Transfer Portal 21-22

Jessie and Emily have been wonderful teammates but surely if they love basketball, they would want to PLAY. I can’t imagine they won’t hit the portal and go somewhere they can contribute on the floor and not just in the locker room

My cousin played division one basketball. Her best friend whom she met in college also got a scholarship to play on that same team. Her friend is 6’2 and hates basketball. Nearly 20 years later and she refuses to watch any basketball. Some ladies may be there for the experience, the free education and the camaraderie. It’s their last year, unless they want a masters, which in that case, more power to them. If you could be a Lady Vol, or a men’s Lady Vol (I just think since they have 8 natties and are the premier college women’s basketball team of history, until the men actually win, they should be called the men’s Lady Vols) and get a free ride, be a LVFL, and be a part of this, over some mid major crap team, would you? Even if you would choose otherwise, I’m sure you can see why they stay.

I'll use another example I think about often: Alexa Middleton.

Middleton was born and raised in Tennessee, and being a Lady Vol was her childhood dream come true. The pride she and her family must have felt for her to be out on the court that bears Pat Summitt's name must have been immense.

Former Lady Vols that had been women she looked up to growing up would drop by campus, and I'm sure that was special. Being a part of a legacy sooooo very strong was really something to her, I'm sure.

Fast-forward three years and she transfers to Iowa State to play one season. Yes, she got to play a lot that season, and I'm sure she enjoyed that.

But what must she be feeling right now? Did the native Tennessean feel as full of pride to be a former Cyclone as she would have just driving a couple hours from home this past weekend to join other LVFLs at TBA who were there to cheer on their sisters? Does Middleton make semi-regular trips to Iowa to hang out with Bill Fennely and other Iowa State alums? Does she really feel fully like she belongs in Iowa instead of Tennessee after one year? Or does she feel like an in-betweener?

Maybe. I don't know. But I cannot imagine wanting to trade being able to be counted as a Lady Vol For Life, with all its perks and pride, for being a Cyclone just for a season of playing 30 mpg instead of 20 mpg.

Bottom line: We should all want for Emily and Jessie to forever be linked, officially and emotionally, to the Lady Vols basketball program they love so much. We should all be happy that those two fine young women will join all the other former Lady Vols at future events, because they have earned that right. I want the BEST for these two, and the best is Tennessee and all the lifelong perks that come with it.

tried to say something similar, but didn’t quite do it as well as this.

Switching gears a bit has anyone else watched the videos of K.Striplin’s dad talking about his trip to Wichita on Twitter? Or S.Puckett’s dad in the interview talking about her big game winning shot and experience as a Vol plus the recruiting decision she made picking Tennessee over Louisville?
There’s no other program right now with better cohesiveness and team chemistry than the Lady Vols in the country! I can tell you there’s for sure a list of names of LVFLers that aren’t transferring anywhere! Boom 💥.
That video with Striplin and her dad, Karoline is says, "Best year of basketball ever." That doesn't sound like a kid that would transfer due to lack of minutes.

Well, hope not, we will see though.

Have a hard time believing it will be any of the freshmen or main rotation players.

Really really hope it’s not BK. She’s the one I’m most worried about with the incident. Doesn’t seem to me like she’s going anywhere but I’ve learned you just never know. Especially these days.
They are all truly close, so it’s hard to imagine anyone leaving. 🤷‍♀️

It's one of the drawbacks to an almost full roster (14). Unless the last 2 or 3 players on the bench are just happy to be on the team, with little regard for playing time, they are likely (but not definite) candidates for the portal. This is true on the vast majority of teams.
I know that Emily had always dreamed of being a Lady Vol. Hard to think she would leave.

I know that Emily had always dreamed of being a Lady Vol. Hard to think she would leave.

To me she is the only one who has shown some negative emotion on and off this season. I could see her going to play for WV for her senior season or something. Would be sad to lose her but I want her to be happy and have an opportunity to show her skill.

But like you, I can’t imagine anyone leaving. They just seem to get along and tournament runs are good for retention.

Megan Gustafson comes to mind. 6-3 post ranked Number 80 in her class finished her career with 2804 points and 1460 rebounds. A 6-3 post can be very effective if they have the tools to work with. Stiplin is young, but has a lot of those tools and the post's on the Lady Vol team have been quoted as saying she is the best on the team at posting up and going right back up with the ball. Development will be everything for her over the summer.
Totally agree! Karo is pretty tenacious. I can see her as the solution.

To me she is the only one who has shown some negative emotion on and off this season. I could see her going to play for WV for her senior season or something. Would be sad to lose her but I want her to be happy and have an opportunity to show her skill.

But like you, I can’t imagine anyone leaving. They just seem to get along and tournament runs are good for retention.

Okay. I didn’t realize she had shown some negative emotion. 🤷‍♀️

Bless. We have a Sweet 16 game against Louisville, we landed Rickea yesterday and y’all are concerned about possible transfers ? Please . Spare me. Let Terry run his mouth. It’s always bound to come up. How about we enjoy where we are and what Kellie is doing. 😅
Complainers are going to complain. I believe with KJH’s subbing patterns there will be happiness on Rocky Top. With the players she have for next year, she will have so many options she can throw on the floor and not miss a beat. We all need to quit worrying about the portal and trying to figure out who is going to be in the portal and who is not. Enjoy the ride and quit tripping.

Bless. We have a Sweet 16 game against Louisville, we landed Rickea yesterday and y’all are concerned about possible transfers ? Please . Spare me. Let Terry run his mouth. It’s always bound to come up. How about we enjoy where we are and what Kellie is doing. 😅

Tomorrow is where I had them,,,at the season's start I am at S16 for any LV team.
I just watched the SC/NC game via DVR,,,close game throughout
I expect the same for ours
Coach Em up !

In my opinion Edwards is very undisciplined. In the Tennessee verses Kentucky game in the SEC Tournament, after being called for a foul, Edwards looked directly at the referee and screamed that's BS. Technical was called. I think we had just scored, then made the two free throws and got the ball out of bounds. I don't recall but it could have been a seven point turn-around. LVFL Elzy took Edwards out of the game. As the camera panned Coach Elzy she looked like she was the victim of a hostage crisis. When you are building a culture based program like Coach Harper, character matters.

Love this video! These glimpses remind us that our players are young college women, not basketball-playing robots. They have emotions, get moody, get hearts broken, get depressed, worry about grades, have family and relationship problems, get homesick, etc...just like any normal kids. They also act goofy, play pranks, make fashion choices they'll regret in ten years, spend too much time on social media, post funny vids on Tik Tok, engage in hobbies, binge watch sappy tv, accept weird challenges, and still have to make time for classes. And they make lifelong friends and spend personal time with young people and community members who need assistance. And they act as role models to young people who look up to them.

Some may just view Lady Vol players as entertainers who are expected to perform and give fans "their money's worth." Others may be able to relate on a more personal level, seeing the players as surrogate family members. Former coaches and players can relate to the sacrifices made and the bonds formed during practices, in locker rooms, traveling to and from games, and during those special moments during competition.

The upshot is that a team is more than its statistical leaders and most lauded members. There are bench players whose value cannot be measured in stats but whose friendship and support keep the team on an even keel.

I support the staff in helping these young women reach their potential both on and off the court. They're being prepared to be contributing members of their communities. If they are unhappy and choose to go elsewhere, they'll still be LVFL to me as long as they gave their best shot while here and met their commitments to the team and staff. If the Lady Vols are their family and they're happy as Lady Vols, they'll have my affection and admiration. Some relatives at the family reunion bring the fancy desserts while others bring the cole slaw and baked beans, but we love them all as family.

I'll use another example I think about often: Alexa Middleton.

Middleton was born and raised in Tennessee, and being a Lady Vol was her childhood dream come true. The pride she and her family must have felt for her to be out on the court that bears Pat Summitt's name must have been immense.

Former Lady Vols that had been women she looked up to growing up would drop by campus, and I'm sure that was special. Being a part of a legacy sooooo very strong was really something to her, I'm sure.

Fast-forward three years and she transfers to Iowa State to play one season. Yes, she got to play a lot that season, and I'm sure she enjoyed that.

But what must she be feeling right now? Did the native Tennessean feel as full of pride to be a former Cyclone as she would have just driving a couple hours from home this past weekend to join other LVFLs at TBA who were there to cheer on their sisters? Does Middleton make semi-regular trips to Iowa to hang out with Bill Fennelly and other Iowa State alums? Does she really feel fully like she belongs in Iowa instead of Tennessee after one year? Or does she feel like an in-betweener?

Maybe. I don't know. But I cannot imagine wanting to trade being able to be counted as a Lady Vol For Life, with all its perks and pride, for being a Cyclone just for a season of playing 30 mpg instead of 20 mpg.

Bottom line: We should all want for Emily and Jessie to forever be linked, officially and emotionally, to the Lady Vols basketball program they love so much. We should all be happy that those two fine young women will join all the other former Lady Vols at future events, because they have earned that right. I want the BEST for these two, and the best is Tennessee and all the lifelong perks that come with it.

Are you kidding? Middleton was a talented player on a dysfunctional team with a bad coach. She not only did the right thing to transfer to Iowa State--where she played very well on a team that was better than UT's---she should have done it at least a year earlier. I should think that she salvaged a decent chunk of her pride and her athletic potential by transferring, and as mentioned, probably wishes she'd done it sooner. Now, if you're not very talented and not very ambitious about fulfilling what athletic potential you do have, then, yea, maybe you stay and play out the string. But that's not the case with most who are on major-college teams. If there is one thing this board has in great abundance, it's sap. Wow.

Well, hope not, we will see though.

Have a hard time believing it will be any of the freshmen or main rotation players.

Really really hope it’s not BK. She’s the one I’m most worried about with the incident. Doesn’t seem to me like she’s going anywhere but I’ve learned you just never know. Especially these days.
march 24 on facebook page : don't be surprised if we land blackwell too. in one of commits in that post terry expect transfers. when asked who terry bl. said not authorized to say. so time will tell but terry say on vols facebook use his real name.

march 24 on facebook page : don't be surprised if we land blackwell too. in one of commits in that post terry expect transfers. when asked who terry bl. said not authorized to say. so time will tell but terry say on vols facebook use his real name.

I don’t think we will go after Blackwell. That just makes me think Terry is talking mess.

Just do not see this staff being interested. After landing Jackson we are stacked at her position.

We will have Horston, Jackson, Puckett, Suarez and potentially Striplin and Pissott who are all nearly interchangeable. If we pickup Blackwell we lose at least one of those veteran players. I would not be willing to trade her for anyone on our current roster.

She apparently did go through a brief period of hurt feelings, but it's my understanding she got over it. It's natural. :)

Is Aijha Blackwell worth going after now that she's in the portal?
You should. She would be one of the best players on the team. I've followed her since high school and at only 6'1", she was one of the best rebounders in the country and a good outside shooter. She is also good at driving to the basket. Getting her certainly would not hurt the team.

VN Store

Back