Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm guessing that they think big money coming from TV contracts covers for the initial fallout. It's a big risk for sure.

I am over that 100+ K seating approach. Have been for a long time. The cost of paying the extortion (donation) and seat cost to sit on a 10" metal bleacher with no leg room, yet having to stand most of the game to see it while extremely loud music blares has caused me to be disinterested as a I age. As they run off old gray hairs like me, who will pay the higher cost seating for 100 K+, especially with an average at best product on the field? I just don't see that ending well. A lot of giveaway tickets in the cheap seats with lessening interest in the high cost seats IMO.

Drop it to 80 K with a better fan experience and more comfortable seating and I am back in. I can wear ear plugs if I need them, because I miss watching POTS, the Vol Walk and the excitement that comes with good football in Neyland. JMO.

Yes, the TV revenue is lessening the reliance on donor support. UT has been alienating donors for a while. It's all about the bottom line. Spreadsheet decision-making and a new revenue model.

I was a Milton fan. I am sorry. I was wrong. He ain’t it.

But to be fully transparent, HB ain’t it and neither is Hooker.

However, the best option and one you have the highest floor is with Hooker.

I was riding HB, but to be fair, I did say he sucked last weekend when he played and owned up to being wrong.

I own up when I'm wrong, but I'm a prick if others don't apologize when I'm right and I get **** on for my opinion

ALSO, to be fair, you didn't have to apologize, because I only meant the ones that lit me up...you, as far as I'm aware did no such thing.

Reactions: SpringBokVol
General thoughts on the game:

I was overall impressed by how we handled the game. The score didn't reflect the game at all, at least for the first 3 quarters or so. Then disaster struck when Coop, then Small (or Evans don't remember), then Hooker all got simultaneously banged up. Hooker played a solid game, minus the unimaginable overthrow, especially considering how little time he had and how much pressure he was under from their elite DL.

Yes, overall they were a bit better - about 1 YPP better. But not that big of a margin considering Y4 Mullen #11 in the country...only lost to #1 by 2 points and in the Swamp...VS...Y1 unranked no depth not at Neyland.

THAT SAID the game was largely decided by 3rd downs. Just can't win many games when your defense can't get itself off the field. Offensively, 38% conversion is ok. Just below the national average. But allowing 9 of 14 (64%) is just atrocious. Just make that 5 or 6 of 14 and they punt it a few more times, would have made all the difference.

Clean up this area and penalties and things are looking bright.

Screenshot_20210926-105801_ESPN.jpg

They're banking a lot on the TV money to hold them over until they can build a new base imo.

They are. And they're counting on people rushing to buy these good seats that long-time season tix holders are giving up.

As @InVOLuntary pointed out, it's harder to find a new customer than replace an existing one. But they're banking on higher revenue-- not filling every seat. Capacity and attendance may go down, but they want the bottom line to go up. Turnover vs. loyalty isn't a variable they're prioritizing.

They are. And they're counting on people rushing to buy these good seats that long-time season tix holders are giving up.

As @InVOLuntary pointed out, it's harder to find a new customer than replace an existing one. But they're banking on higher revenue-- not filling every seat. Capacity and attendance may go down, but they want the bottom line to go up. Turnover vs. loyalty isn't a variable they're prioritizing.
Good luck to them with that one. They're going to piss off the old folks who could include UTK in their estate planning in hopes that they can sell high priced seats at a time when we're staring down the double barrels of inflation and a major stock market correction. Whatever.

Reactions: Vols4us
Mullen is winning with them. Might as well try.

I look at transfers like this: 3* guys that have already been thru a college program, know the routine and the expectations that come with it. I'd trust them over a 3* out of HS that hasn't been in a college program yet.

Put Milton sucking aside for a second. If we didn't know his stats, would you take him or a 3* that hasn't been in college yet?
It depends on who I have, what I need etc... My preference would be take the high school kid so I can make him what I want, but if I needed help ASAP then I would try the transfer. The thing is, TN isn't in a position to win and won't be for a few years, in the position we are in give me the high school kid.

Reactions: Kingston Vol
Danny White didn’t have anything to do with that….. he is one of the most respected AD’s in the country…… he is fixing what needs to be fixed….. Let the man work.
Danny white is one person. Please let me know how many other administrators changed since Pruitt was fired? AD and who else? Are most of the others who made that idiotic move still there? The answer is yes. And just to let you know, Danny White isn’t some savior. I think he is a good AD but I know some VFLs that he pissed off and rubbed the wrong way. He’s still trying to make up for it.

Heupel has plenty of red flags. It’s another 20 point loss. Maybe we can be encouraged about guys running open but at the end of the day we put up 14 points.

He has to recruit the talent to replace the roster and there is not indications that he can do that. Transfer portal is an option but it’s unlikely we’re gonna get studs there.

Defense is bad. Very bad. Our LBs are vying for worst in the SEC and our pass rush is non existent. Emory Jones of all people just toyed around and did whatever he wanted.

Reactions: VolNash17
I think the data they're putting into those spreadsheets may be flawed. They were creative when the basketball ticket wasn't sought after and it was pretty dang successful. I figured something similar might work for football but they decided to throw caution to the wind and try and hit the larger donors more. I don't disagree with the overall plan but I'm questioning the timing. Youbraise prices when demand is high. Demand is anything but high.

I would be more about getting butts in all the seats.

They could have phased it in. UT is positioning this as a "fan experience" improvement. And that does need improving. I'm all for making attendance more affordable for families and providing a better experience for more fans. But this doesn't really do that.

Losing fatigue has caused attrition. I think they're banking on long-time donors grumbling, then caving and paying whatever they ask. And if they don't, they think they can upsell lower-level donors with better seats and transition the donor base with younger fans. IDK how well it will work. But I know some really good seats will be available for those who want to pony up.

Should be fun watching Tayven Start next year.

Hell maybe we can pull a QB from OSU or some other top school to come in. Keep trying
In what scenario do we have to suddenly start a true freshman next season? Pretty sure Hooker will be around and he's playing really well, especially considering just how little help he's getting.

Reactions: UTJoe
No QB -> road to 5-6 wins -> tough to recruit
Stud QB -> road to 8-9 wins -> easy to recruit

Simple as that really. When TN wins 8-9 TN recruits top 10. When we recruit top 10 we have much better chances to win games like last night.

Get one of those Ohio State QBs in the off-season. They are all better than what we currently have and they can’t all play at State. Our defensive staff has been a real bright spot. Nobody expected the offensive struggles, but this is what you get with poor QB play. Find a QB and we will look like Ole Miss overnight.

Danny white is one person. Please let me know how many other administrators changed since Pruitt was fired? AD and who else? Are most of the others who made that idiotic move still there? The answer is yes. And just to let you know, Danny White isn’t some savior. I think he is a good AD but I know some VFLs that he pissed off and rubbed the wrong way. He’s still trying to make up for it.
DW is taking a huge gamble and it will fail if we don’t win. UT doesn’t care about the fan base. They just want to make money and as much as possible.

People are going to do that. Besides the fact that the team is bad, people aren't as willing to just let go with money like what the seats are going to cost, epically younger people. As someone who goes to a game a year or every couple, I'm curious as to what single game ticket pricing will be, compared to other schools TN is already a little high, and I honestly expect DW to raise the prices of those as well.

“I mean, coming into the game, I mean, that was a different-looking team than I saw last year, to be honest with you,” Mullen said during his postgame press conference. “How they played, the intensity, the toughness, the physicalness they played with, you know, I give them some credit. I think they’re a much-improved football team.”

~Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back