Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back in the old days when we could help coaches recruit. I have accompany coaches and attend high school games on Friday nights. The coaches would take extensive notes and if they are impressed with the player, request film of games and practices if they existed. Now, they bring the players in for camps and get even a better evaluation of the player's skills. There evaluations are their own and are the bases for their interest or lack there of, in players. I agree their evaluations are very often similar to those of the scouting services, but you will also see that different scouting services have different ratings for the same player.

All true. A great example of an on campus evaluation was Chaz Nimrod last year. He came here at 6 foot 2ish and laser timed a 4.50 in the 40 yard dash. Pretty darn impressive. He was a high 3 star guy, and have great speed and good size. Coaches offered him and now he is a Vol!

Keith was recently promoted to vice president of broadcasting for the Titans. Not sure what the salary disparity would be between an NFL franchise and a major college program. I'm guessing it's close. Also Keith may not want to do basketball as well a la Ward and Kesling.
His current job is way more cush than UT would be. Only way he'd come is if he's just a huge fan, imo

All per CBS article and which service used not defined.

There are a lower percentage of 3 stars each year yes, but look at how many DID compete at a level to get drafted in the first round. Look at the detail to see where they came from. Lots of P5 and G5, the 3 star category needs to be tweeked to accomodate those identifified by the big boys to be players. Of course the detail below shows even bigger misses when they were ranked in the 2k and 3k range or not ranked at all. The three star grouping is just too flawed to take to serious. Lots of the no-brainers in there too....

• 5-stars: 8 USUALLY 25-30 PER YEAR
  • 4-stars: 12 USUALLY 250-300 PER YEAR
  • 3-stars: 9 USUALLY 700+ PER YEAR
  • 2-stars: 1
  • 1-star: 0
  • Unranked: 2
Here is the detail to back it up....

NFL TEAM
PLAYER
SCHOOL STARS RANK (YEAR)
Jacksonville
Travon Walker Georgia 5 22 (2019)
Detroit
Aiden Hutchinson Michigan 4 112 (2018)
Houston
Derek Stingley Jr.LSU 5 3 (2019)
N.Y. Jets
Ahmad Gardner Cincinnati 3 1,672 (2019)
N.Y. Giants
Kayvon Thibodeaux Oregon 5 2 (2019)
Carolina
Ikem Ekwonu NC State 3 612 (2019)
N.Y. Giants
Evan Neal Alabama 5 7 (2019)
Atlanta
Drake London USC 4 247 (2019)
Seattle
Charles Cross Mississippi State 5 27 (2019)
N.Y. Jets
Garrett Wilson Ohio State 5 20 (2019)
New Orleans
Chris Olave Ohio State 3 399 (2018)
Detroit
Jameson Williams Alabama 4 82 (2019)
Philadelphia
Jordan Davis Georgia 3 424 (2018)
Baltimore
Kyle HamiltonNotre Dame 460 (2019)
Houston
Kenyon Green Texas A&M 5 15 (2019)
Washington
Jahan Dotson Penn State 4 192 (2018)
L.A. Chargers
Zion Johnson Boston College n/a n/a (2016)
Tennessee
Treylon Burks Arkansas 4 103 (2019)
New Orleans
Trevor Penning Northern Iowa n/a n/a (2017)
Pittsburgh
Kenny Pickett Pittsburgh 3 738 (2016)
Kansas City
Trent McDuffie Washington 4 126 (2019)
Green Bay
Quay Walker Georgia 4 31 (2018)
Buffalo
Kaiir Elam Florida 4 48 (2019)
Dallas
Tyler Smith Tulsa 3 2,417 (2019)
Baltimore
Tyler Linderbaum Iowa 3 409 (2018)
N.Y. Jets
Jermaine Johnson Florida State 3 2,089 (2017)
Jacksonville
Devin Lloyd Utah 3 1,631 (2017)
Green Bay
Devonte Wyatt Georgia 4 278 (2017)
New England
Cole Strange Chattanooga 2 3,084 (2016)
Kansas City
George Karlaftis Purdue 4 59 (2019)
Cincinnati
Daxton Hill Michigan 5 14 (2019)
Minnesota
Lewis Cine Georgia 4 45 (2019)

I see what you are saying, but a higher percentage of 4 and 5 star players get drafted. Where as 1 out of three 5 stars get drafted, only 1 out of 80 3 stars get drafted (just making up an example). Recruiting ranking are not an exact science, some 3 star guys develop during their college careers, but didn't have the measurables to get a higher rating from recruiting services right out of high school.

One thing is for sure though, you aren't winning titles with a team full of 3 stars. Your talent is too watered down, lacks development or elite measurables, and/or cannot contribute earlier.

Reactions: Devo182
Can’t wait for the season to start.. Vols were preseason ranked only 4 times in the last 13 seasons. Should be ranked to start out this year. Program looking up and hopefully we can break that 10 win mark that’s evaded us since 2007
Embarrassing. Can't wait to put those days behind us.

Btw what do you predict we'll be ranked? I'm guessing 18th-24th. Haven't looked at any other preseason predictions though, just a guess.

Correct. Correlation (recruiting rankings) does not equal causation (Saban finding and signing lots of talent).
Are you saying he (and every other champion in the last 15+ years) hasn't been winning largely because of their raw talent?

Or maybe I'm confused.

His current job is way more cush than UT would be. Only way he'd come is if he's just a huge fan, imo
I think he is a huge fan, but I think his roots are in Nashville now. I am not sure how old his kids are, but I think he is very happy where he is. I would love for him to be the next play by play man, but I think he is pretty happy where he is.

Reactions: jave36
Are you saying he (and every other champion in the last 15+ years) hasn't been winning largely because of their raw talent?

Or maybe I'm confused.
No. I'm saying that talent rather than "stars" has been critical. "Stars" are coincidental or correlate with winning.... but Saban would still sign lots of talent if those recruiting sites did not exist. Signing talent was just as big before the recruiting sites existed.

Reactions: 9876543vol
No. I'm saying that talent rather than "stars" has been critical. "Stars" are coincidental or correlate with winning.... but Saban would still sign lots of talent if those recruiting sites did not exist. Signing talent was just as big before the recruiting sites existed.

Are they not merely the same (to a large degree)? It seems pointless to make a delineation. Stars are closely correlated to actual talent. Thus why the best have proven higher draft rates.

We have no better system. No different than the draft. 1st rounders correlate with more talent, despite busts. You'll take a team of 1st rounders over a team of 7th rounders any day.

This just seems like a pointless argument. Stars reflect talent. Sure Saban would win without the recruiting sites, don't see the point though. It's merely a way for all of us to see who is recruiting the best raw talent with a good degree of fuzziness. Who cares?

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back