A Theory about JG

This isn't a matter of "faith". There is no "faith" involved in a player being able or unable to raise their performance. Just like there is no "faith" involved in whether a coach is able to elevate a player any further than their own limitations.

There's literally hundreds of hours of film of JG at this point, and what they show is a middling QB, who doesn't have the mental aptitude to play at the level necessary to be successful in the SEC. Spending additional time and resources attempting to get marginal improvement out of a 5th year QB when you have freshmen and RS freshmen QBs on the roster that have a much higher ceiling would be coaching malpractice just like we saw at the first of the 2019 season.
Its like trying to turn a Honda Civic into a Ferrari with a body kit and a turbo..

This isn't a matter of "faith". There is no "faith" involved in a player being able or unable to raise their performance. Just like there is no "faith" involved in whether a coach is able to elevate a player any further than their own limitations.

There's literally hundreds of hours of film of JG at this point, and what they show is a middling QB, who doesn't have the mental aptitude to play at the level necessary to be successful in the SEC. Spending additional time and resources attempting to get marginal improvement out of a 5th year QB when you have freshmen and RS freshmen QBs on the roster that have a much higher ceiling would be coaching malpractice just like we saw at the first of the 2019 season.
Define being successful in the SEC. Most think it's successful to go from being the worst team in the SEC in '17 to top half of the league in 2 years. You act like the turnaround should have been greater which is unrealistic when looking at the Vols roster the last few years. You enjoy being negative all the time so I'm assuming that is just how you are always going to be. I enjoy watching the neverJG snowflakes moan and groan year round, kinda funny really.

Define being successful in the SEC. Most think it's successful to go from being the worst team in the SEC in '17 to top half of the league in 2 years. You act like the turnaround should have been greater which is unrealistic when looking at the Vols roster the last few years. You enjoy being negative all the time so I'm assuming that is just how you are always going to be. I enjoy watching the neverJG snowflakes moan and groan year round, kinda funny really.

Being statistically in the top half of the SEC is not the same as being successful as a QB. Especially in a year when half the conference was starting backs, freshmen, or in the case of Kentucky, a wide receiver as QB.

JG has to be the first QB in CFB history to have fanatics like yourself, so enamored with YPA that you are willing to see the overall performance of the team be lessened just so your favorite player can continue to be responsible for less points per game than our kicker.

Being statistically in the top half of the SEC is not the same as being successful as a QB. Especially in a year when half the conference was starting backs, freshmen, or in the case of Kentucky, a wide receiver as QB.

JG has to be the first QB in CFB history to have fanatics like yourself, so enamored with YPA that you are willing to see the overall performance of the team be lessened just so your favorite player can continue to be responsible for less points per game than our kicker.
I asked you to define being successful in the SEC which you said JG could not do. I don't think you can define what being successful in the conference is because it will include exactly what the Vols were last season with JG having to bail us out all while playing injured the 2nd half of the year.

I asked you to define being successful in the SEC which you said JG could not do. I don't think you can define what being successful in the conference is because it will include exactly what the Vols were last season with JG having to bail us out all while playing injured the 2nd half of the year.

And you specifically didn't answer you, because you know what success looks like on the field, and it's not in having a high QBR and YPA while throwing a total of 16 touchdowns in a season as a RS junior.

Eh. That's a little much unless you're considering the fact he was the starter during the 1-3 start and got benched for a FR.

He recovered well after playing poorly but he played a large part in why they were in a hole to begin with.

UT should have more options next year which is a good thing.

Eh. That's a little much unless you're considering the fact he was the starter during the 1-3 start and got benched for a FR.

He recovered well after playing poorly but he played a large part in why they were in a hole to begin with.

UT should have more options next year which is a good thing.
He was the only QB on our roster that made winning plays to help lead the team to 8 wins, all while doing it with basically 1 hand.

You are pretty ridiculous.

I was ready and hopeful that JG had truly turned the corner. You played a part in convincing me that Vandy might just be an aberration. The IU JG looked very similar to the Ga St JG.

Success? One place to start... would be a 3rd year QB who had at least once in all of his starts posted more than 30 points against an FBS opponent. I know you want to point the finger everywhere BUT JG... but he is the common factor.

He was the only QB on our roster that made winning plays to help lead the team to 8 wins, all while doing it with basically 1 hand.
That's false. It just is.

Even if true, he's still the primary guy that made the O as anemic as it was and ineffective against teams like IU and GSU. UT should have absolutely boat raced those teams. JG was the primary reason it didn't happen. There were plays for him to make... and he didn't make them.

Correct. That was after he played poorly the first quarter of the season and got benched for a guy that normally wouldn't see the field. In other words, if he "bailed us out", he is included in "us".

Im giving him credit for playing well down the stretch (less the majority of the bowl game) and also giving him credit for looking like a FR to start the season.

He may very well be the starter to start the season next year, but I don't think Pruitt hitches his wagon to him for a season if he gets off to another bad start. He has more options now. Which is good for UT.

shrout and maurer contributed at times. but in the end, you're right.

but man...he made things really, really hard on himself at times. the bowl game was the epitome of JG's career to this point. hate him, love him, hate him, love him....lol.

i respect the kid. he's had plenty of opportunities to hang it up and quit/transfer, and knowing the bell cow recruit is coming in with the intent to take his job, and many fans hoping that be the case, has decided to stick and stay.....it doesn't get more "VFL" than that. so kudos imo.

to me, he's an easy kid to root for. at least as easy to hate on. he gives reason for both.....lol.

that said, he has to get better, and he has to be consistent...the roller coaster we've been on at QB has to stop. if he can be that guy, great. if not...i'm betting there's at least 1 in that room that will take the reigns.....

Correct. That was after he played poorly the first quarter of the season and got benched for a guy that normally wouldn't see the field. In other words, if he "bailed us out", he is included in "us".

Im giving him credit for playing well down the stretch (less the majority of the bowl game) and also giving him credit for looking like a FR to start the season.

He may very well be the starter to start the season next year, but I don't think Pruitt hitches his wagon to him for a season if he gets off to another bad start. He has more options now. Which is good for UT.
yeah, he dug us out of some holes.

problem is, he dug the holes in a lot of cases.

lol.....that can't continue and he continue to get the p/t he's gotten. i think everyone knows that....spring qb competition should be a good one. no pressure.

And you specifically didn't answer you, because you know what success looks like on the field, and it's not in having a high QBR and YPA while throwing a total of 16 touchdowns in a season as a RS junior.
I thought going 8-5 was absolutely a successful season considering where we came from in '17. I predicted 10-3 so it wasn't as successful as I personally thought it would be but every analyst in the country noticed how Tn played down the stretch and like him or not JG played a major role in that success. You say he can't succeed in the SEC and to me it looks like that's exactly what he did this year, all while playing with a broken hand and fractured confidence because of his poor play early in the season. I believe he will continue to improve and get better, you don't believe he was or ever has been any good, can't improve and evidently believe the Vols simply can't succeed with JG at QB even though you can't define what being successful in the SEC is, obviously you don't think going 5-3 and finishing top 6 in the conference was a success. I'd call that unrealistic expectations if that's truly what you think.

Even if true, he's still the primary guy that made the O as anemic as it was and ineffective against teams like IU and GSU. UT should have absolutely boat raced those teams. JG was the primary reason it didn't happen. There were plays for him to make... and he didn't make them.
....and yet, there were plays he did make.

our QB situation last season was hard to explain if you weren't paying attention. lol.

i still cant for the life of me see how he can miss some of the throws he would miss, and turn right around (on the next play in some cases) and make an NFL caliber throw, on time, accurate.....left me scratching my head.

Leading your team to be competitive for a chance at the SEC championship game.

shrout and maurer contributed at times. but in the end, you're right.

but man...he made things really, really hard on himself at times. the bowl game was the epitome of JG's career to this point. hate him, love him, hate him, love him....lol.

i respect the kid. he's had plenty of opportunities to hang it up and quit/transfer, and knowing the bell cow recruit is coming in with the intent to take his job, and many fans hoping that be the case, has decided to stick and stay.....it doesn't get more "VFL" than that. so kudos imo.

to me, he's an easy kid to root for. at least as easy to hate on. he gives reason for both.....lol.

that said, he has to get better, and he has to be consistent...the roller coaster we've been on at QB has to stop. if he can be that guy, great. if not...i'm betting there's at least 1 in that room that will take the reigns.....
I totally agree with all of this. I also believe that Coach Pruitt handled the QB position pretty good last season and because of it BM, Shrout, newcomer blue chip HB alongside an experienced JG make up one of if not the best QB rooms in the SEC. Pruitt is no dummy, if JG struggles early next year there will definitely be some quality replacing him, I believe it'll be HB but that's another argument.

....and yet, there were plays he did make.

our QB situation last season was hard to explain if you weren't paying attention. lol.

i still cant for the life of me see how he can miss some of the throws he would miss, and turn right around (on the next play in some cases) and make an NFL caliber throw, on time, accurate.....left me scratching my head.

Just an opinion... but he hits the ones that allow him to process and throw to a receiver who has already separated. He can't anticipate separation or throw effectively to a spot. He struggles to make snap decisions instinctively based on what he's reading.

It isn't that he's bad all of the time but that he has some particular weaknesses that DC's repeatedly use to stifle UT's O. It isn't even necessarily the more talented D's. IU was one of the least talented D's UT faced... and JG struggled. They took away what he does well.... and what he does poorly, he does very poorly.

FWIW, he has a terrific arm in my opinion. I think he throws a beautiful ball and has historically been accurate in terms of throwing to the spot he wants to throw to. He has a lot of things you want in a QB in abundance... but where he's lacking kills you.

Leading your team to be competitive for a chance at the SEC championship game.
That's been an unrealistic expectations the last 3 years because of our overall roster and you know it. Peyton could not have won games in '17 and '18. I do believe we now have the roster to compete this year and I believe that having an experienced QB will be a positive in that quest to compete for an East title.

I totally agree with all of this. I also believe that Coach Pruitt handled the QB position pretty good last season and because of it BM, Shrout, newcomer blue chip HB alongside an experienced JG make up one of if not the best QB rooms in the SEC. Pruitt is no dummy, if JG struggles early next year there will definitely be some quality replacing him, I believe it'll be HB but that's another argument.
for the cards he was dealt...with JG struggling mightily, Maurer getting his brains beat in, and Shrout out there throwing across his body, and Jennings running wild cat...

yeah. he and chaney managed that pretty well. and i don't see it talked about, but in an 8-5 year where we lost two inexplicable games early, and got blown out against a couple rivals.............i actually think they did a really good coaching job all in all.

hard sell to some, and i get that. but they had to work haaaaaarrrrrd for 8 wins given all that happened.

Just an opinion... but he hits the ones that allow him to process and throw to a receiver who has already separated. He can't anticipate separation or throw effectively to a spot. He struggles to make snap decisions instinctively based on what he's reading.

It isn't that he's bad all of the time but that he has some particular weaknesses that DC's repeatedly use to stifle UT's O. It isn't even necessarily the more talented D's. IU was one of the least talented D's UT faced... and JG struggled. They took away what he does well.... and what he does poorly, he does very poorly.

FWIW, he has a terrific arm in my opinion. I think he throws a beautiful ball and has historically been accurate in terms of throwing to the spot he wants to throw to. He has a lot of things you want in a QB in abundance... but where he's lacking kills you.
yep. agree 100%. is that fixable? dunno. i'm betting we find out....lol.

i do think he got a lot better at the pre snap stuff from 18 to 19.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

There you go again with a woulda coulda shoulda comment. There are several factors that had we done better we would have won the 1st two. You blame it all on JG while any reasonable fan will tell you that more factors than QB played a role in us losing the 1st 2 games. Bad QB play, bad defensive play, terrible offensive gameplan, lack of a running game, drops, turnovers and bad coaching all while playing minus 2 of our best defensive players all played a role in those losses.

Reactions: Bennessee01
There you go again with a woulda coulda shoulda comment. There are several factors that had we done better we would have won the 1st two. You blame it all on JG while any reasonable fan will tell you that more factors than QB played a role in us losing the 1st 2 games. Bad QB play, bad defensive play, terrible offensive gameplan, lack of a running game, drops, turnovers and bad coaching all while playing minus 2 of our best defensive players all played a role in those losses.
there was more to it than just JG. so you're not wrong.

especially in the BYU game given how it ended with the defense on the field.

but JG specifically missed throws in both games that would have led to points. that BYU game shoujld have been a 3 TD blow out.

and i still haven't seen JG complete a swing pass. lol.

i admire your efforts here, and for the most part i think we're on the same page, so don't take this the wrong way.

but if JG was simply a serviceable, SEC quality QB, we blow out both teams, and many of the other things that contributed to both losses don't happen.....or at the very least, get erased by the ability to make some of the plays he missed.

which is why he's just a maddening character in the season that was 2019 Tennesseee football. seemed every week was a redemption story for him. which is good....but also bad.

No one is arguing that he made some winning plays. I think people are alarmed with the lack of development during his first 3 years. His red zone efficiency last season was atrocious. I'm not even going to mention when he decided to go rogue on the goal line vs. Bama and fumbled the ball. Also, I don't care how many coaches he has had. Great players adapt.

Reactions: BeardedVol

VN Store

Back