A Theory about JG

I didn't say "all". And there's a reason shrout or Maurer was playing to begin with....
I don’t mean to seem combative to your post. I was legitimately asking what holes he dug us out of because people such as Pulaski and K town would claim the same things.

The only thing that is not a Theory about JG are that the haters ONLY focus on what is negative about him... Taken at face value, he has been an up and down quarterback and was upper middle of the pack performer who had some elite games and some real bad ones (IU being his worst IMO). We should all hope for improvement next year because he is going to be our best chance to despite the fact that he doesn't have that Joe Burrow "it" factor. I figure I will post this just to remind the haters of their stat cherry picking, selectively circumstancial indictment of JG.

View attachment 260860
Be specific about who you are calling "haters".

I would call just maybe a couple or three people here "haters". They really just don't like JG. Not sure why.

Once you do that... maybe tell us how you KNOW he's going to overcome his fatal flaws and be the "best option" this fall.

Maurer is no longer a true Fr. He has physical talent. He has good instincts. He needs to learn how to manage a college O and clean up his mistakes.

Shrout may have the best arm in the room. He hasn't developed mentally as fast as you'd hope. But he's now a 3rd year player.

Hill is a former FBS starter with talent. He's a dark horse but he has more than enough raw talent to win the job.

Bailey is green. He needs to adjust to the speed of the college game. But he's a tremendous talent who could start as a Fr.

There is no more starting by default like JG has had in the previous years. There is a TON of talent in the QB room. At least two of them are very aggressive, decisive passers with arm talent.

Be specific about who you are calling "haters".

I would call just maybe a couple or three people here "haters". They really just don't like JG. Not sure why.

Once you do that... maybe tell us how you KNOW he's going to overcome his fatal flaws and be the "best option" this fall.

Maurer is no longer a true Fr. He has physical talent. He has good instincts. He needs to learn how to manage a college O and clean up his mistakes.

Shrout may have the best arm in the room. He hasn't developed mentally as fast as you'd hope. But he's now a 3rd year player.

Hill is a former FBS starter with talent. He's a dark horse but he has more than enough raw talent to win the job.

Bailey is green. He needs to adjust to the speed of the college game. But he's a tremendous talent who could start as a Fr.

There is no more starting by default like JG has had in the previous years. There is a TON of talent in the QB room. At least two of them are very aggressive, decisive passers with arm talent.
All I see in this post is... Competition.

This isn't a matter of "faith". There is no "faith" involved in a player being able or unable to raise their performance. Just like there is no "faith" involved in whether a coach is able to elevate a player any further than their own limitations.

There's literally hundreds of hours of film of JG at this point, and what they show is a middling QB, who doesn't have the mental aptitude to play at the level necessary to be successful in the SEC. Spending additional time and resources attempting to get marginal improvement out of a 5th year QB when you have freshmen and RS freshmen QBs on the roster that have a much higher ceiling would be coaching malpractice just like we saw at the first of the 2019 season.
When the Head Football coach decides who is going to start/play a position (including QB), he has FAITH that player will perform. Not blind faith, but rather a faith based on his knowledge of football, and working with the player on a daily basis. So yes, there is faith involved in. We have faith in CJP's decision making, not just on who starts, but who he recruits, kicks off the team, brings on the team, etc. He [CJP] has us on a roll-I have faith we're going to see a NATY.

This isn't a matter of "faith". There is no "faith" involved in a player being able or unable to raise their performance. Just like there is no "faith" involved in whether a coach is able to elevate a player any further than their own limitations.

There's literally hundreds of hours of film of JG at this point, and what they show is a middling QB, who doesn't have the mental aptitude to play at the level necessary to be successful in the SEC. Spending additional time and resources attempting to get marginal improvement out of a 5th year QB when you have freshmen and RS freshmen QBs on the roster that have a much higher ceiling would be coaching malpractice just like we saw at the first of the 2019 season.
When the Head Football coach decides who is going to start/play a position (including QB), he has FAITH that player will perform. Not blind faith, but rather a faith based on his knowledge of football, and working with the player on a daily basis. So yes, there is faith involved in. We have faith in CJP's decision making, not just on who starts, but who he recruits, kicks off the team, brings on the team, etc. He [CJP] has us on a roll-I have faith we're going to see a NATY.
To me it's about options. There really weren't great options last season.

I think that changes this season. Buckle up. Qb competition will be in full effect.

Please. Pruitt has said time and again, that practice determines who plays. Unfortunately, JG balls out in practice at 50-75% of actual game speed, but can't seem to keep up with the game at 100%

Hopefully Pruitt saw enough this season to realize that "winning practice" is not an indicator that a player can surely perform on Saturdays.

Please. Pruitt has said time and again, that practice determines who plays. Unfortunately, JG balls out in practice at 50-75% of actual game speed, but can't seem to keep up with the game at 100%

Hopefully Pruitt saw enough this season to realize that "winning practice" is not an indicator that a player can surely perform on Saturdays.
What should he use s as an indicator then? Magic 8 ball?

In all seriousness... It should tell you a lot about the competition that we had at qb. That JG was head and shoulders above the other two... Well... That tells me the competition level needs increased.

I think that happens this off season

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
My theory is that no one can come up with a theory to explain whats wrong with him.

Bingo. Maybe he has never been able to anticipate his throws. Waiting until you “see it” will work in high school. It can even work somewhat in college (but not as late as he holds it). It sure as he!! will never work in the NFL.

To OP, maybe he took some of those hits because he held the ball a second+ too long.

Bingo. Maybe he has never been able to anticipate his throws. Waiting until you “see it” will work in high school. It can even work somewhat in college (but not as late as he holds it). It sure as he!! will never work in the NFL.

To OP, maybe he took some of those hits because he held the ball a second+ too long.
Lots of QBs in the NFL hold onto the ball as long as possible. Troy Aikman made a hall of fame career doing it and Ben Roethlisberger has had a great career holding onto the ball as long as possible.

I think we are maybe over thinking it a tad.

JG is a good guy who is doing the best he can. How many of us could do better? It’s a tough job that requires high mental capacity grouped with several other skill sets to be successful. Not saying JG isn’t smart, but smart alone doesn’t make it happen otherwise every software engineer alive would be a good qb as well. The truth, at least in my eyes is that JG is playing just a notch above his overall ability. You put him on a lesser team in a lesser conference and he would shine.

....and yet, there were plays he did make.

our QB situation last season was hard to explain if you weren't paying attention. lol.

i still cant for the life of me see how he can miss some of the throws he would miss, and turn right around (on the next play in some cases) and make an NFL caliber throw, on time, accurate.....left me scratching my head.

It was hard to explain even if you were.

In all seriousness... It should tell you a lot about the competition that we had at qb. That JG was head and shoulders above the other two... Well... That tells me the competition level needs increased.

I think that happens this off season
He sure as hell didn’t look “head and shoulders” above the other two last year. Not remotely.

He sure as hell didn’t look “head and shoulders” above the other two last year. Not remotely.
....in practice.........and JG was better behind center and generally made better decisions than the other two.

none of them were particularly good or consistent......all three had moments of "wow" and "ugh".....

if shrout or maurer had been further along on the mental part of the game, and the coaches could have trusted them to make all the right calls, checks etc......decision making on the sidelines would have probably been made easier.

....in practice.........and JG was better behind center and generally made better decisions than the other two.

none of them were particularly good or consistent......all three had moments of "wow" and "ugh".....

if shrout or maurer had been further along on the mental part of the game, and the coaches could have trusted them to make all the right calls, checks etc......decision making on the sidelines would have probably been made easier.

Practice is at 50% of actual game speed. JG excels when he doesn't have to think quickly, and then on Saturdays when it's time to play at full speed it's a goat rodeo.

Reactions: The Vin Man
Practice is at 50% of actual game speed. JG excels when he doesn't have to think quickly, and then on Saturdays when it's time to play at full speed it's a goat rodeo.
what difference does this make?

lol. just saying things to say them at this point.

what difference does this make?

lol. just saying things to say them at this point.

That "playing well" at half speed in practice is not some be-all-end-all determination for who is going to play well on Saturday.

Your touting his practice warrior status as if it made any difference come Saturday; it did not.

VN Store

Back