Jaylen McCollough arrested

I think I read on here that he stated he fell 30 feet down the stairs. Not sure who said it but stairwell landings are only 10 to 15 ft different apart. So if he fell 30 feet he must have been hit with a vicious left hook causing some serious spin on his body.

Things like speeds, distances, facts, etc. are never very clear when you're drunk.

I think I read on here that he stated he fell 30 feet down the stairs. Not sure who said it but stairwell landings are only 10 to 15 ft different apart. So if he fell 30 feet he must have been hit with a vicious left hook causing some serious spin on his body.

With a standard 9.5" rise and run and 15' vertical increase that's still only about 20' diagonally. Good observation.

"Home invasion" :rolleyes: OK, drama queen.

If the report is accurate, the Dude accidentally went to the wrong door of what he thought was his friend's place, knocked before entering, and then immediately apologized and left when he realized he made a mistake. Whether McCollough believed it was accidental or intentional is immaterial, it doesn't give him the right to commit assault. McCollough can't claim he was defending himself or his property, he went after him in the hall.

And as for prioritizing an injury to his pinky sustained while sucker-punching a dude in the mouth and leaving him unconscious and bleeding while falling down a flight of stairs....yeah, I think the defense attorney might go a different route on that one.

I don't know any of these people and, probably, neither do the great majority of the posters on this board. None of us were there and our comments on this board range from best guesses to pure speculation. However, with all due respect, this is a pretty aggressive post obviously pointed at and critical of this player and I think it is unreasonable.

First, I understand that reasonable minds can differ on the nature of the drunk guy's initial involvement, but why was there a need to attack the poster you quoted with the "drama queen" label? Disagree, yes. But why disrespect the poster. Calling what happened a "home invasion" may be too strong for you, but if it was your dwelling that some random drunk entered without permission, I bet you'd think it was more than a simple mistake. At minimum, you would call it a trespass. By the way, being drunk is not a legal excuse for a trespass. it is still a trespass.

Next, the premise "If the report is accurate" is a huge and largely unsupported presumption. This "Dude" as you call him, was self-described as being so ripped that he couldn't even find the right building , let alone the right apartment, that he had just left in the middle of the day. If he didn't know where he even was, why would anyone (especially law enforcement) presume his other reporting of what happened to be accurate? It might be, but I really cannot imagine why he would be presumed to be accurate in his recital of "the facts," let alone why he wasn't also the subject of police enforcement for, among a variety of things, public drunkenness or an admitted trespass. This guy literally lit this fire, was obviously and publicly drunk and he admitted a trespass. Yet, he walked away without any apparent police action. Moreover, the officers apparently took his clearly drunken words as their basis for a warrantless arrest of the other person who had just been confronted in his own home by the trespasser. Was the "Dude" really confused? Did he really knock? Did he immediately apologize and leave after opening the door without permission and entering someone's home? Did he even know what planet he was on? All of the alleged victim's articulated defenses to his missteps are dependent on his honesty and trustworthiness and not one of us knows whether he is being honest or reporting accurately. Yet, the player was arrested without a warrant and the "Dude" walked away, albeit without a tooth. From the public reports, the officers decided they had probable cause to arrest without a warrant based on the words of an obviously and admittedly drunken person who may have had some bias because of his personal circumstances The officers may have been correct, but without more information, no one knows for sure. I am of the opinion that the player should not have been arrested without a warrant. If probable cause existed, they could have obtained a warrant, but a judge should have made that decision in my view.

Your description of the player's described conduct as not giving him a right to "commit assault" is technically correct. The problem is, dependent on what really happened, it may not have been an "assault" at all. It sounds like the incident certainly involved a punch, but whether the punch was justified depends entirely on the facts --- almost none of which are personally known by the public and none were personally known to the officers. They were not there and they acted on the words of a drunken person with a potential motive to tell the story from his own point of view. If they had any other evidence of how the alleged punch occurred that supported the drunken statements, they likely would have described it in their report.

The officers appear to have based their decision to arrest the player without a warrant entirely on the utterances of a drunk guy with a head injury who may have just committed at least two offenses of his own. To be sure, his statements could be 100% right and accurate, but none of us, including the officers, know that for a fact. And, at the very least, there is an obvious and overwhelming reason to question his account -- he was so drunk he couldn't even find the same building he had just left moments before and he had possibly committed two chargeable offenses himself. His statements could be spot on, but they could also be confused and/or biased. I don't see how those statements are automatically reliable and can be a reasonable basis for an arrest on the spot without a warrant as opposed to commencing an investigation that might or might not lead to an arrest after a warrant application. It's not like the defendant is an unknown vagrant who is likely to disappear while witnesses, camera recordings, and the like could have been collected.

Finally, you appear to cite as facts "prioritizing an injury to his pinky sustained while sucker-punching a dude in the mouth and leaving him unconscious and bleeding while falling down a flight of stairs." I don't personally know about the pinky, or the "sucker-punching," or the "leaving him unconscious and bleeding while falling down a flight of stairs," and, again with all due respect, neither do you or any of us who were not there to witness what happened. You, too, are basing your "facts" on the words of the alleged victim.

Taking his report as facially valid given the alleged victim's admitted drunken condition and recent improper behavior was simply not reasonable in my opinion. Maybe his descriptions were accurate, maybe they weren't. But taking his word as gospel, without more evidence, turns the presumption of innocence on its head. The officers needed probable cause to arrest without a judicially issued arrest warrant. Probable cause is a tricky standard, but I don't see it here. In my opinion, there should have been a more in depth investigation by the police and the presentation of the findings to a judge before just leveling on the spot charges against McCullough. How does McCullough un-ring the bell of accusation if he is subsequently found to be blameless?

Last edited:

If the report is accurate, the Dude accidentally went to the wrong door of what he thought was his friend's place, knocked before entering, and then immediately apologized and left when he realized he made a mistake. Whether McCollough believed it was accidental or intentional is immaterial, it doesn't give him the right to commit assault. McCollough can't claim he was defending himself or his property, he went after him in the hall.

And as for prioritizing an injury to his pinky sustained while sucker-punching a dude in the mouth and leaving him unconscious and bleeding while falling down a flight of stairs....yeah, I think the defense attorney might go a different route on that one.

It was a home invasion, quite literally. It was McCollough's home, and the fella invaded the privacy of that home without permission or invitation.

Now, neither you nor I nor anyone else here know what happened after the invader walked in uninvited, we only know the version he told the police. We don't know how far he entered, whether he acted aggressive, confused, or apologetic after being confronted, or how quickly he departed. We do know that he told the police at one point he mouthed off to McCollough, "don't be such a dick," but we don't know what was said by either party before or after that. That is a belligerent statement, I think you'll agree. So it wasn't all curtseying and begging forgiveness, apparently.

And Dude didn't just go to the wrong door. he went to the whole wrong building. He had to have been pretty distracted, or high/drunk, or both, to get the whole wrong part of the apartment complex.

BTW, here's what McCollough's building looks like courtesy of Google Street View and the unredacted address in the police blotter report:

1665603651892.png

We've all seen apartment complexes like this: breezeways with concrete landings and stairs for each set of apartments, 4 apartment entries on each landing, stairhead no more than 8' or 10' away from each of those four doors. So the dude saying McCollough pursued him 30' to the stairs is probably off by about 20'. There is some reasonable expectation of relative privacy up on the top landing, where a resident would reasonably only expect one of his three neighbors or their guests to be.

And if the dude fell down stairs after being hit, he only fell about 10 vertical feet, because these apartments typically have 8' or 9' ceilings. So about 10' between stories.

Is this significantly different than you imagined it? Because it seems significantly different than you were describing it.

Couple that with McCollough and perhaps his GF shouting in surprise and shock while this dude is mumbling some sort of perhaps-apology, and you have room for a whole lot of misunderstanding in a very short time period and fairly limited space.

In the world today there are cameras everywhere. If a video of any of this surfaces then we will probably have a determination based off of that.

I've never seen a doorbell camera or security camera in the breezeways of these types of apartments. One could be there, but I wouldn't count on it.

It was a home invasion, quite literally. It was McCollough's home, and the fella invaded the privacy of that home without permission or invitation.

Now, neither you nor I nor anyone else here know what happened after the invader walked in uninvited, we only know the version he told the police. We don't know how far he entered, whether he acted aggressive, confused, or apologetic after being confronted, or how quickly he departed. We do know that he told the police at one point he mouthed off to McCollough, "don't be such a dick," but we don't know what was said by either party before or after that. That is a belligerent statement, I think you'll agree. So it wasn't all curtseying and begging forgiveness, apparently.

And Dude didn't just go to the wrong door. he went to the whole wrong building. He had to have been pretty distracted, or high/drunk, or both, to get the whole wrong part of the apartment complex.

BTW, here's what McCollough's building looks like courtesy of Google Street View and the unredacted address in the police blotter report:

View attachment 499850

We've all seen apartment complexes like this: breezeways with concrete landings and stairs for each set of apartments, 4 apartment entries on each landing, stairhead no more than 8' or 10' away from each of those four doors. So the dude saying McCollough pursued him 30' to the stairs is probably off by about 20'. There is some reasonable expectation of relative privacy up on the top (third) landing, where a resident would reasonably only expect one of his three neighbors or their guests to be.

And if the dude fell down stairs after being hit, he only fell about 10 vertical feet, because these apartments typically have 8' or 9' ceilings. So about 10' between stories.

Is this significantly different than you imagined it? Because it seems significantly different than you were describing it.

Couple that with McCollough and perhaps his GF shouting in surprise and shock while this dude is mumbling some sort of perhaps-apology, and you have room for a whole lot of misunderstanding in a very short time period and fairly limited space.

I've never seen a doorbell camera or security camera in the breezeways of these types of apartments. One could be there, but I wouldn't count on it.
I lived in that exact apartment complex. Same address and everything

That was a pretty professional looking bandage in the police report. Anybody heard where that was done? I once got a small cut between my thump and forefinger and my clinic would not attempt to repair it after it shot blood about 5 feet when they took my own bandage off. Box cutters can be vicious with only an inch long cut.

Did you guys have security cameras installed by the apartment complex management?

Or did they allow you to install your own?
There weren’t any installed by the apartment complex in the staircases when I was living there. Never noticed any self installed, etc. Three story complexes made up of mostly college kids and newly married out of towners. Ton of our players live there

I think he was actually processed later that night? Entirely possible that Heupel didn’t know about it till the AM hours the next day. Wouldn’t have mattered anyways as far as Heupel being looped in sooner. There’s a lot going on for a head coach behind the scenes as well day to day.
I was a scholarship player there many years ago. Lived at Gibbs Hall. Wasnt good enough to contribute so lasted two years. What I do know with certainty is how athletes in trouble are relayed to the coaches. This in all sports. Any incident on campus is looked at by the UT police dept. But KPD has final jurisdiction. The UT police dept immediately notifies the powers that be (to give them a heads up). In this situation there were probably at least 3 KPD cruisers and a couple of UT cruisers. Everyone on Grand Ave would know what was going on (including other athletes living on the block). Kids talk lol. Every one would be outside and of course calling their friends. It happened at 3ish? I do not believe that his teammates would hide this from Coach Heupel. I have no doubt he was probably the first person called by the UT police and also fellow players. Did JM's girlfriend call the police? Isnt she also a UT athlete? I think he's trying to sweep it under the rug and may not even suspend him? A felony is a serious charge and so much worse than a DUI. Thankful no one was seriously hurt. Again I dont know what happened but I know the coaches are the first notified.

It's been charged as felony aggravated assault and I believe the felony charge takes it out of any victim's hands.
I agree and I believe even if the victim changes his mind and none of the witnesses want to cooperate further or testify, an attorney from the DA's Office has to appear before a judge for final approval to dismiss the charges.

Bc having life experience actually show you that you don’t know everything you believe you do and have no idea how you’ll react in a given situation. Don’t worry you’ll get there, champ.

Well, I am past 50, so I have plenty of "life experience".
Your ignorant, condescending response doesn't indicate much for you.
If you had read my post, you would know that I was making room for both sides of this argument.
Fact is, we don't know exactly what happened and I stated that.

You should be tossed from this forum for accusing our coach of lying without the slightest amount of evidence. You don’t have to be a Dick to Coach Heupel!
Are you so blind that you think that the UT police dept wouldn't notify him??? They were also there but KPD has final jurisdiction when it comes to charges. Isn't JM's girlfriend (who talked to the police) also a UT athlete? What about the other athletes who lived on the block? Everyone there would be aware of the situation because of the arrest. You really believe they all hid this from Coach Heupel for 6-7 hrs??? He would be the first one notified by the UT police dept! Thankfully no one was seriously hurt. Heupel and the powers that be probably contacted an atty for him. I also believe he may try to sweep this under the rug (based upon his statement that he wasn't aware of the arrest). Time will tell. I've read people's comments on here screaming because GA's player was only suspended one game for a DUI. A felony assault is so much worse. I don't know what the current status is but anything less than a 2 game suspension looks like a coverup. Maybe some money may change hands and the victim changes his story so it's moved down to a misdemeanor?? I lived in Gibbs Hall though I wasnt good enough to contribute. I know (for a fact) that the coaches are the first notified. Doesnt matter what sport. Believe what you want. You're entitled to that. I have no doubt that every fb player on the team knew within the hr and you think they hid this from their coach????

Idk. He’s practiced so far this week.
That was a question I had earlier but did not know if anyone had the info. Are you sure?

IMHO, if he practiced then they probably have his story and it varies A LOT from the other guy's story. If you don't feel pretty good about it... you don't make him part of your game plan.

VN Store

Back