10 Wins

We have 9 teams on the schedule where we have a legitimate chance to win. However, we have a new staff, a lot of new players, and not a lot of depth in key spots. There’s no way we sweep all 9 of those games. If we do, he’s SEC Coach of the Year, and the rebuild is complete in Year 0.

4 wins is a fail
5 wins is a disappointment
6 wins is a fair expectation
7 wins is a mild surprise
8 wins is a major success
9+ wins is a miracle
Yep you pretty much nailed it.

I’m not predicting 10 wins or anything but last year was an SEC only schedule. We should more games than last year just because we play 3 cupcakes and a mid tier acc team. You can’t really compare it to any other year

I agree totally

However many folks seriously “think” Tennessee is going to win 9 or 10 games.

I guess they certainly “could”………but it’s not probable…….and those aren’t “realistic” expectations.

I was mainly commenting as it seemed you were stating you had seen Tennessee turn around this way before……twice.

I’ve seen them have good teams……play poorly and turn it around the next year…..88-89 is a good example. However that 88 team started off badly and finished with 5 straight wins. They also didn’t have 6 losses by 20 or more points.

Everyone wants to make the “SEC only” schedule excuse……but SEC only or not……it was historically bad for Tennessee.

They will be better……I have no doubt. However we should be realistic……and if their better…….wow that’s awesome.

I am usually pessimistic, but I think we get 10 wins this year. We have an easy schedule...at least compared to what an average SEC West team faces. If we were in the West, then I would predict 7 wins maximum, but I think we get 10 wins this year (including the bowl game).
12-0 until we aren’t!

Reactions: feathersax
I am usually pessimistic, but I think we get 10 wins this year. We have an easy schedule...at least compared to what an average SEC West team faces. If we were in the West, then I would predict 7 wins maximum, but I think we get 10 wins this year (including the bowl game).

When have you seen Tennessee win just 3 games then turn around and win 10 the next year?

Tennessee has never had a +7 win turnaround from the previous year.

the best they have had was from 5-6 in 88 to 11-1 in 89……..but in 87 they were 10-2……not like they had been bad for years.

Not saying it can’t happen……..but we certainly haven’t seen it. In fact we haven’t seen Tennessee win just 3 before.

Pruitt is gone…….that’s a HUGE positive, but some folks have unrealistic expectations.
Oh ok so what you are saying you need visual proof to believe that Tennessee can win 10 games this year? Whatever happen to just believing beyond what your eyes tell you. Am I saying it's going to happen no but it would not surprise because what I have saw before . Yes I understand that circumstances do not add up but they do not determine what happens on the field. The only reason that it seem unreal is because it hasn't happened in 15 years but it is very real unlikely you could say that but not unreal.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I agree totally

However many folks seriously “think” Tennessee is going to win 9 or 10 games.

I guess they certainly “could”………but it’s not probable…….and those aren’t “realistic” expectations.

I was mainly commenting as it seemed you were stating you had seen Tennessee turn around this way before……twice.

I’ve seen them have good teams……play poorly and turn it around the next year…..88-89 is a good example. However that 88 team started off badly and finished with 5 straight wins. They also didn’t have 6 losses by 20 or more points.

Everyone wants to make the “SEC only” schedule excuse……but SEC only or not……it was historically bad for Tennessee.

They will be better……I have no doubt. However we should be realistic……and if their better…….wow that’s awesome.
Seriously, the same people who think we are gonna win 9 or 10 games were convinced Gruden was coming. You realize that we last won 9 regular season games 5 coaches ago? We should be better than people are expecting, but look at what Pruitt did. He lost more games by 20+ points through 3 years than any coach in SEC history. More than Bobby Johnson. More than Joker Phillips. Let’s realize how large this gap is before we chalk up wins vs everyone we have “outrecruited.” That doesn’t matter if players don’t develop or transfer out before their eligibility expires.

Just score some points, be competitive in the 1st half and win the games you are favored in. We have zero depth in too many areas. Our guys will be playing twice as long as their opponents and we have no replacements for injured players.
There is no position where we have "zero depth." None. There are some where we have very little experienced depth, but that is not what you said. And even our less experienced guys in the 2-deep will have a fair bit of game reps after the 3 games prior to the SEC slate.

Reactions: feathersax
Oh ok so what you are saying you need visual proof to believe that Tennessee can win 10 games this year?

What?

Are you seriously kidding me?

YOU were the one who said you had seen it……..TWICE.

I can “just” believe………but don’t lie to me then tell me……”hey your just not trying to believe man.”

If people have unrealistic expectations. Then Tennessee takes actual steps forward…..wins say 6……hey maybe even 7 games “some” fans will say how it was such a disappointment. Thus keeping Vol fan woes rolling…….when in reality…….maybe the “woes” should be relieved somewhat.

Seriously, the same people who think we are gonna win 9 or 10 games were convinced Gruden was coming. You realize that we last won 9 regular season games 5 coaches ago? We should be better than people are expecting, but look at what Pruitt did. He lost more games by 20+ points through 3 years than any coach in SEC history. More than Bobby Johnson. More than Joker Phillips. Let’s realize how large this gap is before we chalk up wins vs everyone we have “outrecruited.” That doesn’t matter if players don’t develop or transfer out before their eligibility expires.

What on earth are you talking about? Seriously

Smoking that good stuff tonight. Bravo. I like the sound of that, though.

If we go 7 and 5, Heupel should be COY in the SEC.

7-5 is really no better than last seasons record. Too many toss out 3-7 or 4.wins. But realistically, last year was all SEC opponents. If we went 3-5 in SEC and roll our (1 decent opponent) OOC schedule, then that makes 7:5. From the weaker East nonetheless. Ultimately 7-5 is about like last season w this logic.

What?

I can “just” believe………but don’t lie to me then tell me……”hey your just not trying to believe man.”

If people have unrealistic expectations. Then Tennessee takes actual steps forward…..wins say 6……hey maybe even 7 games “some” fans will say how it was such a disappointment. Thus keeping Vol fan woes rolling…….when in reality…….maybe the “woes” should be relieved somewhat.
What?

People don't have unrealistic expectation they have the expectations that have been for years the only problem is that the football program hasn't lived up to them in the last 12 years. 6 to 7 wins is never a step forward under any circumstances for Tennessee football just the way it is. I expect what I consider to be success at Tennessee and that is 8+ wins a year.

Welp folks. It's game week and as sure as the sun rises in the east, the off-season Vols have landed squarely on 10-2 just like we expected. Woohoo, we've done it again!

7-5 is really no better than last seasons record. Too many toss out 3-7 or 4.wins. But realistically, last year was all SEC opponents. If we went 3-5 in SEC and roll our (1 decent opponent) OOC schedule, then that makes 7:5. From the weaker East nonetheless. Ultimately 7-5 is about like last season w this logic.

Was our attrition rate last year even comparable to this year? Coaching staff? Recruiting staff? We had a complete house cleaning from the recruiting department all the way down to the coaching staff. We lost more player to the transfer portal than anyone else and it wasn’t close.

This coaching staff hasn’t been completely together all that long. 7-5 this year would be an improvement and a success for Heupel in his first year here.

You must be smoking something strong on a Saturday Night.

Welp folks. It's game week and as sure as the sun rises in the east, the off-season Vols have landed squarely on 10-2 just like we expected. Woohoo, we've done it again!

And just like clockwork, the Nancy’s have come out to play Johnny Raincloud. I guess every fan should just be soon and gloom and have losing expectations. Be excited or optimistic? Nah, not at TN. It’s perpetual darkness or nothing.

Wins- Bowling Green, TN Tech, Missouri, USCe, South Alabama, and Vandy. The rest of the schedule I believe we lose. Thats just my opinion, and I think Pitt is much better then people think. I hope I'm wrong tho.
You honestly think they will beat Missouri at Missouri?

Only win 10 games?

Have you not heard of our Bunyanesque quarterback, our fleet of 300-lb linemen that run like deer, and our post-linebacker 5-6 defensive paradigm?

Barring Covid, or a rematch against Georgia State in the playoffs, I really don't see how we can lose. Anything less than 14-0 is inconceivable.

VN Store

Back