'17 NC OL TJ Moore (former USCe commit)

Thomas nor Jones need to be playing OT. This is where our problems lie. Just throwing guys out there isn't an option in the SEC.We had three legit options at OT, with Thomas being an emergency backup due to lack of depth. This is why us landing guys like Smith is vital to our team. We need some better OT depth.

Next year, Ryan Johnson, Tatum, Nathan Niehaus, and with some peanut butter, Devante Brooks will be added to this list.

Next year, Ryan Johnson, Tatum, Nathan Niehaus, and with some peanut butter, Devante Brooks will be added to this list.

I think Johnson can play as long as he puts on the weight. Nathan is raw but also has great size. If we get one of those two guys ready by next year, along with Smith, we would be in a lot better shape at OT. Nathan and Johnson have to be developed though over the offseason.

5-6 OL for 4 years is probably stretch, but we need to have 15-18 OL on roster, and at least 6 should be OT prospects (remember you can always move OT to OG, but harder to move OG to OT). I think you need to go into every season with at least 4 OT you feel comfortable playing.

If you take 18 OL's that only leaves 67 spots for the remaining 19 positions.

If you take 18 OL's that only leaves 67 spots for the remaining 19 positions.

Yea, I know, 18 is probably to many OL. I'd probably go with 15-16. I'd do same for DL. I think 7 OT, 5 OG, and 3 C is a solid breakdown as some of your OT can play OG. I think 7-8 DT and 8 DE on the DL ould be solid as well. You are going to win upfront in the SEC.

Of all things to question this coaching staff for, OL recruiting isn't one of them. They have put a strong emphasis on it and done a great job. We are about to see proof of that over the next few years.

Of all things to question this coaching staff for, OL recruiting isn't one of them. They have put a strong emphasis on it and done a great job. We are about to see proof of that over the next few years.

I disagree. I think questioning the development and recruitment of our OL is completely valid. We constantly change lineups, etc even when injuries aren't an issue. I feel this staff still hasn't found a lineup they like all year outside Hall at RT when he's healthy and Robertson at LG. I think Mahoney's ability to get the most of his players is still a huge question mark. He's also one of the worst recruiters on this staff if not the worst.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I give Butch something of a pass for this years senior class. He came in and from a flat footed start had like 4-6 weeks to put it together. So really current Juniors are his first full class. In a perfect world, those guys are redshirt sophomores this year instead of juniors. But it is what it is. That is just to say I don't think you can fairly judge o-line recruiting and development yet. It is a slow process and the guys that should have been 5th year seniors this year, well, they never showed up because Dooley couldn't be bothered.

I'm not saying we will be great. Just that the story isn't over yet.

I disagree. I think questioning the development and recruitment of our OL is completely valid. We constantly change lineups, etc even when injuries aren't an issue. I feel this staff still hasn't found a lineup they like all year outside Hall at RT when he's healthy and Robertson at LG. I think Mahoney's ability to get the most of his players is still a huge question mark. He's also one of the worst recruiters on this staff if not the worst.
I'm on the fence about the development aspect of it. Recruiting of the position has been more than fine.

I give Butch something of a pass for this years senior class. He came in and from a flat footed start had like 4-6 weeks to put it together. So really current Juniors are his first full class. In a perfect world, those guys are redshirt sophomores this year instead of juniors. But it is what it is. That is just to say I don't think you can fairly judge o-line recruiting and development yet. It is a slow process and the guys that should have been 5th year seniors this year, well, they never showed up because Dooley couldn't be bothered.

I'm not saying we will be great. Just that the story isn't over yet.

Last post on this because I've derailed this thread. Here's why I question Butch and Mahoney's OL evaluations.

2014:

Ray: 3 star bust
Blair: 4 star bust
Robertson: 3 star LG Starter
Thomas: 3 star C/OT Starter but below average RT
Mosley: 4 star OG who's really a DT and has been moved to DT

That's 1 OT recruit that year who plays

2015:

Richmond: 4 star LT Starter (solid job :rock:)
Jones: 4 star RG Starter :rock:
Hall: 3 star RT Starter :rock:
Boulware: 3 star OG Starter/Backup
Stewart: Tragedy with his mom

2 OT recruits

2016:

Tatum: 3 star OT project with SEC offers
Niehaus: 3 star OT/OG project with an average offer list
Brooks: 3 star TE moving to OT
Johnson: 4 star OT with SEC offers

3 OT recruits, 2 of which are 2-3 year projects most likely. I like the upside though.

In all, my point is, and I know it's VERY EARLY, Butch killed the 2015 class. However, he botched the 2014 in terms of OT, and in 2016 he recruited two, 2-3 year project OTs. To put this in perspective, and a lot of this is on Dooley so I'm NOT blaming Butch 100% here, from 2012 (0 OL :cray:)- 2014 we gained 1, ONE, starting OT in Kendrick, and we only recruited two natural OT in Kendrick and Blair. Some of that is 100% on Butch Jones. That is absolutely horrible OT recruiting and development, and it's the reason we can't beat great football teams. Luckily, Butch and Dobbs have masked the problem very well through scheme, which is why so many of you don't see a problem with the OL, but there is cause for concern.

The 2017 class should help this problem, and Butch has done a good job of obtain more OT projects over the last 2 classes including 2017, but Butch really needs Smith to come here and dominate at OT until some of these projects can develop.

Last edited:
We also dropped offensive tackle TJ Moore outside of the Top247 but he stays a four-star. Moore has a chance to be really good on the next level but it will take some time. He's not as ready made or as sure of a thing as his previous ranking suggested.

We also dropped offensive tackle TJ Moore outside of the Top247 but he stays a four-star. Moore has a chance to be really good on the next level but it will take some time. He's not as ready made or as sure of a thing as his previous ranking suggested.

Matches what UT Insiders/coaching staff has said about him so we might just pass on him now.

Committed to Florida.

Sorry about that. Thanks to 247 Sports mistakingly putting up NC State under the commitments page for a short while is why this happened. How in the world did whoever was responsible for entering this information screw up that badly?

Again, I was going by what 247 Sports had posted on the today's commitments page & NC State is what they had listed for a while. Now, they've fixed it. Thanks!

Last edited:
‏@LukeStampini

4-star OL T.J. Moore announces his commitment to the Florida #Gators

It's on 247 Sports. Go under his profile & it says he committed to NC State on 12-25-16. Edit: 247 Sports screwed this up guys. Go to commitments page & it has NC State listed. Go to his individual profile page & it does have UF.

Blame this on 247 Sports & not me. I was checking the commitments for today & I swear it has NC State listed beside his name from the commitments page. Not his individual page.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back