Brohm May Be Running at Tennessee

another big 10 guy who has done good at sub par schools.....I am not impressed if that's the hire.

Louisville is in deep financial trouble. Facing major lawsuit with Pitino. Petrino will try to run out the door following AD firing. Complete chaos, loss of big donors, basketball following, need to pay off new facilities- Brohm has much better job at Purdue. Not sure he would be interested in Tennessee which is getting reputation as Coaches' Graveyard similar to Vandy years ago.

fair point on the "point of view". my only intention was to say that past the "big names" most have thrown out there, that i don't think will leave their current positions, Brohm's resume is as good or better than anyone you'll put him up against. which means i could make the same argument for several candidates you'd put up against Brhom, from that same level of coaches.

Gruden hasn't coached a down of football in over a decade. he's a TV personality that is likable. could he win big here? i can see it. i just don't see Gruden leaving his multi million dollar gig for this rat race. but again, if you can get him, go do it. no one will blame them if they do.

Kelly? he'll demand a high price tag, and i'm not convinced his style of play can consistently win in this league given the defenses you face vs. the what the pac 12 offers in that category. CBJ's offense sure hasn't fared well w/out a guy that can cover up the flaws with his legs at QB. the same would be true in Kelly's offense. but again, if the admin is dead set and believes he is, make it happen. you couldn't blame them if they do.

Miles. no, i've already explained.

past those three, the only coaches that fit the criteria you describe are Saban, Fisher, Meyer, Franklin. and i don't see any of them leaving their current job for TN. then you get in to names like Peterson, who's not leaving the west coast or Patterson, who is TCU football and at this point, is their Phil Fulmer. sometimes guys just fit at certain schools, and 10 years ago, i'd of taken Patterson in a new york second. now having been there 17 years...i'm not sure he can just transplant to Knoxville and replicate what he's done there. i think Patterson and TCU are a perfect fit for each other....

i don't have a good feel for any of these candidates, and you can make good arguments for all of them.

but the fact that we can have discussions like this and have so much dichotomy and varying opinions should tell you what we already know......

there is no sure fire, next big thing, out there.....and hiring any of these guys is going to leave some portions of the fan base feeling like "wtf?", and others feeling really good. i think the only guy out there right now that could come in and have the vast majority of the fans all in, day 1, is probably Gruden.

past that, expect this discussion to continue in earnest, well past the announcement of the next coach at UTK.

I agree with you. I think it ultimately gets back to the very well made points from your other coaching thread. Coaches, Brohm included, get moved through the "system" so quickly that you don't have a true sense of what they are. With that I mind, I would have, at best, a "let's wait and see" attitude about Brohm. The same attitude I had about CBJ.

But, to your point, the list of guys that most wouldn't have the "let's wait and see" attitude about is pretty short, and getting one of them is not as easy as some would like to think.

FLORIDA hired a coach from Duke of all freaking places, the old ball coach then proceeded to WOFA'S for the next we decade or so. Does not matter where he coached if he is the right coach.

He also beat us when he coached at Duke....it was our homecoming game...1989, I think.

I agree with you. I think it ultimately gets back to the very well made points from your other coaching thread. Coaches, Brohm included, get moved through the "system" so quickly that you don't have a true sense of what they are. With that I mind, I would have, at best, a "let's wait and see" attitude about Brohm. The same attitude I had about CBJ.

But, to your point, the list of guys that most wouldn't have the "let's wait and see" attitude about is pretty short, and getting one of them is not as easy as some would like to think.

exactly. and i don't think anyone can really name a single person we'd look at and not have basically the same attitude.

i'm not gonna lie, while i'm not necessarily promoting for Brohm, as you do look around, at guys at this kind of level, he really does have a good resume. the kind of resume, minus going to a NY6/BCS type bowl, that some of the guys that now have big names had. the same kind of resume Charlie STrong had mind you....(it really is an inexact science and fit matters...i fully believe Strong would have been much better here, than at TX.)

maybe brohm isn't Meyer or Saban or Stoops, but could he be Mack Brown or Mark Richt or Fisher? i mean, we all know it...Saban and Meyer are on a level to their own. it's unrealistic to think or expect our next guy be "that". and i don't think we do tbh. i think if we did get a Mack Brown type that won 9/10 games a year, was a regular competitor in the conf, threw their hat in the NT race a couple times...most would take that over the next 10-12 years.

what really is the difference between a Scott Frost and Jeff Brohm? really?

anyway, it is what it is presently. not gonna argue about this guy or that guy for sure.

we'll wait and see.:thumbsup:

Brohm would be in my list of 2nd tier guys after offering the job to Franklin, Gruden, and Kelly. Odds are those guys turn us down. So he is very realistic.

Brohm is a QB guy. Very good passing attack. SEC East history says "QB guys" win in the east. Spurrier, Richt, Cut.... They all won. The only thing that gives me pause is can he recruit how it takes. But he is a hard nosed guy who I believe would work hard and as long as he is a hard worker I believe the recruiting would be there.

Brohm would be in my list of 2nd tier guys after offering the job to Franklin, Gruden, and Kelly. Odds are those guys turn us down. So he is very realistic.

Brohm is a QB guy. Very good passing attack. SEC East history says "QB guys" win in the east. Spurrier, Richt, Cut.... They all won. The only thing that gives me pause is can he recruit how it takes. But he is a hard nosed guy who I believe would work hard and as long as he is a hard worker I believe the recruiting would be there.

this is probably a fair view to take regarding Brohm...or Frost...or any other coach from that level of coaches.

interesting point on the qb coaching in the SEC East....:thumbsup:

as for recruiting, a lot of that will depend on the staff, and he has ties to the area from WKU, including i think Walt Wells??? i have no idea about his current staff at Purdue.

Louisville is in deep financial trouble. Facing major lawsuit with Pitino. Petrino will try to run out the door following AD firing. Complete chaos, loss of big donors, basketball following, need to pay off new facilities- Brohm has much better job at Purdue. Not sure he would be interested in Tennessee which is getting reputation as Coaches' Graveyard similar to Vandy years ago.

Petrino would accept the UT job in a heartbeat.

This is just wrong. Meyer was the head coach at Bowling Green and Utah before UF. During that time he had a win % in the 80’s which is incredible after 4 years. He also took Utah, a G5 school, to a BCS game and beat Pittsburgh. Meyer was about as much of a sure thing as you could get. For comparison Butch’s win % before coming to UT was right at 60. The person he followed to both coaching stops, Brian Kelly, was around 65% when he left for ND

This seems to be the problem Tennessee is in, and a growing problem in coaching. There is a lack of "top coaching" availability. Saban, Meyer - not going anywhere. Peterson - likely not going anywhere. The next tier have not yet been in their positions long enough to prove that they are they rising star.
I actually like Brohm, but want to see him in 2 years at Purdue to see if he actually turns them around. The problem is, he will be long gone before that happens, more than likely.
I actually think James Franklin could be one of those top coaches. Look at what he did with Vandy. Now he has Penn State in the top 10 and in discussions for Playoffs. Of course he does have Saquon Barkley, who likely makes things far easier for him. What does Franklin look like after he leaves? That is what will show whether he was just riding Barkley, or if he stands on his own.
Kelley could be good, or could be bad. I think it in part depends on the assistants brought in. Also, He is definitely married to his system, like Butch. If it isn't working, can he adjust and change things to make it work? I am not sure.

Gruden would be fun, as long as he brought in good assistants, but I just don't see it happening. He has been out of the coaching game for a while, so it could be a little bumpy getting back into it as well.

Les Miles is just Butch with Louisiana recruits. We didn't beat UGA or Florida last year because of coaching, we won because of better players and a lot of luck, in spite of coaching blunders. Les Miles didn't win games because of his coaching acumen, he won because of better players and often times just dumb luck, in spite of his own blunders.

Brohm would win at Tennessee, immediately. Excellent X's and O's coach.

Reactions: 1 person
Welp. this thread has gained traction so I will offer the knock against Brohm. First, I don't think he has any recruiting ties in the south. he is a Yankee. He will need time to build on the recruiting ties Butch started. Honestly, DJ would be a better choice then Brohm because he has major, long standing Florida recruiting ties, and when he has his guys he can win. I might take DJ over Brohm, but that's me. Who ever comes into UT needs to have a PASSION about recruiting. He needs to wake up, eat his corn flakes, and day dream about recruiting. DJ is a better option when looked at it that way.

Welp. this thread has gained traction so I will offer the knock against Brohm. First, I don't think he has any recruiting ties in the south. he is a Yankee. He will need time to build on the recruiting ties Butch started. Honestly, DJ would be a better choice then Brohm because he has major, long standing Florida recruiting ties, and when he has his guys he can win. I might take DJ over Brohm, but that's me. Who ever comes into UT needs to have a PASSION about recruiting. He needs to wake up, eat his corn flakes, and day dream about recruiting. DJ is a better option when looked at it that way.

Brohm ins a Louisville guy...spent most of his coaching and all his playing career in the state of Kentucky.

butch jones is a yankee. Nick Saban is yankee. les miles is a yankee. Bob Stoops is a yankee. urban meyer is a yankee.

ok, maybe it's ok if he's yankee, not named Butch Jones?

and who is DJ? Durkin?

Reactions: 2 people
Brohm ins a Louisville guy...spent most of his coaching and all his playing career in the state of Kentucky.

butch jones is a yankee. Nick Saban is yankee. les miles is a yankee. Bob Stoops is a yankee. urban meyer is a yankee.

ok, maybe it's ok if he's yankee, not named Butch Jones?

and who is DJ? Durkin?

yeah, Durkin, but you are right I've noticed that the SEC went and raided all the yankee coaches and got good.

All the OHIO coaches to be specific.

miles and jones are michigan men.

and Durkin? what exactly is so different between him and Brohm? really? both at 2nd tier B10 schools with modicums of success that don't amount to much of anything except whichever one gives you the feelz?

and iirc, this is durkin's first HC gig, correct? he was an OC before taking the MD job, at what, NCSU or something?

DJ?

The recruiting aspect is important to be sure, but I'm not sure you have to be a RECRUITER to get good talent to come to Tennessee. Derek Dooley pissed off just about every high school coach from Kingsport to Memphis and he still pulled top 10-20 classes.

Tennessee's recruiting class ranks highest since 2007

Dooley is an example of what you can get without recruiting of any kind at UT. The guy HATED recruiting. His players were here to show off for the NFL, not win games.

Durkin has deep roots in florida recruiting and he wins when he is not playing with 3rd string QB and such, but all these guys started in the Youngstown area. It's called the cradle of coaches for a reason.

Well, I'm going to correct myself before the rest of you do. The "cradle of coaches" is actually the Miami of Ohio area. The opposite side of Ohio, but it doesn't change the fact that all those guys got their start in Ohio.

Glimpse of the past...or a look into the future? Brohm at Tennessee in '93.

I was at that game. Sat in the visitors section with my brother-in-law and my mother-in-law who was a professor at UL. Fairly close game until 4th qtr when we blew it open.

Brohm would win at Tennessee, immediately. Excellent X's and O's coach.

To me Brohm is a better option than Petrino. I went back and watched a couple games at Western Kentucky and the Purdue/Michigan game. His passing attack looks almost identical to Petrino. He was a QB at Louisville then worked under Petrino before getting head coaching gigs. He has always coached QBs and always had good ones. He is really a hard nosed tough guys coach. Players respond to that. I think the guy is a young Petrino except mean'er without all the baggage. The biggest question I have regarding him would be recruiting and can his teams be physical enough. But I really like him.especially if we can't get a big name guy.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back