A Theory about JG

Its funny how when people actually dive into his stats it shows something totally opposite of what everyone seems to think. anyway, I think the one stat no one has been paying attention and the one that's gonna pay the biggest dividends is having the same OC and QB coach 2 years in a row for the first time. This will be the first season JG is not learning a new offense. His seasoning will show and unless the new KID is some kinda beast (I hope he is) JG is firmly in the driver's seat.

The thing is, even when he does get rid of the ball, it is usually too late in the pattern, and the receiver has to fight for it over coverage, or it is underthrown, and the receiver has to pull up, adjust, and fight for the ball. I honestly think I could count on one hand the number of times JG hit a receiver in stride this year in anything over 5 yards downfield.

I'll say again, good kid. I hope it does 'click' for him this year. I just don't see it, and the way he is now, we have a ceiling of around 24 points a game and 9 wins.

JMHO.

FYI, I hate the term 50/50 balls. Seems like that become a favorite catch phrase about the time BJ came to Knoxville.

I thot that originated from basketball. Anything loose and not controlled by one team or another? Who knows, maybe all ball sports have it.

I thot that originated from basketball. Anything loose and not controlled by one team or another? Who knows, maybe all ball sports have it.
Hitting a streaking WR down the sidelines is a thing of beauty. Tossing a ball into the air hoping your guy has a 50/50 chance of out jumping the other guy without twisting an ankle or knee is well, bizarre. Imo

JG is a such a frustrating player to watch as we all know. You see some solid plays followed by a series of knucklehead plays. He continues to make the same mistakes he did when he was freshman. Personally, I don’t think he has the DNA to change. The only reason he’s been a starter Is there’s hasn’t been anyone worth a darn to challenge him. I fully expect that to change this year.

Last edited:
I thought I would take a step back and try and figure out a theory as to why JG can't seem to release a pass on time, why he tends to hold the ball a half-second too long. And I think it might be Pavlovian.

Think about it, the first two seasons he played, he often got NAILED just as he would release the ball. No one denies he took some savage hits in 2017 and 2018. Heck, even those of us who don't want him to start see clearly just how tough the kid is, and that he clearly wants to win.

That said, if he got accustomed to taking a hit once he released, maybe his cerebellum is forcing him to hold the ball to avoid the response it expects, and it takes a 1/4 or 1/2 second for his cerebrum to override this base instinct.

If that is part of the issue, I wonder how in the heck you coach that out of someone?

For that matter, a lot of us question his decision making after the snap. Maybe he goes into survival mode (more than most QBs) because of those hits. So his decisions are less reason and more survival.

Anyway, just a theory. I'm bored. Figured I'd open this up for discussion.

I have a theory..... he just doesn’t have “It.” He has plateaued.

Reactions: Remy and tennvols77
I thought I would take a step back and try and figure out a theory as to why JG can't seem to release a pass on time, why he tends to hold the ball a half-second too long. And I think it might be Pavlovian.

Think about it, the first two seasons he played, he often got NAILED just as he would release the ball. No one denies he took some savage hits in 2017 and 2018. Heck, even those of us who don't want him to start see clearly just how tough the kid is, and that he clearly wants to win.

That said, if he got accustomed to taking a hit once he released, maybe his cerebellum is forcing him to hold the ball to avoid the response it expects, and it takes a 1/4 or 1/2 second for his cerebrum to override this base instinct.

If that is part of the issue, I wonder how in the heck you coach that out of someone?

For that matter, a lot of us question his decision making after the snap. Maybe he goes into survival mode (more than most QBs) because of those hits. So his decisions are less reason and more survival.

giphy.gif

When he started last year, was up to CJP, if he starts next year is up to CJP, we shouldn't be questioning the coach, he knows best about these things.

It's his umdulaabengodda

When he started last year, was up to CJP, if he starts next year is up to CJP, we shouldn't be questioning the coach, he knows best about these things.

Did you have the same opinion of Butch Jones and Derek Dooley?

I have no doubt the first time Bailey throws a pick six that half this board will declare that he sucks and we need to start Holiday. I remember people saying Peyton was a bust after we lost to Miss State and that we should be starting Brandon Stewart. Using that logic Joe Burrows shouldn't have started this year after his 2018 performance. I'm going to trust Pruitt and Chaney to start the qb who gives us the best chance to win.

Did you have the same opinion of Butch Jones and Derek Dooley?
No, and NO, why? They weren't Football coaches, they were con men that preyed on the weak minded-had them convinced-they were great! Some still believe the brick by brick crap put out by Saban's car wash boy, was genius, some even stated "He's what the program needs.....". But happy days are here again-we have a football coach.

I think the fact that he has had 4 QB coaches, 4 OCs, and 2 significantly different offensive systems in 4 years has to have messed with his mind and made him question himself sometimes. I think having a second year with the same QB coach, OC and same system will help settle him down some, and while he probably will not become a great QB, he will be better. He will probably start the first game based on his experience. Whether he remains the starter will depend on how much he has improved and how quickly the younger guys pick things up. GBO.

I'm a fan of JG the person and the player. He has had some terrible play at times but also some great play at times. That being said, I hope we just start Bailey now and get his growing pains out of the way.

Reactions: tennvols77
The thing is, even when he does get rid of the ball, it is usually too late in the pattern, and the receiver has to fight for it over coverage, or it is underthrown, and the receiver has to pull up, adjust, and fight for the ball. I honestly think I could count on one hand the number of times JG hit a receiver in stride this year in anything over 5 yards downfield.

I'll say again, good kid. I hope it does 'click' for him this year. I just don't see it, and the way he is now, we have a ceiling of around 24 points a game and 9 wins.

JMHO.

Here's one of those type throws.

My theory is that the entire Tn team pretty much stunk overall in '17 and '18. The OL was trash, our defense was soft and pretty much the worst in the league, player development was lacking, we had a young receiving core and a terrible locker room atmosphere, all while being led by an erratic young Fr QB in JG. In '17 he was playing for a lame duck coach and in 18 a new unproven coach who at times looked a bit lost. JG nor the team ever had a chance to be good those 2 seasons and nearly every analyst across the country agreed. 2019 was a different story as I feel the Vols finally had a competent roster with enough experience and talent to start winning football games, which is exactly what we did by going 8-5. Pruitt had to clean house after the Fl fiasco and what was left of the team came together and played strong every game the rest of the way and JG played a vital role and made winning plays in every single game where we had a W in the column. He also came back to play the week after putting 7 screws in his hand, kid couldn't even tie his own shoes, played 1 handed the rest of the way and made winning plays while doing so.
Notice there are no woulda, shoulda coulda statements in those words after a successful season. He certainly struggled, and you could see in interviews how badly those struggles played on him. He'll be stronger because of those struggles and I think we should get behind him and all of us should be hoping he has his best year yet which could turn into something special with the talented '20 roster. He knows he didn't play well last year and my guess is he works like crazy to make up for it. Several on here believe he's incapable of success and they've given up on him, I think failure will motivate him and he leads us to another successful season just 3 years removed from being the worst team in the league.

VN Store

Back