Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Y’all can have fun trying to figure out what the best pitching performance of all time was, but it’s pretty cut and dry.

The best pitching performance of all time was in 2002 World Series when Kenny Powers got the final out with the bases loaded and 2 outs.

“Kenny Powers is a man. Kenny Powers is an athlete. Kenny Powers is a lover. But the most he is, I mean, the thing that Kenny Powers is the most, is a gosh damn champion.” – Kenny Powers

Listening to the radio the other day on the way home from work, they were saying Ruiz says his deals are ironclad legal and he has gone into meticulous detail to make sure of that. Basically daring the NCAA to come after him. Said his contracts do not mention UM, players have no contractual obligation to UM, and if they leave UM they are still under contract and he pays them.

I'd bet most people getting involved in this are going to the same length.

Aren't these really the same thing as endorsement deals like pro players sign? I don't see how the NCAA would have any legal standing here.

I guess you could argue that since he is a very public Miami booster and he isn’t making deals with any non-Miami athletes it’s implied that he is paying players to go to Miami. Legality wise I’m not sure if there is anything there though.

Y’all can have fun trying to figure out what the best pitching performance of all time was, but it’s pretty cut and dry.

The best pitching performance of all time was in 2002 World Series when Kenny Powers got the final out with the bases loaded and 2 outs.

“Kenny Powers is a man. Kenny Powers is an athlete. Kenny Powers is a lover. But the most he is, I mean, the thing that Kenny Powers is the most, is a gosh damn champion.” – Kenny Powers

Best pitching performance of all time was Dock Ellis acid no hitter. ——TrippieRedd prolly

I honestly don’t get the NCAA’s argument they are basically saying that high school recruits do not deserve legal money until they get to college, because alumni/booster run NIL businesses signing these guys out of high school is bad…my question is why is that bad? They are going to get paid in college why should they wait till they get there to sign a contract for their NIL? Lol it makes absolutely no sense other than to limit the schools who made the most of the opportunity in a free market

It's pretty simple. Until they play a down they bring zero NIL value to the table. A legitimate business isn't going to pay an unknown incoming freshman to sell their product because said unknown freshman brings in zero value and has zero influence to peddle - his worth is the equivalent of any other schmuck off the street. And in that context, a lot of the setups that are happening are cases of just being straight up paid to join a team which remains against the rules. They're not being paid for their NIL because their NIL value is non-existent and/or very low. Once a player establishes himself THEN he has a degree of NIL value that is legitimate. Fans know him just like we know actors, musicians, and social media influencers and new media participants as well as other local celebs and there's a value in his brand that can be quantified and sold.

You only have a handful of recruits that have any pre-established NIL value (although I expect this will change as players will start having media consultants help them build their brands in middle school now that NIL dollars are up for grabs early) - Arch Manning being one because he comes from a long line of established QBs and carries the Manning name - the rest are leeching fame and a ton of opportunity to establish their own from a pre-established brand *until* they establish themselves. At that point, their NIL has value.

There are going to be cases where you can find a recruit that has legit NIL value before playing but for the most part they're unknowns who will remain unknown even in their playing days. What NIL is supposed to help players with is cashing in when they do gain notoriety but it's not supposed to be used to buy players and that's what is happening.

So what are the collectives, boosters, and other setups doing to get around this? Hopefully, they're paying based on potential future NIL value but I'd caution every recruit in the land to be very, very careful here because selling your potential future NIL is selling the farm before you have any notion of how high you might go. Guys like Jordan made their fortunes off of NIL and had he'd sold rights to it in college we probably debate MJ vs. Lebron a whole lot less. Hell, Allen Iverson was saved from himself by a Reebok deal structured so that it paid him post-retirement for life because everyone realized AI was in serious trouble with how he was spending but does he even own the rights to his NIL if he comes up in this era where recruits and college players are selling off NIL rights.

Folks don't understand but there are a metric ton of potential problems. I don't think a group like Spyre is out to screw a guy out of his NIL for life but don't think for a moment that some of these collectives aren't set up to do exactly that -- they're searching for the next MJ and hoping to buy the rights before he even becomes aware of how much he's worth.

Eastbound and Down for those not aware. Incredible comedy around the downfall of a professional baseball player.

Today is the 24th anniversary of Kerry Wood's 20 K against the Houston Astros. I think this the most dominate single game pitching performance of all time. He allowed only one hit and did not walk anyone. He was also a rookie and for the big part of the game, the Cubs were clinging to a one run lead. @ me if you want. I am right, though.
Freddy Hill, age 12, pitched a perfect game against Murray Guard in 1981. 7 innings, 19 strikeouts……me 3 times.

Best I ever saw……:p

View attachment 453316

Much as I hated it at the time, Jack Morris pitching a 10 inning, 1-0 shutout to beat the Braves in Game 7 of the 1991 World Series is the best pitched game I've ever seen, given the circumstances and all the pressure surrounding that game.
Greatest pitching performance I ever saw; and, like you, it crushed me.

Folks may or may not be aware that the NYT bought The Athletic around a year ago. About the time Ubben may have stopped selling cigarettes to children and got his promotion from cranking out hit pieces on UT.

They paid $550 million for it. Really. A sucker born every minute. So to stop the financial bleeding in a declining industry and business, they plan to enhance (could not resist) readers' experiences by adding advertisements later this year to the soon to be former no ads experiences. They plan to even bundle it with other subscriptions, presumably the NYT for one.

😂

Posting this to just let folks on here know before they subscribe or renew. Consider it a PSA.

^^True story. The NYT and by extension a metric ton of modern day journalistic practice owes all that it is to a Tennessean.* Adolph Ochs grew up (partly) in Knoxville (he was born in OH but the family moved here around the Civil War) and worked at the Knoxville Chronicle at age 11 as an office boy, went away to college, returned to Knoxville tried other things, went back to work for the Knoxville Chronicle and at 19 borrowed money from family to buy the Chattanooga Times and became one of the founders of the Southern Associated Press. By the time he was 38, the NYT was in serious trouble and a reporter told him that he could buy it at a reduced price if he wanted to which he did. Ochs promoted objective journalism at the Times which was incredibly unusual because during that era newspapers were highly partisan (the whole reason we have so many with democrat or republican right in the name) but objective journalism is what made the NYT stand out from all of the tabloid journalism.

Ochs died in Chattanooga in 1935. So consider that your "The more you know..."

California law allows high schoolers to sign NIL deals. NCAA can't do anything about that. My understanding is his Spyre contract does not mention UT. If they try to sanction us, I expect the university would take it to court, and they would win.

Any athlete being paid NIL money is getting paid by boosters. NCAA cannot selectively target over something like this.
Do you really think UT will take the NCAA to court? If so, what makes you think our administration is ready to do battle with the NCAA? Have I missed something here?

^^True story. The NYT and by extension a metric ton of modern day journalistic practice owes all that it is to a Tennessean.* Adolph Ochs grew up (partly) in Knoxville (he was born in OH but the family moved here around the Civil War) and worked at the Knoxville Chronicle at age 11 as an office boy, went away to college, returned to Knoxville tried other things, went back to work for the Knoxville Chronicle and at 19 borrowed money from family to buy the Chattanooga Times and became one of the founders of the Southern Associated Press. By the time he was 38, the NYT was in serious trouble and a reporter told him that he could buy it at a reduced price if he wanted to which he did. Ochs promoted objective journalism at the Times which was incredibly unusual because during that era newspapers were highly partisan (the whole reason we have so many with democrat or republican right in the name) but objective journalism is what made the NYT stand out from all of the tabloid journalism.

Ochs died in Chattanooga in 1935. So consider that your "The more you know..."

Ochs Highway must be named after him. It leads up to Rock City and Grandview Manor, where yours truly was married.

Ochs Highway must be named after him. It leads up to Rock City and Grandview Manor, where yours truly was married.

No doubt it was and neat! Adolf Ochs had an enormous impact on journalism in the US and internationally. It was radical to report objective news instead of partisan news. We're kind of backsliding on this these days with more and more outlets using partisanship to bolster ratings but hopefully we turn back away from it. Too much partisanship in the news is only feeding our problems with too much partisanship and politics in every aspect of life.

Do you really think UT will take the NCAA to court? If so, what makes you think our administration is ready to do battle with the NCAA? Have I missed something here?
I don’t know about court but I am 100% positive that Danny White won’t back down and will stand up for Tennessee’s interests.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back