'17 FL CB C.J. Cotman (UT commit 7/20/16)

“You’re going to see more and more players who want to go to Tennessee because of him,” Clearwater Central Catholic head coach Chris Harvey said of Scott.

“When you have a recruiter that has the background and guys can respect him and relate to him, there’s going to be a lot more CJ Cotman’s headed that way.”

Cotman — who Harvey called “a legit 4.3 guy” — will line up at defensive back for the Volunteers, as the 5-foot-11, 180-pound athlete — who plays tailback, safety and returner for the Marauders — held 32 offers and is ranked no. 49 overall in Florida. He’s set to visit Knoxville for the first time soon, too.

2. He’s solidly committed to Tennessee but continues to hear from three marquee programs: “North Carolina, Florida and Ohio State.”

sec country

Reactions: 3 people
And yet, he was sold before seeing campus. Visiting will only affirm his decision. I'm scratching my head at trying to make a negative here.

Reactions: 2 people
It's not negative. Scott sold the kid on UT. Of course Scott has seen it. My comment was pointing to it will be much easier for Cotman to sell UT to fellow recruits after he's actually seen it.

"caught up with CJ Cotman last night and he said his visit to Tennessee was more than he expected and as of right now he is only planning on taking one official visit and that's to Tennessee. I wouldn't rule others out, but right now he seems pretty committed coming off the visit. He added he really is going to try his hardest to be on campus for both the Florida game and the Alabama game."

- Fortenberry

Reactions: 11 people
"caught up with CJ Cotman last night and he said his visit to Tennessee was more than he expected and as of right now he is only planning on taking one official visit and that's to Tennessee. I wouldn't rule others out, but right now he seems pretty committed coming off the visit. He added he really is going to try his hardest to be on campus for both the Florida game and the Alabama game."

- Fortenberry

Good..good.

Reactions: 1 person
More solid than when he Tweeted his commit.

“It was a great experience. Out of any school I’ve visited that was by far the best one,” Cotman said. “I love it already.

“I love the facilities and the coaches and how much interest they showed in me. It was a good opportunity to go up there with my uncle and it was just a great experience to see everything with my own eyes and see what everyone was talking about.”

“I’m not the type that’s going to decommit or anything. That’s where I want to go,” Cotman said. “I’m going to go up to the Alabama game and the Florida game.

“I’m planning on taking my official visit to Tennessee in January.”
Fort

Reactions: 10 people
Got him! He's a great athlete. Interesting he's going to be a CB. Anybody know how good he is at that position?

I think with his athleticism he will be just fine. Sounds like he could be a weapon in the return game too.

It more than lived up to his expectations.
The three-star senior athlete from Clearwater (Fla.) Central Catholic High School said his trip to Tennessee “was absolutely amazing,” and he “absolutely” came away feeling even better about his commitment to the Vols.
“It was absolutely amazing. It was the best place that I’ve been to,” said Cotman, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 332 overall prospect and No. 37 cornerback in the 2017 class.
“It was way better than what I expected. I (had) looked the facilities up and stuff. But it was just absolutely amazing, what I saw with all the facilities. And the coaches, I like how they were talking and everything. I liked the players. They showed a lot of love.”
If the 5-foot-11, 180-pound Cotman had any second thoughts about picking Tennessee over scholarship offers from more than 30 other schools, including North Carolina, Florida and Ohio State, he said he returned home Monday fully convinced that he wants to play for the Vols.
“Hands down, that’s the place,” he said.
Cotman said he’s already planning to return to Tennessee this fall to attend the Vols’ two most highly anticipated home games of the season.
“I’m going for the Alabama game (Oct. 15) and when they play Florida (on Sept. 24),” he said.
Before the visit, he said he had talked on the phone with Vols coach Butch Jones, first-year tight ends coach Larry Scott and defensive backs coach Willie Martinez. But he enjoyed spending time with all of them while he was on campus.
“I talked to them a lot — Sunday I did,” Cotman said. “Sunday was, like, their (player) check-in day, so I talked to them a lot that day. But Monday they were just getting ready for (preseason) practice and stuff.
“They were like, ‘You come in and you play hard, get a chance to play and come start and everything.’ But they won’t guarantee you no spots. You’ve got to work for it and everything.”
Tennessee’s staff made a strong impression on him.
“It was great,” Cotman said. “They’re interested in me and everything and showing a lot of love, and that’s what I like.”
Cotman said the Vols also made it clear that they have big plans for him.
“They said I’m a versatile person,” said Cotman, who’s being recruited by Tennessee to play cornerback. “I can play in all three phases, and that’s what they like that I bring to the table.”

Reactions: 6 people
If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and watch this guys film. I read that we recruited him as a CB, but he is a playmaker on both sides of the ball and special teams. I think he could fill a Kamara type role as well. He is showing out against elite competition as well.
GODS GIFT - C.J. Cotman highlights - Hudl

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and watch this guys film. I read that we recruited him as a CB, but he is a playmaker on both sides of the ball and special teams. I think he could fill a Kamara type role as well. He is showing out against elite competition as well.
GODS GIFT - C.J. Cotman highlights - Hudl

Definitely a guy who could help in several areas like a Tyler Byrd. Very talented kid.

VN Store

Back