Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you’re Mullen do you take Nebraska or GA Tech?
Tough call. I’ll assume the entire administration supports Nebraska football. I don’t think that’s the case at GA Tech. Georgia is significantly more fertile recruiting grounds than Nebraska for in state hauls.
The Big 12 isn’t folding yet but may be headed the way of the SWC… ACC is much more stable and has $.
None of this matters though. Whoever shows his wife the best time gets his John Hancock….😂

Reactions: Glocker_Alum_2005
I’ve heard horror stories but am of the opinion that there are jerks in every fanbase and good folks in every fanbase. It’s like anything else — I remember my dad once telling me that “you’ll find a-holes in every walk of life,” and I think that applies here. I’ve dealt with some but also met some really nice people. Met a couple yesterday in fact — Florida fans in their mid-50s sitting right in front of us otherwise in a sea of Vol fans. We struck up a conversation and they were very gracious in defeat.
They're UF fans in their 50's. . . if they're that dumb, they probably don't know how to be mean.

HH is playing in a stat favorable system. It's like Ryan Mallett with petrino. Set all kinds of records, doesn't make him the best arky QB ever.
Hooker makes the plays. Part of it is the system but Hendon makes the plays. Don't belittle his accomplishments by giving him that system tag.

I just don’t think the defense, particularly the secondary, has the guys yet. Not sure it’s an X’s and O’s thing so much as a talent thing. The team as a whole isn’t THERE yet as in elite, but I don’t think anyone can doubt the direction right now. Heupel and co. have impressed mightily.

Agree. X's and O's are significantly affected by the talent you have. That was a huge problem with Cornbread. He seemed to think just because you ran it at Alabubba, with elite talent, that it should work anywhere. That's FAR from reality.

Seemed to me the missed tackles, which there were a lot of, had a lot more to do with lack of athleticism than lack of coaching.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
If the defense was just "solid" yesterday, we would have destroyed that team...and we could have a ligi t title worthy team.

We rolled up a billion yards yesterday without a truly "elite" RB...it is hard for me to imagine what our offense would look like with one of those guys...it would quite literally be unstoppable.

Give JH an elite TE and RB to add with this team...and we could war crime ANY defense in CFB.
Devo's post is in response to me responding to him saying Heath Shuler isn't in the same realm of Hendon Hooker. Thoughts?

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
My Dad and younger brother were followed and cursed and threatened by a bunch of idiot drunks while leaving the Swamp after a game in the early 2010s, one of the idiots threw a piss filled balloon at their car as they were driving away..my frail little old Dad was 69-70 and had just had a triple bypass a couple of years before that and was understandably scared half to death.

I hate them with the passion of a thousand burning suns.
I hear ya!
Pure hate here too:cool:

I don't think anyone can argue that the defense is the Achilles heel of this team. I think if you look at the front 7, there been pretty dang good. Stout against the run for the most part. The pass defense is abysmal. Is it a lack of talent, is it coaching technique? Is it scheme. I think it's a combo of all three. Many say we can't get pressure which hurts the secondary. While I agree with that somewhat, I think the scheme is not DB friendly. Watching coach Heuple's show this morning, he said several times that Florida was in max protection. That means they have at least 6 or 7 in to block. You are not going to consistently get pressure on the QB rushing 3-4 which is what we do 95% of the time. That's double teaming most of our rushers.

I've made it clear, I'm no fan of Tim Banks. I don't think he's imaginative as a coordinator. I think he's as predictable as you can be. He's the anti-heuple.

Most teams on defense when they geta team on their heels, dials something up. We had Florida deep in the end zone and almost got a safety. Very next play (working from memory so I could be wrong on timing) he rushes three and drops 8 into coverage and yet again receivers running wide open and they convert.

This is a pattern from last year. There's zero improvement on the backend. Is it all on players or are the coaches putting these players in a position that they can't succeed in given there abilities?

Before jumping all over me, I'm not calling for him to be fired. He deserves a chance to turn it around. My confidence is waning that he can.

Last edited:
I‘m leaning towards 9-3. LSU, Bama and UGA are really tough. I think UK and USCe will be closer than we’d like - both have QBs with good enough arms to put 350+ yards on this secondary but we can out score them. Should be a fun finish regardless.
South Carolina is awful.

UK and LSU are the two games left that likely determine 10-2 to 8-4.

Winning yesterday sets the floor at 8-4.

But, I'll say this... If we do beat LSU and we're walking in to that Bama game 5-0, top 5-6 ranking...

I'm not saying we win... But.... I'm not saying we won't win either... That would be a fun one to look forward to.

So… anybody got any cruitin’ nugs? Interested to get some feedback from the kids who were at the game.

I was there. It was loud, fun, exciting - great environment from start to finish!
So… anybody got any cruitin’ nugs? Interested to get some feedback from the kids who were at the game.

I was there. It was loud, fun, exciting - great environment from start to finish!
Crystal balls from Callahan and Fong for Vysen Lang.

I firmly believe that the defense is not nearly as bad as we saw yesterday and that AR simply lived up to his hype. It was a do or die game for him, and he felt no pressure. Everyone expected him to be rattled and play poorly, which takes a ton of pressure off in competitive situations, because who cares if you suck? It was expected. There is only upside.

I doubt we see another QB performance against us like that all season.

Really looking forward to Kentucky vs Ole Miss next weekend. I still can't tell if Kentucky is good or not. They faced an absolutely awful version of Florida and have played no one else.
Their OL is on the struggle bus. Young WRs look good, Dane Key is up there in conference stats. I’m not sure what to make of their defense

It’s not slaw, it’s just not good. Certainly doesn’t rest solely in scheme

Run defense has improved this year. We can’t get pressure without blitzing in pass situations. It’s really very simple and comes down to continued recruiting.

This is a major overreaction regarding Banks. Give the guy 2 more recruiting cycles. Players love him and the way they can play aggressively and fast.
I haven't said one word about scheme or Banks. The defense is what it is until we get major infusions of talent, and it may truly be better than it looked yesterday..but yesterday it was freakin SLAW.

That was just a horribly bad performance...period.

After thinking on it all day though...I just hope that you can chalk it up to UFs insane luck when it comes to playing us.

AR has never played that well, and will never play like that again. It makes no sense how that seems to ways happen.

Even Destroyer of Hope (aka JG) pulled a couple of huge games out of his arse. I am hoping that is all this was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back