Brohm May Be Running at Tennessee

Do people not remember that Urban Meyer was 40-8 with an unbeaten season, a BCS bowl win and a #1 NFL draft pick QB when Florida hired him? My gosh, 8-3 is the worst record he's ever had as a head coach, he's had as many 1 loss or unbeaten seasons as 3 loss seasons in his career. This is Brohm's 4th season as a head coach and he's lost 3 games or more in 3 of them with several more likely to arrive this season. There's no comparison to this point in their careers. Brohm looks like any of dozens of competent lower level coaches. Will he become a great coach? Maybe. Though tbh he's old enough now that it should have happened already. Meyer had won 2 national titles by the time he was Brohm's current age.

Reactions: 3 people
Butch Jones 2.0. Brohm hasn't come close to proving he can win at a big time program

Purdue is the Vanderbilt of the big10, bottom of the barrel. In their last 4 seasons they have won a total of 9 games. In his first year he is already turning it around. He beat fellow up and comer pj fleck, he beat the crap out of Missouri, came this close to beating Louisville, and was competitive with the now #19 and #5 team in the country. If we played their schedule we would be 2-4 AT BEST with 3 blowout losses.

And this is his first season with a team that, let me repeat this, is 9-39 over the last 4 seasons.

For reference Butch took a 12 win team to 4-8

Reactions: 1 person
Anyone trying to sell Jeff Brohm as a great hire is a moron. He's a guy you settle for after missing out on your top 3 targets.

The only unproven coach I'm willing accept is Scott Frost.

Everyone else can kick rocks.

Reactions: 2 people
Anyone trying to sell Jeff Brohm as a great hire is a moron. He's a guy you settle for after missing out on your top 3 targets.

I would much rather have him than Frost so I guess that I am a moron. We cannot all be as intelligent as you Dobbs for Heisman. You're the moron!

Reactions: 3 people
Purdue is the Vanderbilt of the big10, bottom of the barrel. In their last 4 seasons they have won a total of 9 games. In his first year he is already turning it around. He beat fellow up and comer pj fleck, he beat the crap out of Missouri, came this close to beating Louisville, and was competitive with the now #19 and #5 team in the country. If we played their schedule we would be 2-4 AT BEST with 3 blowout losses.

And this is his first season with a team that, let me repeat this, is 9-39 over the last 4 seasons.

He has one conference win in B10. Not enough evidence. Maybe next time.

Actually, Northwestern is the Vandy of the Big 10. Purdue is more like Ole Miss/Arkansas.

Only part I disagree with is that I'd put him below my top 20 choices instead of top 3.

He turned down Fulmer as I remember and picked Louisville. As I remember UT was probably going to be starting a Freshman QB and they wanted 2 top notch QB's to come in and compete. Brohm decided he wanted to go the easier route to Louisville. Although he said UT's facilities and all blew Louisville's away. Seems like he's a Louisville on his mind and I do think Petrino was on the Louisville staff at the time and Snellenberger was the HC.

Only part I disagree with is that I'd put him below my top 20 choices instead of top 3.

Frost has only 18 games under his belt as a HC and he would be better than Brohm? I don't think so! He is 11-7 against absolute cupcakes. I don't doubt Frost can or will be a good coach, but he is in no way a better candidate than Brohm.

Really don't think it matters anyway, if either one come here, they'd leave for their Alma Mater when it becomes available.

With all due respect, not another “up and comer”. Need someone with proven record for proven program.

I would like nothing more than that myself, but....who is that going to be. 80% of the names thrown around here that is proven will not ever leave where they are now. And if you are out of the game right now, there is a reason for that as well.

Ugh... all I can say is I hope the Purdue AD slaps a massive buyout on Brohm. Not saying he'd walk into UT and succeed or fail. But dude definitely has an "it" factor we who call West Lafayette our home have not seen in over 10 years since Tiller retired. And now that we have a ray of hope finally shining down on Ross-Aide, here come all the big boys wanting to snipe him away...

Heck at this point Pat Fitzgerald would be a much safer hire than Brohm.
no.

i get why people are willing to put up a hard "no" on Brohm. and i'm not saying he should be the guy.

but if you look at him, really, he has a solid resume and has won at ever level he's coached.

if they were to hire a Jeff Brohm, there's actually very little tangible evidence that says it's a bad hire.

I hate that the modern coaching era has teams pulling the lever on guys like Brohm. He may be a great coach, but he's only been a HC for four years. He was at WK for three and this is his first at Purdue.

Butch Jones was at CM for three years. He looked like an up-and-comer and was hired away to Cincinnati. He was there three years. He looked like an up-and-comer and was hired away to Tennessee.

Three years isn't telling you a whole lot. Especially when you take over a program that was pretty well coached. Jones was chasing Kelly and Brohm goes in behind Petrino.

The guy has coached six games at Purdue. Six games.

Again, he may be a good coach, but the verdict is still out, IMO. What happens when the program is completely imprinted in his image? We don't know. We know what happened to this program under CBJ, and the two kinda look the same on paper to me.

But, if UT gets shot down by every legitimate candidate, then I guess this guy is as good as any to be the next crap shoot.

Reactions: 1 person
I saw on twitter a guy tracking UT planes and they have been in Lexington and Ohio over three times each location this week alone. hmmm petrino you might say??

no.

i get why people are willing to put up a hard "no" on Brohm. and i'm not saying he should be the guy.

but if you look at him, really, he has a solid resume and has won at ever level he's coached.

if they were to hire a Jeff Brohm, there's actually very little tangible evidence that says it's a bad hire.

Brohm is like option number 10. He hasn't proven anything. He won at WKU.... Okay, well Petrino did and he sucks at Louisville now. Brohm also has a horrible schedule. He plays 2 ranked teams this year in Wisconsin and Michigan. He lost both.

He's literally on the same trajectory of Butch Jones at CMU and Cincy

Also, the fact that he has a 4 million dollar buyout is more than enough for me to not want him after commenting close to 10 million just to buyout Butch. Brohm is not worth a 15-20 million dollar investment that is for buyouts.

Brohm is like option number 10. He hasn't proven anything. He won at WKU.... Okay, well Petrino did and he sucks at Louisville now. Brohm also has a horrible schedule. He plays 2 ranked teams this year in Wisconsin and Michigan. He lost both.

He's literally on the same trajectory of Butch Jones at CMU and Cincy

Also, the fact that he has a 4 million dollar buyout is more than enough for me to not want him after commenting close to 10 million just to buyout Butch. Brohm is not worth a 15-20 million dollar investment that is for buyouts.
Your constant inability to see beneath the surface is exhausting.

VN Store

Back