the two coaches are similar in any way other than their resumes. Brohm and CBJ's career histories are similar.

Okay, here is another name NOBODY is talking about -- Gary Pinkel. His story about being sick was BS. He left because of an affair that was about to come out, plus Mizzou was becoming toxic politically. Talk about a coach that can turn 3 stars into an SEC East champion -- he's proved it.

Gruden (Pipe dream)

I like Miles and his players loved playing for him, but as a strategic, thoughtful coach, he is light years ahead of NO ONE.
He recruited great players, hired good Assts. then stood on the sidelines and ate grass.
Brohm is light years ahead of Miles as a coach when it comes to making adjustments, game planning, etc.

I like Miles and his players loved playing for him, but as a strategic, thoughtful coach, he is light years ahead of NO ONE.
He recruited great players, hired good Assts. then stood on the sidelines and ate grass.
Brohm is light years ahead of Miles as a coach when it comes to making adjustments, game planning, etc.

Golly people are dumb here sometimes. He got fired from LSU for a specific reason! If he wants another job at a big school, he has to change that reason. Give him a blank check and hire a talented OC and there will be no offensive issues. Its that simple.

Ugh... all I can say is I hope the Purdue AD slaps a massive buyout on Brohm. Not saying he'd walk into UT and succeed or fail. But dude definitely has an "it" factor we who call West Lafayette our home have not seen in over 10 years since Tiller retired. And now that we have a ray of hope finally shining down on Ross-Aide, here come all the big boys wanting to snipe him away...
nah. It's just the hilltopper alumni association that wants him. Big boys aren't interested, yet.

This guy could be the next Urban Meyer... Not saying he will be, but he's on a similar path. All Florida knew was Urban ran a killer offense and was good at developing QBs. Brohm does that.

This is just wrong. Meyer was the head coach at Bowling Green and Utah before UF. During that time he had a win % in the 80’s which is incredible after 4 years. He also took Utah, a G5 school, to a BCS game and beat Pittsburgh. Meyer was about as much of a sure thing as you could get. For comparison Butch’s win % before coming to UT was right at 60. The person he followed to both coaching stops, Brian Kelly, was around 65% when he left for ND

Okay, here is another name NOBODY is talking about -- Gary Pinkel. His story about being sick was BS. He left because of an affair that was about to come out, plus Mizzou was becoming toxic politically. Talk about a coach that can turn 3 stars into an SEC East champion -- he's proved it.

Good coach, but what you're saying isn't true. He's in remission. You should be banned from this message board.

This is just wrong. Meyer was the head coach at Bowling Green and Utah before UF. During that time he had a win % in the 80’s which is incredible after 4 years. He also took Utah, a G5 school, to a BCS game and beat Pittsburgh. Meyer was about as much of a sure thing as you could get. For comparison Butch’s win % before coming to UT was right at 60. The person he followed to both coaching stops, Brian Kelly, was around 65% when he left for ND

Again, I'm not saying Brohm will be the next Meyer, but you do know his winning percentage was 75% prior to taking on the rebuilding project at Purdue, right? Right now he's at 71.7%

Lets face it only one "realistic" hire will restore instant credibility...Chip. It would be the equivalent of Meyer returning to OSU or Harbaugh to Michigan.

Miles couldn't even get Purdue to hire him. Ole Miss might though.

Short of that we roll the dice w/ a coordinator or a Grp 5 coach. I just don't think we are pulling a P5 guy away. (Fuente, Doeren, Patterson).

Petrino still seems too toxic for this administration/boosters.

I can't see us paying Brohm's $4M buyout w/ his "thin" resume.

Frost is waiting for Nebraska.

Norvell is to Justin Fuente as Butch Jones is to Brian Kelly.

So you are looking for a guy who's been at his school for 3-5 yrs and built it up from nothing or an up and coming OC/DC. I pref OC---we can save $$ by keeping Shoop. So who does that leave you...Phillip Montgomery at Tulsa. Having a rough year this year (2-5)..victim of Horrible Defense (Thus keep Shoop). Took over at 10-2 team and went 6-7, followed by 10-3 in 2016. Art Briles w/out the baggage. Or Neil Brown at Troy. Took troy from 4-8 to 10-3. Now in year three they are 4-2, with that win against LSU.

Lastly there is Mike Bobo at CSU. Former GA QB/OC. Let some pretty good offenses. I am afraid he's just following in McElwain's shoes (a'la Butch)

Gruden (Pipe dream)

and those are the 1 or 2, or 3, i was referencing above. EVERYONE else will.

and all 3 of those come with some level of baggage, while also meeting the "splash hire" requirement that will sit well with fans and media. doesn't mean they're going to be "that guy". Gruden hasn't coached a down of college football in a very long time, hasn't coached any football other than some camps in a decade.

Kelly is for all intents and purposes Butch Jones from an offensive standpoint. we talk about Butch being a mercenary....what do you think Kelly is? while there's no buyout, he'll demand a high price tag. which is fine. if this administration is set on Chip Kelly being our nick saban or urban meyer, then go get him and don't take no for answer. i don't personally think he'll be "great", but i wouldn't blame us for going after him in that manner. in the end, i don't think it happens.

Miles is 64, and got fired because he refused to change offensively and could not, for the better part of the last 5 years, put an offense on the field capable of competing at a championship level. all of Miles' success came on the heels of Saban leaving....and ended upon his return. Miles is better than Butch, yes. but at 64, with his track record of stubbornness, he's not who i want to mortgage our future on. if we're going after a bonafide college coach not working....make your play on Stoops or Kelly....

but again, i'm just not convinced any of that is in the cards for us, given the money it would take to get any of them to consider it, and especially when you consider who would be ponying up the cash, i'm not sure you can get them all on the same page.

the only 1 on that list that they might could all get behind would be Gruden. but they haven't been able to lure him in the past, and i don't see enough there now to say he's "ready" to leave his current gig for this kind of grind.

boiling it down, you're looking at a coach from what most will consider 2nd tier.

there is NO ONE that currently has performed at P5 conference/national championship level that we'll get to leave their current position for TN. the most realistic of that group would probably be James Franklin, and i doubt seriously we could get everyone that needed to back that move, to actually back it.

I'm not sure that's the right point of view. Perhaps " there's actually very little tangible evidence that says it's a bad hire," but it would be a whole lot better to hire a coach with a great deal of tangible evidence that says it's a good hire.

I am not making the claim that the two coaches are similar in any way other than their resumes. Brohm and CBJ's career histories are similar.
fair point on the "point of view". my only intention was to say that past the "big names" most have thrown out there, that i don't think will leave their current positions, Brohm's resume is as good or better than anyone you'll put him up against. which means i could make the same argument for several candidates you'd put up against Brhom, from that same level of coaches.

Gruden hasn't coached a down of football in over a decade. he's a TV personality that is likable. could he win big here? i can see it. i just don't see Gruden leaving his multi million dollar gig for this rat race. but again, if you can get him, go do it. no one will blame them if they do.

Kelly? he'll demand a high price tag, and i'm not convinced his style of play can consistently win in this league given the defenses you face vs. the what the pac 12 offers in that category. CBJ's offense sure hasn't fared well w/out a guy that can cover up the flaws with his legs at QB. the same would be true in Kelly's offense. but again, if the admin is dead set and believes he is, make it happen. you couldn't blame them if they do.

Miles. no, i've already explained.

past those three, the only coaches that fit the criteria you describe are Saban, Fisher, Meyer, Franklin. and i don't see any of them leaving their current job for TN. then you get in to names like Peterson, who's not leaving the west coast or Patterson, who is TCU football and at this point, is their Phil Fulmer. sometimes guys just fit at certain schools, and 10 years ago, i'd of taken Patterson in a new york second. now having been there 17 years...i'm not sure he can just transplant to Knoxville and replicate what he's done there. i think Patterson and TCU are a perfect fit for each other....

i don't have a good feel for any of these candidates, and you can make good arguments for all of them.

but the fact that we can have discussions like this and have so much dichotomy and varying opinions should tell you what we already know......

there is no sure fire, next big thing, out there.....and hiring any of these guys is going to leave some portions of the fan base feeling like "wtf?", and others feeling really good. i think the only guy out there right now that could come in and have the vast majority of the fans all in, day 1, is probably Gruden.

past that, expect this discussion to continue in earnest, well past the announcement of the next coach at UTK.

hiring PInkel or Les Miles or DAvid Cutcliffe is the equivalent of USCe hiring Lou Holtz or Steve Spurrier.

they're stop gaps used to bolster a program up to something it hasn't been previously.

that's not who we are, right?

and if we did hire a coach like that, that would tell you a lot about where we REALLY are in the fabric of college football today....and that would not be a good thing.

Just finished watching Brohms post game presser from the Michigan game and reading some comments. Like the way he presents himself. Wouldn't mind having a guy like this lead our program. Sounds like a straight up guy who has some intensity. He can certainly develop a QB. Guy is going to be a winner I suspect.

Reactions: 2 people
Glimpse of the past...or a look into the future? Brohm at Tennessee in '93.

Attachments

• Brohm at Louisville.jpg
    Brohm at Louisville.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

VN Store

Back