Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
To continue on the secondary:
Where do you guys seeing the following players in the 2 deep..
McDonald
Rucker
Slaughter
Will be interesting to see where these guys fit w/ the new additions. I’ve been high on Slaughter but for some reason it’s been hit or miss with his playing time. Rucker too.
For Slaughter it depends on what they're doing with Turnage. Hopefully Turnage is about to compete for a starting role at corner.

Otherwise you have Turnage, Slaughter, Wesley Walker, Andre Turrentine and Christian Charles all potential starters at STAR. Feels like most of our talent is there. Most of them can play safety too.

McDonald is firmly in the 2 deep at safety. I think he'd likely take Flowers spot if Flowers is injured. Also Cheyenne Labruzza apparently looked good in the spring.

Rucker is second string at best I think. He looked like he has a long way to go after that Purdue game.

Yeah have to agree with Planet on those 3. Feel like Rucker has plenty of speed...and that's been about it. In HS it was enough to offset his weaknesses.

McDonald seems to be the most complete of the 3 and could play either Safety role as well as STAR, but definitely think he's the first guy in if Tank or Flowers is out. Slaughter is probably next most likely to see reps at S or STAR of the 3 with Rucker being a guy that'll see most his PT on special teams or in late blowouts imo.

If Turnage and/or Charles emerge more as CBs then that might open things up for Rucker potentially at STAR though.

Kinda like Colton Jumper…who just ran INTO blocks, instead of avoiding them. It was like he thought he was a space eating linemen instead of a LB.

It was like playing with 10 defenders when he played. I could hardly stand it. Well most of the time anyway (I know there are a lot of Jumper apologists on here). :confused::(

Reactions: NighthawkVol
It was like playing with 10 defenders when he played. I could hardly stand it. Well most of the time anyway (I know there are a lot of Jumper apologists on here). :confused::(
Yes there are. He wasn’t good at all, but people kept defending him like he was an all-conference performer. We’ve been so bad for so long, I think some don’t know or have forgotten what good football players look like.

Reactions: MadWorld
We are looking at refreshing some of our design work and need some graphic design help. If you have graphic design experience or know someone that does, please email me will@spyresports.com.

We can compensate with tickets, gear, money, whatever you’re interested in. Just looking for some options moving forward.

thanks for the tags, everyone. Will, email sent.

He’s smoking crack.

He may well be smoking crack.

But he's 100% right the game played today is far more optimal. Similar to how football has advanced in just 25 years. Competition has also increased significantly. Went from 2% international to 25%. The pool of talent they're drawing from is vastly larger and thus, greater competition and talent. Other things, like training and nutrition have also made better athletes as well.

No different than comparing the 90s to the 50s. Whole different ballgame for all the same reasons.

I get what you are saying here, and that is certainly one way of tracking the better 3 stars....and seemingly a good way to do so may I add. Some guys do indeed get missed, but normally most of those 3 stars that you speak of have less of a chance of being an immediate contributor vs a high 4 star or 5 star player, which effects quality depth if you have too many of those.

All per CBS article and which service used not defined.

There are a lower percentage of 3 stars each year yes, but look at how many DID compete at a level to get drafted in the first round. Look at the detail to see where they came from. Lots of P5 and G5, the 3 star category needs to be tweeked to accomodate those identifified by the big boys to be players. Of course the detail below shows even bigger misses when they were ranked in the 2k and 3k range or not ranked at all. The three star grouping is just too flawed to take to serious. Lots of the no-brainers in there too....

• 5-stars: 8 USUALLY 25-30 PER YEAR
  • 4-stars: 12 USUALLY 250-300 PER YEAR
  • 3-stars: 9 USUALLY 700+ PER YEAR
  • 2-stars: 1
  • 1-star: 0
  • Unranked: 2
Here is the detail to back it up....

NFL TEAM
PLAYER SCHOOL STARS RANK (YEAR)

Jacksonville

Travon Walker Georgia 5 22 (2019)

Detroit

Aiden Hutchinson Michigan 4 112 (2018)

Houston

Derek Stingley Jr.LSU 5 3 (2019)

N.Y. Jets

Ahmad Gardner Cincinnati 3 1,672 (2019)

N.Y. Giants

Kayvon Thibodeaux Oregon 5 2 (2019)

Carolina

Ikem Ekwonu NC State 3 612 (2019)

N.Y. Giants

Evan Neal Alabama 5 7 (2019)

Atlanta

Drake London USC 4 247 (2019)

Seattle

Charles Cross Mississippi State 5 27 (2019)

N.Y. Jets

Garrett Wilson Ohio State 5 20 (2019)

New Orleans

Chris Olave Ohio State 3 399 (2018)

Detroit

Jameson Williams Alabama 4 82 (2019)

Philadelphia

Jordan Davis Georgia 3 424 (2018)

Baltimore

Kyle HamiltonNotre Dame 460 (2019)

Houston

Kenyon Green Texas A&M 5 15 (2019)

Washington

Jahan Dotson Penn State 4 192 (2018)

L.A. Chargers

Zion Johnson Boston College n/a n/a (2016)

Tennessee

Treylon Burks Arkansas 4 103 (2019)

New Orleans

Trevor Penning Northern Iowa n/a n/a (2017)

Pittsburgh

Kenny Pickett Pittsburgh 3 738 (2016)

Kansas City

Trent McDuffie Washington 4 126 (2019)

Green Bay

Quay Walker Georgia 4 31 (2018)

Buffalo

Kaiir Elam Florida 4 48 (2019)

Dallas

Tyler Smith Tulsa 3 2,417 (2019)

Baltimore

Tyler Linderbaum Iowa 3 409 (2018)

N.Y. Jets

Jermaine Johnson Florida State 3 2,089 (2017)

Jacksonville

Devin Lloyd Utah 3 1,631 (2017)

Green Bay

Devonte Wyatt Georgia 4 278 (2017)

New England

Cole Strange Chattanooga 2 3,084 (2016)

Kansas City

George Karlaftis Purdue 4 59 (2019)

Cincinnati

Daxton Hill Michigan 5 14 (2019)

Minnesota

Lewis Cine Georgia 4 45 (2019)

But he's 100% right the game played today is far more optimal. Similar to how football has advanced in just 25 years. Competition has also increased significantly. Went from 2% international to 25%. The pool of talent they're drawing from is vastly larger and thus, greater competition and talent. Other things, like training and nutrition have also made better athletes as well.

No different than comparing the 90s to the 50s. Whole different ballgame for all the same reasons.
I agree...different game for different times. Jordan averages 50 in today's game. Only in his era, could he have been held to 30.

I’m not big on these arguments and this is pretty much why. Comparing players from different eras isn’t an apples to apples comparison. The conversations that ensue are typically: person A - you’re stupid, person B - no, you’re stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back