Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe radio voice of the Gators was also voice of the Bucs until he retired this spring after 30+ years. Pay him a ton and let him do both.
Actually the Bucs announcer also does Florida State. Gene Deckerhoff.
there are quite a few NFL announcers that also work for college teams.
However, I do remember once reading that the Titans told Keith he can NOT also do college games.

YEP... this is CLEARLY backed up by looking at the first round data I Provided and finding that Georgia indeed had some 5 star and 4 star talent in the first round AND AND AND a 3 star ALSO in the first round. Ohio State had a 3 star in the first round. They did not avoid taking talent because of the ratings. How many 3 stars have been bumped up after being accepted by the power brokers? I am hoping to cut down on the star gazers discontent that several of our guys get reevaluated and bumped up too. The services do not have the man power to match the evaluation hours that all the D1 programs can put on the job nor access to all the reps at camps. It is easier to take the OBVIOUS creme off the top as 5's and high 4's.... not so easy from there down thus you see lots of the 3's and low 4's drafted with masses of mid 4's still on the board.

It's always fun to see which players confound the ratings system and succeed (or fail) against the odds. But statistically speaking, assuming normal distributions of correct evals (which is not unreasonable) and a large enough sample size, the ratings should predict future football success pretty well. Obviously that doesn't mean they're infallible in the case of one player, or even a dozen players, but over time and numbers (probably less than the 85 roster size) the rating system is a reliable predictor of team success.

It's true that the services depend on team evals in part, because as you say they don't have the manpower to evaluate all of those players. But, they consider evals of all the teams collectively, not just one team. In fact, It's extremely unlikely that one team, including Alabama, or Clemson, Ohio State, etc., could efficiently do an independent evaluation and beat the rankings either. They also don't have the manpower. Those teams investigate who other teams are pursuing, either by word of mouth or by reading 247sports.com. There are too many variables and too many athletes on too many teams to reasonably expect any single entity to consistently beat the consensus ratings system.

In other words, Alabama gets good talent because they pay attention to the recruit rankings, and the recruit rankings are good because the services pay attention to Alabama and other teams from around the country. This holds true unless bias becomes prevalent in the ratings process. If one or more services excessively and repeatedly overrate one team's recruits, to the exclusion of what other teams think, then that service data becomes less useful as a predictor for all teams. I don't think that's very likely by accident, but it may happen in the case of corruption.

Last edited:
I rode that ride (or one just like it) when it was a indoor dark ride at Kings Island many years ago. I can't remember the name of it back then, but it was themed like a Indiana Jones movie....I loved it.

Does anybody else remember it?
No, but. . . probably not as good as "The Blazing Fury"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back