Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not against being an 8-10 win program...there are bad years and there are good years. There arw.also still rebuilding years. We aren't to the point of having reloading years yet.

Having said that...I still give the players props for doing the best they can, but this goes beyond talent on the field. In what reasonable universe, alternate or otherwise, do you call defensive plays like that?

I'd be halfway ok if our guys just got flat out beat for a 20...30...40 yd play. What I can't forgive is the 20...30...40 yd play where the db is still giving them a cushion.
Oh I agree 100%. 8-10 win program for years would be amazing. But those losses have to be close and not dumb losses like last night. I’ve never seen such an inept defense and I watched the Sunseri defense. No excuse at all for that horrendous coaching. Banks has to be gone after the bowl or after this last game. He is holding Heupel back.

Looking ahead to next year and way too early predictions:

Virginia - W
Peay - W (sorry @peaygolf)
UF - L
UTSA - W
SC - Big MF win and blow out
A&M - W
Bama - L
KY - W
UConn - W
MZ - W
UGA - L
Vandy - W

9-3.

Could also see a win against UF and crazy loss at KY. Just never know and we have been bad on the road. That’s why I’m more disappointed at last night because it was a great chance to make the playoff. The playoff needs to expand. We could easily make the playoff with a 12 team playoff any given year even with playing Bama and UGA every year. Just get to 10-2 and you’re in the playoff with our schedule with twelve teams.
Keith and or Justin three Names - Milton WC

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
How about you hop off Banks nuts man. If you’re a real fan this should hurt and hurt bad and you should want a change. I know the past 15 yrs have been bad but we should go and expect better and this was on Banks he had a poor game plan and hasn’t been impressive since he’s been here

The defensive roster was bad when he arrived. It’s still bad. That’s not on him. But if you think it is, there’s plenty of threads on that. This thread is about how we fix that roster.

Last edited:
Something I heard Coach Dave McGinnis say on the radio one day kinda struck me because I had never really thought about it. He said that when you make a game plan that you work on all week you can't change it during half time because you really only have about 5-10 minutes to talk with the players as a group and that all the adjustments are made during the game and they are just tweeking what you have worked on doing all week but the basic plan remains the same.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX and ugg
Wow 🥺 I hate crazy rumors 😡 . So this was just some quirky little tidbit ?
No..do you really believe that he didn't play in that game with what was on the line for a "quirky little tidbit"?

We will probably never know the truth...maybe years from now...but I guarantee you it wasn't for just "quirky little tidbit".

Virginia - W
UF - L
UTSA - W
A&M - W
Bama - L
KY - W
UConn - W
MZ - W
UGA - L
Vandy - W

9-3.

Could also see a win against UF and crazy loss at KY. Just never know and we have been bad on the road. That’s why I’m more disappointed at last night because it was a great chance to make the playoff. The playoff needs to expand. We could easily make the playoff with a 12 team playoff any given year even with playing Bama and UGA every year. Just get to 10-2 and you’re in the playoff with our schedule with twelve teams.

Our away game W-L depends on if they end up being road night games

I just have to type this due to all the negative drama in the last 24 hours. Some may consider it cheezy, but zero shiites do I give.

Thank you Hendon! Thanks for the effort, character, and class that you exuded. Thank you for being such a huge part in the real UT being in the hunt for a playoff. The conversations we've gotten to have about our Vols, that noone would have even contemplated being possible in year 2, are in large part due to you. Your legacy will never be forgotten! The ending to your time on Rocky Top is not what any one of us wanted but life just happens and I wish you the best recovery and NFL, and post football, careers humanly possible. The Vols couldn't have asked for a better ambassador for our proud program! GBO!

Or we could take a boat ride.

@InVOLuntary and our defensive staff:
200w.gif

CJH will have to push to have defensive staffers fired. DW met with him in the offseason before raising and extending staff, and they seemed onboard with another year of stability, unless someone wanted to make a move. It's possible CJH has a different opinion now... but it's also possible he'll try to recruit out of it and bring in support staff before wanting a coordinator fired. The Vols were in the playoff picture until 24 hrs ago.
And then South Carolina happened… I think that is enough to change Heupels mind. Ha

Oh I agree 100%. 8-10 win program for years would be amazing. But those losses have to be close and not dumb losses like last night. I’ve never seen such an inept defense and I watched the Sunseri defense. No excuse at all for that horrendous coaching. Banks has to be gone after the bowl or after this last game. He is holding Heupel back.

That's the argument CJH will need to make-- he's holding us back from getting where we all want to go. IDT UT would be fundamentally opposed-- I just think they thought we're good for another year, and now we're not. I also suspect they thought a few guys might leave on their own and save UT from the firing and buyout cycle. And Banks might be glad to go if he had an offer elsewhere.

Something I heard Coach Dave McGinnis say on the radio one day kinda struck me because I had never really thought about it. He said that when you make a game plan that you work on all week you can't change it during half time because you really only have about 5-10 minutes to talk with the players as a group and that all the adjustments are made during the game and they are just tweeking what you have worked on doing all week but the basic plan remains the same.
I get the idea of what hes saying, but I disagree (I know people are gonna be surprised). Its not like switching from a one high to a 2 high is anything crazy. There should be plays for both worked on in the spring and throughout the season. The players should know the basic rules of lining up and of coverage. You may not be able to do anything special or fancy, but certainly should be able to call basic things from any base shell.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
Made recruiting elite guys in the short term that much more difficult. It was said Heup was being negative recruited that we’d come back to earth next season with Hooker gone. Then we crash landed in Columbia

That's the argument CJH will need to make-- he's holding us back from getting where we all want to go. IDT UT would be fundamentally opposed-- I just think they thought we're good for another year, and now we're not. I also suspect they thought a few guys might leave on their own and save UT from the firing and buyout cycle. And Banks might be glad to go if he had an offer elsewhere.
I'll say this... Heupel better have a yes from a top DC before pulling that trigger

I give props where props are due. South Carolina did not beat us...they skull dragged us from one end of the field to the other.

The question is why? We scored 30+ points (sorry, drunk, don't care). They butt f**ked us and then shoved it in our mouth.

It isn't the offense. It isn't even that we don't have some good/great defensive players. We are definitely not there on defense, but there are good players.

What does that say?

Virginia - W
UF - L
UTSA - W
A&M - W
Bama - L
KY - W
UConn - W
MZ - W
UGA - L
Vandy - W

9-3.

I think we beat Fla. and Georgia both, the Tide will be tough at their house. The D will have to improve A LOT but I think that is doable with the new guy's and new GUY. Fla wont be as good because they will lose some players because of "HAIR HELMET" and Georgia may get a good dose of noise as well, so we'll see. I think our Offense will be....we'll our Offense, it seems to work pretty good.

CJH will have to push to have defensive staffers fired. DW met with him in the offseason before raising and extending staff, and they seemed onboard with another year of stability, unless someone wanted to make a move. It's possible CJH has a different opinion now... but it's also possible he'll try to recruit out of it and bring in support staff before wanting a coordinator fired. The Vols were in the playoff picture until 24 hrs ago.
And 24 hours later they’re out of the playoff picture because of Banks defense. You don’t think the worst single game defensive performance in the programs history would make the coach re evaluate a decision made months ago before the season began?

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
I give props where props are due. South Carolina did not beat us...they skull dragged us from one end of the field to the other.

The question is why? We scored 30+ points (sorry, drunk, don't care). They butt f**ked us and then shoved it in our mouth.

It isn't the offense. It isn't even that we don't have some good/great defensive players. We are definitely not there on defense, but there are good players.

What does that say?
Tim Banks has a trash scheme. It's that simple. His core scheme is contradictory. His goal is to force the ball out with pressure yet he has soft zone coverage. Doesn't make sense.

I get the idea of what hes saying, but I disagree (I know people are gonna be surprised). Its not like switching from a one high to a 2 high is anything crazy. There should be plays for both worked on in the spring and throughout the season. The players should know the basic rules of lining up and of coverage. You may not be able to do anything special or fancy, but certainly should be able to call basic things from any base shell.
I think that is what we did yesterday.....just the basics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back