'17 NC OL TJ Moore (former USCe commit)

OL looked good after Hurd left. Then again, we played mostly weak defenses after he quit

I understand that 110%, but when are we gonna stop blaming Dooley? Butch has been here for 4 years! At some point we gotta move on.
You can fix a lot of problems in 4 years but OL is a tall task. Talent and depth there is way better than it was. Not there yet, but much better.

Reactions: 1 person
Why would you ignore him for that. Very valid points IMO. I have to admit I wondered at the time, why burn the kid's redshirt in that situation.

Anybody that knows anything about UTs roster knows that Sanders isn't much more mobile than a granite block. Putting him out there at OT is completely useless. All of us know that. At that point they were out of good options, and any reasonable person concedes that. So this dude is just another negabutch with an agenda. I'm tired of dealing with them so I just ignore them. Ironically I had this particular buttmunch on ignore before and removed him. Now I can't put him back on ignore for some reason.

I understand that 110%, but when are we gonna stop blaming Dooley? Butch has been here for 4 years! At some point we gotta move on.

giphy.gif

I don't think OL is as big as need as some are saying. Looks like we're taking 3 and losing 2 and that keeps overall scholarship numbers in a good place.The early issues we had on OL this year were based more on the early injuries that prevented us from getting any sort of continuity in Fall camp, not overall talent level

I don't necessarily disagree with what you said. I just think it's safer for us to sign 4 OL instead of the 3 we have right now. We really have 4 when you include Nick White who is a Preferred walk-on.

I agree with what Ron posted that Fortenberry said though. Those positions very well are more important it seems but you can never have enough OL or DL it seems nowadays. Thanks!

Anybody that knows anything about UTs roster knows that Sanders isn't much more mobile than a granite block. Putting him out there at OT is completely useless. All of us know that. At that point they were out of good options, and any reasonable person concedes that. So this dude is just another negabutch with an agenda. I'm tired of dealing with them so I just ignore them. Ironically I had this particular buttmunch on ignore before and removed him. Now I can't put him back on ignore for some reason.

You seem like one of those Hillary snowflakes. Go back to your safe space and let the adults talk here. If you wanna be an internet tough guy then go for it. The argument had nothing to do with Sanders, but rather you don't burn a RS and then throw a 270 pound FR against a Bama team that's way better than we are. Didn't matter who we had at RT that day, Bama was better than we were. That's the truth, sorry you can't handle it. Negabutch? You clearly know nothing about my stance on Butch. In the last week I've stated multiple times that our best interest is for Butch to fix the internal issues. So, it seams you are just complaining like a little school girl because someone said something about UT that you didn't like aka Bama is better than us. Again snowflake, go back to your safe space and quit calling people negavols and negabutch even when their post history illustrates the opposite. I'd prove my stance on Butch to you, but I don't want to waste my time on a snowflake that can't handle facts very well.

Reactions: 2 people

Dooley's 2012 failure put Butch WAY behind the 8 ball when it comes to OL. In all honesty, he should have been fired on the spot for that screw up alone. Butch should be finally digging out of the OL hole in 2017.

You seem like one of those Hillary snowflakes. Go back to your safe space and let the adults talk here. If you wanna be an internet tough guy then go for it. The argument had nothing to do with Sanders, but rather you don't burn a RS and then throw a 270 pound FR against a Bama team that's way better than we are. Didn't matter who we had at RT that day, Bama was better than we were. That's the truth, sorry you can't handle it. Negabutch? You clearly know nothing about my stance on Butch. In the last week I've stated multiple times that our best interest is for Butch to fix the internal issues. So, it seams you are just complaining like a little school girl because someone said something about UT that you didn't like aka Bama is better than us. Again snowflake, go back to your safe space and quit calling people negavols and negabutch even when their post history illustrates the opposite. I'd prove my stance on Butch to you, but I don't want to waste my time on a snowflake that can't handle facts very well.

I'm not completely sure, but I think he might think you're a snowflake Ulysees. Now I might have just misread the post, but I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying. Oh, and a little school girl too. You may have struck a nerve.

You can fix a lot of problems in 4 years but OL is a tall task. Talent and depth there is way better than it was. Not there yet, but much better.

Signing ZERO OL in 2012 should have gotten Dooley fired on the spot. It was a monumental disaster.

I'm not completely sure, but I think he might think you're a snowflake Ulysees. Now I might have just misread the post, but I'm pretty sure that's what he's saying. Oh, and a little school girl too. You may have struck a nerve.

I think it is actually Ulysees The Snowflake.
Like Conan The Barbarian...

:)

Sorry Ulysees, it seemed too funny to pass up. (Made me sn ig ger) :hi:

I just don't want to be called a negabutch when I'm far from it. Support this team every Saturday, but that doesn't mean I think Butch is perfect. Be different if I was in every thread saying fire Butch.

I think it is actually Ulysees The Snowflake.
Like Conan The Barbarian...

:)

Sorry Ulysees, it seemed too funny to pass up. (Made me sn ig ger) :hi:

Oh well..I can't even summon the energy tonight, I've had a bad week and I'm just a little edgy :) So I might as well just laugh along.

Agreed but we were asking about this year which is three cycles of OL for Butch because the first year in 13 was trying to salvage what you could in a short time. OL depth were you can RS most so they can just concentrate on lifting is almost there. In fact, this class will be the first one where they will do it except for the rare exception of a Trey Smith who MAY be ready to play but would still be better if he could have a year to just get ready. Last year would've had enough and done it without Tatum playing and that almost happened. Good OL class this cycle is four full years of that under Jones and I believe we will be where it should be and no more under issues created by Dools. Still need a very good DL class because last cycle which is on Butch was very limited and no HS DT's. That was not good. Get that up to par then you can cook in the SEC.

Agreed but we were asking about this year which is three cycles of OL for Butch because the first year in 13 was trying to salvage what you could in a short time. OL depth were you can RS most so they can just concentrate on lifting is almost there. In fact, this class will be the first one where they will do it except for the rare exception of a Trey Smith who MAY be ready to play but would still be better if he could have a year to just get ready. Last year would've had enough and done it without Tatum playing and that almost happened. Good OL class this cycle is four full years of that under Jones and I believe we will be where it should be and no more under issues created by Dools. Still need a very good DL class because last cycle which is on Butch was very limited and no HS DT's. That was not good. Get that up to par then you can cook in the SEC.

I agree. I'm not trying to seam like a Butch hater. I just have huge question marks with Mahoney. I think he's a below average position coach, and I don't think he's the only one on this staff that's below average. Our 2015 OL class was outstanding. Richmond, Hall, Jones, and Boulware is a great class. That's 4 starters, and Jones and Hall (if he can stay healthy) have a lot of potential. Problem is, you followed that up in 2016 with two projects at OL. We needed 3-4 classes where we gained 3-4 starting OL in each. That's where Butch has come up short. I believe we should have recruited 5-6 OL, 2-3 of which should be OT prospects, for at least 4 years under Butch. We were in that bad of shape OL wise when Butch arrived here (as you just mentioned). I also believe that if you recruit big, physical OT prospects you can always move those guys inside if need be. It's a lot harder to move guards outside, thus I think you really have to focus on landing solid OT prospects.

I agree. I'm not trying to seam like a Butch hater. I just have huge question marks with Mahoney. I think he's a below average position coach, and I don't think he's the only one on this staff that's below average. Our 2015 OL class was outstanding. Richmond, Hall, Jones, and Boulware is a great class. That's 4 starters, and Jones and Hall (if he can stay healthy) have a lot of potential. Problem is, you followed that up in 2016 with two projects at OL. We needed 3-4 classes where we gained 3-4 starting OL in each. That's where Butch has come up short. I believe we should have recruited 5-6 OL, 2-3 of which should be OT prospects, for at least 4 years under Butch. We were in that bad of shape OL wise when Butch arrived here (as you just mentioned). I also believe that if you recruit big, physical OT prospects you can always move those guys inside if need be. It's a lot harder to move guards outside, thus I think you really have to focus on landing solid OT prospects.

I agree with a lot of that, but I don't think it's as simple as just being able to take 5-6 spots a year. We had to build depth at just about every position and using 20-25% of a class just on OL would cause issues across the board with other positions. And you have to space it out some so you don't kill your recruiting at that position that creates another gap between the classes. If we had 2 or 3 years in a row taking 5-6 guys recruits would see a crowded depth chart, and chances are a good portion of those OL we did take would end up transferring out, essentially wasting scholarships that would've been put to better use at other positions.

I agree with a lot of that, but I don't think it's as simple as just being able to take 5-6 spots a year. We had to build depth at just about every position and using 20-25% of a class just on OL would cause issues across the board with other positions. And you have to space it out some so you don't kill your recruiting at that position that creates another gap between the classes. If we had 2 or 3 years in a row taking 5-6 guys recruits would see a crowded depth chart, and chances are a good portion of those OL we did take would end up transferring out, essentially wasting scholarships that would've been put to better use at other positions.

5-6 OL for 4 years is probably stretch, but we need to have 15-18 OL on roster, and at least 6 should be OT prospects (remember you can always move OT to OG, but harder to move OG to OT). I think you need to go into every season with at least 4 OT you feel comfortable playing.

5-6 OL for 4 years is probably stretch, but we need to have 15-18 OL on roster, and at least 6 should be OT prospects (remember you can always move OT to OG, but harder to move OG to OT). I think you need to go into every season with at least 4 OT you feel comfortable playing.

Aren't you the poster who spent an entire offseason saying a guy can't play OT unless he's 6'6" or was that someone else?

Aren't you the poster who spent an entire offseason saying a guy can't play OT unless he's 6'6" or was that someone else?

I said that OT that are bigger usually pan out more than 6'4" OT. I also understand that there are exceptions to the rule, but most OT in the NFL are 6'5" or bigger. I'm a huge advocate for recruiting big OT like Hall or Smith vs smaller ones that you hope grow and develop. If you are going to be a small OT and be good, you have to have extremely quick feet and great hands. Most have really long arms too. If you look at the depth charts for the college football teams, most the OT are 6'5" or bigger and weigh 305 or more. 3 of the 4 teams have LTs that are 6'6" or bigger. I don't think that's by chance. Most good/great football teams recruit bigger OT, especially LTs, with Clemson being the exception. However, I think Clemson is in major trouble against Bama's front 7 because of their smaller OL.

Furthermore, the best teams in the NFL like the Pats and Chiefs all play LTs that are 6'6" or bigger. My Raiders are a rare exception as Penn is 6'4", but he also weighs about 340 pounds and has great feet and hands. Smith for the Cowboys is smaller in height as well, but he also is a very big guy weighing 320 or more.

Last edited:
I think we did this year. Kendrick, Hall, Richmond, Thomas, and Jones could probably play there in a pinch.

I think we did this year. Kendrick, Hall, Richmond, Thomas, and Jones could probably play there in a pinch.

Thomas nor Jones need to be playing OT. This is where our problems lie. Just throwing guys out there isn't an option in the SEC.We had three legit options at OT, with Thomas being an emergency backup due to lack of depth. This is why us landing guys like Smith is vital to our team. We need some better OT depth.

VN Store

Back