Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our defense lacks basic fundamentals. It's coaching malpractice.

And when I say, "our defense", I mostly mean our secondary. Their tackling is horrible, and their coverage skills are even worse. But we also struggle to get a consistent pass rush.

We looked like ass last night. Big, hairy, unwiped ass. It was ugly.
They were getting held egregiously on every play and no calls..I don't know why people can't understand what a big freaking deal that is.

Of course we also were not running any blitzes...for whatever reason...and thatade no sense.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I would take Odom. I think Heupel had a few issues finding a DC two years ago. Not sure if anyone really wants to be DC here.
I dont think he had issues. From what I remember , it seems like the players wanted a minority for a DC and it took forever for him to find one. I might be wrong on this but that is what I remember. They tried Al Washington and seems like 2 others. per VN before they went back to Banks a 2nd time. I personally do not care what color a coach is as long as they are good at their job and Banks sucked from day 1. Does he even recruit?

They were getting held egregiously on every play and no calls..I don't know why people can't understand what a big freaking deal that is.

Of course we were running any blitzes...for whatever reason.
That's another thing about our staff, why don't we work the refs like other coaches? Beamer was constantly screaming at refs. I think I saw Heup give a few dirty looks and maybe some choice words two or three times, but we don't seem to consistently point out the non-calls like other coaches do.

Our defense lacks basic fundamentals. It's coaching malpractice.

And when I say, "our defense", I mostly mean our secondary. Their tackling is horrible, and their coverage skills are even worse. But we also struggle to get a consistent pass rush.

We looked like ass last night. Big, hairy, unwiped ass. It was ugly.
Our d line, linebackers play the run ok.
No pass rush, backer’s can’t play the pass,
D backs can’t cover or tackle.
Been that way all year.
Don’t know what happened last night,
I know banks was out but come on , he ain’t Lawrence Taylor, it shouldn’t of made that big of difference.

Reactions: Orange Studs
I'll say this... Heupel better have a yes from a top DC before pulling that trigger

They'll backchannel when they're at that point. If CJH is thinking about replacing a coordinator, he'll have some names of guys he'd like to work with. Top coordinators often want to bring guys along, as well. It will be important to keep that fit, since our staff finally meshes well after years of dysfunction with guys who couldn't stand each other.

I dont think he had issues. From what I remember , it seems like the players wanted a minority for a DC and it took forever for him to find one. I might be wrong on this but that is what I remember. They tried Al Washington and seems like 2 others. per VN before they went back to Banks a 2nd time. I personally do not care what color a coach is as long as they are good at their job and Banks sucked from day 1. Does he even recruit?
Banks wasn’t proven at the time. I think he was co-dc at Penn State.

Reactions: tnvols72
I wonder if Tillman sees Hooker going down decides to shut it down for the rest of the year ? It would be a benefit for him and the team.
If Hooker isn’t taking the snaps then it probably won’t be a problem if Tillman plays.
Milton probably doesn’t ignore the rest.

Looking ahead to next year and way too early predictions:

Virginia - W
Peay - W (sorry @peaygolf)
UF - L
UTSA - W
SC - Big MF win and blow out
A&M - W
Bama - L
KY - W
UConn - W
MZ - W
UGA - L
Vandy - W

9-3.

Could also see a win against UF and crazy loss at KY. Just never know and we have been bad on the road. That’s why I’m more disappointed at last night because it was a great chance to make the playoff. The playoff needs to expand. We could easily make the playoff with a 12 team playoff any given year even with playing Bama and UGA every year. Just get to 10-2 and you’re in the playoff with our schedule with twelve teams.
Absolute floor should be 8-4, realistically 10-2, ceiling 11-1.

Sorry if already discussed, but what about Barry Odom at Arkansas? The bloom seems to have fallen off the rose with Pittman, so maybe he looks to make a move?

Was it stated last year, maybe, that Heupel was friends with Odom and that he had told Odom that he’d make Missouri pay for canning Odom?

Possibly something to keep an eye on.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Close, but I'm not sure if FL recovers that quickly. Maybe? I'd say anything from 8-4 to 10-2 is possible. Anything less, I'm disappointed. Anything more, I'm happy.

We are not at reloading level yet.

I’m with you. I’m good between 8-4 and 10-2. We need stability in the worst way and just need to keep stacking top-15 and (hopefully) some top 10 classes and stay in and around the top 25. I will focus on winning sec titles and making the playoffs by year 5. It was awesome we got so close this year, but it’s not the norm (yet).

We all know that this team is a good defense away from being scary
And that is the most frustrating thing about this....it grates on your nerves so bad..

And then you also realize that there is very little talent at waaaay too many positions...and so there will be no quick fixes...it will take a while to to get kids up to speed.

I would take Odom. I think Heupel had a few issues finding a DC two years ago. Not sure if anyone really wants to be DC here.
Wanted to,, Not many did , and not many wanted to be HC at that dumpster fire.

I’m sure it’s a little better looking job than it was 2 years ago

That's another thing about our staff, why don't we work the refs like other coaches? Beamer was constantly screaming at refs. I think I saw Heup give a few dirty looks and maybe some choice words two or three times, but we don't seem to consistently point out the non-calls like other coaches do.

That goes both ways. Heupel has certainly argued calls, but he doesn’t go nuts like Stoops, Sunbelt Billy, Drinkwitz, or Beamer. His players have taken on that personality, too.

There is also the gif of the Purdue non-TD call. Heupel not arguing enough is a non-story.

I’m sure someone has already said this about the Hooker injury, but if an SEC team can’t manage to prepare a playing surface that is safe for the athletes, they should have to forfeit the game. Absolute Busch league, bullsh!t, motherf#%!ing bastards to have that sorry a$$ excuse for a field. I already mentioned I was there and it was very obvious it was bad with the amount of turf flying up when someone planted.

Now, not to speak ill of the fallen, but my seats were in the end zone opposite their video board. So I had a good vantage point to see Hendons passes in relation to the intended receiver, and he was off. So sad for it end that way for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back