'17 FL CB C.J. Cotman (UT commit 7/20/16)

The 5-foot-11, 180-pound Cotman said he chose the Vols because of “just how much they showed love,” led by first-year tight ends coach Larry Scott, despite the fact that he has yet to make the trip to Tennessee.

“Coach Larry Scott, he never gave up,” said Cotman, who’s ranked the nation’s No. 367 overall prospect and No. 5 all-purpose back in the 247Sports Composite for the 2017 class. “He would stay in touch with me daily. They had one more spot (for a cornerback), and I think I was supposed to fill that spot at DB. I’m going to go off and play DB in college, and that’s what I wanted to play. I see a good opportunity for me to play my first year and just show the world what I’m about. I always liked the school. I always liked Tennessee. I like all the coaches. They just show a lot of interest, and that’s what really made me confident.”

“My dad, he talks highly of the school,” he said. “He always wanted me to go up there, check it out, but we haven’t ever had the time to. A lot of people just like the school and like the environment. … My dad, he knows about their program — their facilities and everything of that nature."

“Everybody always wants to be an offensive person. It’s not that many that want to play that DB position,” said Cotman, who claims to have been timed at “4.41 or 4.42” seconds in the 40-yard dash. “If it’s in God’s will for me to make it all the way, corners, they last a long time in the NFL. I’m just looking into the future.”

“I’m trying to get up there before school starts,” he said. “I just can’t wait to see it in person when I go up there in a couple of weeks. … And I’m going to catch a couple games, too — probably the Florida and the Alabama game.”

“I already made up my mind. I’m planning on sticking with it,” he said. “I don’t like decommitting and stuff like that. I ain’t the type to just keep changing my mind and stuff.”

- 247 (Callahan)

SIAP

Reactions: 5 people
- 247 (Callahan)

SIAP

Sounds like a BOOM!!! to me! One we didn't see coming but a BOOM!!!! irregardless!

giphy.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Man, what a weird class this is. A lot of the names I originally thought were going to be apart of this class so far have not made the jump and we only have 4 spots left!!! I foresee a lot of turnover if we have the season we all expect us to, but still. It's crazy to think the class is almost full before the season has even started.

We still lack that DUDE though, ya know. Our crown jewel of the class. Hope it's Akers, Jones, or Gibbs.

Man, what a weird class this is. A lot of the names I originally thought were going to be apart of this class so far have not made the jump and we only have 4 spots left!!! I foresee a lot of turnover if we have the season we all expect us to, but still. It's crazy to think the class is almost full before the season has even started.

We still lack that DUDE though, ya know. Our crown jewel of the class. Hope it's Akers, Jones, or Gibbs.

Trey smith and Chandler

Reactions: 1 person
I will say it again and again, come signing day we're a top 10 or better class when all is said and done. GO BIG ORANGE and Go get em Butch and company!!!!

Thanks

This is the kind of situation we all need be "understanding" of what this kid does or says down the road. It clearly appears he committed under some "pressure" and if that is the case the kid deserves to keep playing the game IMO

Thanks

This is the kind of situation we all need be "understanding" of what this kid does or says down the road. It clearly appears he committed under some "pressure" and if that is the case the kid deserves to keep playing the game IMO

Pressure as in few spots left maybe. It sure sounds like the staff wasn't pressuring him as it was unexpected and surprised the staff. Or at least that's what VQ hinted at.

Thanks

I think it may have been that things just went a lot better/more quickly for Scott than he expected. Obviously we need to get him up here, though.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back