Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooker can Chuck the ball far enough to open deep routes. He proves that last night.
What hooker is lacking imo, is to change the game when he is pushed out of pocket. He runs very well on designed qb runs, but seems too indecisive when he has to make something out of nothing.

This, they're going to push those guys out, and there isn't new blood to bring in.

Spreadsheet decision-making. It's all about revenue. If you're going to spreadsheet a decision, you'd better do it when the timing is right or you have a high probability of upgrading what you lose.

A lot of these long-time donors support UT in other areas, like facilities improvements, endowments and academics. Many were multi-sport donors that supported UT teams when they weren't good-- and did so for generations.

I really like what Tom Banks is doing with what he’s got right now.
that game was stacked against us with no consistent drives in our part and a string Florida rush, which was my biggest concern, but I can see him doing really well when things are clocking

Agree - Banks is a keeper. Keep the D staff together for a few years if possible and if they can recruit well. Want to see what they can do with the players they recruit

There will inevitably be coaching changes in college football this season. There always are. Hoping that we can get every quality OL we can from the portal first and foremost then hopefully DBs and LBs.
USC already
Maybe LSU
Maybe Nebraska

Depending on where they get their replacements from, then you have 3 other good teams in transition as well

71 scholarship players, rebuild of epic proportions , unreal expectations, and his offense works. Players we have are not executing. Penalties, overthrows, and drops. Give us half of each of those back we are 3-1 and just lost a close one to Florida in their house.
And where's the hope that he's going to get these players coming from? He's never recruited at a high level. Recruiting sucks right now, probably will for a couple years, the admin has invited the law into our house so to speak, and told on themselves, and Heupel doesn't have any relationships with a lot of these top guys. There's just nothing for me to hang my hat on that says hey, they're going to figure it out

And where's the hope that he's going to get these players coming from? He's never recruited at a high level. Recruiting sucks right now, probably will for a couple years, the admin has invited the law into our house so to speak, and told on themselves, and Heupel doesn't have any relationships with a lot of these top guys. There's just nothing for me to hang my hat on that says hey, they're going to figure it out

Agreed

Reactions: VolNash17
Spreadsheet decision-making. It's all about revenue. If you're going to spreadsheet a decision, you'd better do it when the timing is right or you have a high probability of upgrading what you lose.

A lot of these long-time donors support UT in other areas, like facilities improvements, endowments and academics. Many were multi-sport donors that supported UT teams when they weren't good-- and did so for generations.
They're banking a lot on the TV money to hold them over until they can build a new base imo.

Huepel is going to have to take the Mullen transfer portal route if he wants to be successful here. Gotta get those guys and win 7-8 games a year before we try to recruit with the big boys.

Some of you are finally realizing and (correctly) pointing out that Heupel isn't an upper tier coach.

Now get to the part where our program is buried and this is the best for us for at least 5 years.

Reactions: VolNash17
Here’s an update on the new model I was was testing out for my weekly picks in Freak’s contest which I posted Friday night. It went 8 for 10 in the contest and of course the extra pick blew up. Still all in all an improvement. Week 1, I went 7/10 and then the following two weeks I was 5/10 each week. I needed to make a change.

Previously, I had used a very complex model involving all sorts of metrics including talent, staff continuity, and performance in the various phases of the game relative to strength of schedule. I looked at every other model published, ESPN, Sagarin, etc. I read message boards and watched coaches media sessions. I looked at injury reports and read local media for the respective teams.

I invested a lot because I’m determined to stay ahead of Catbone in the contest. I was so smart and well informed and it was getting me nowhere. I wasn’t pulling away. I figured I’d try to simply my approach and trust in good luck. It worked. We had 2 overtime games yesterday and I won both. So let’s keep it simple and trust to good luck for now. When that quits working, innovate. Freaking Wisconsin and K-State. I hate those guys. jmo.

I do think I can improve my model a bit. I need to make one small tweak that I’m not going to tell the Cat about. Looking forward to next week and I fully expect Freak with have the Tennessee-Missouri game in the lineup. I don’t mind disclosing that I’m planning on taking Tennessee regardless of what my new model says. It’s not a matter of discipline. It’s a matter of faith. I guess I'm still pretty smart after all. jmo.

ScreenHunter 763.png

They are going to lose long-time donors who have remained loyal to UT through good times and bad-- a lot of bad. Hoping to churn the donor base in their favor is one thing-- pushing all their chips in on it is a big risk.

I'm guessing that they think big money coming from TV contracts covers for the initial fallout. It's a big risk for sure.

I am over that 100+ K seating approach. Have been for a long time. The cost of paying the extortion (donation) and seat cost to sit on a 10" metal bleacher with no leg room, yet having to stand most of the game to see it while extremely loud music blares has caused me to be disinterested as a I age. As they run off old gray hairs like me, who will pay the higher cost seating for 100 K+, especially with an average at best product on the field? I just don't see that ending well. A lot of giveaway tickets in the cheap seats with lessening interest in the high cost seats IMO.

Drop it to 80 K with a better fan experience and more comfortable seating and I am back in. I can wear ear plugs if I need them, because I miss watching POTS, the Vol Walk and the excitement that comes with good football in Neyland. JMO.

Eh, not a fan of transfers. There's a reason they're in the portal. Juco's are a better option imo.

Mullen is winning with them. Might as well try.

I look at transfers like this: 3* guys that have already been thru a college program, know the routine and the expectations that come with it. I'd trust them over a 3* out of HS that hasn't been in a college program yet.

Put Milton sucking aside for a second. If we didn't know his stats, would you take him or a 3* that hasn't been in college yet?

Last edited:

I think the data they're putting into those spreadsheets may be flawed. They were creative when the basketball ticket wasn't sought after and it was pretty dang successful. I figured something similar might work for football but they decided to throw caution to the wind and try and hit the larger donors more. I don't disagree with the overall plan but I'm questioning the timing. You raise prices when demand is high. Demand is anything but high.

I would be more about getting butts in all the seats.

Last edited:
Talking about in the future.

Right now, means nothing to me. Sorry to say but it is what it is. Come back in a few years and ask me how I feel.

9 months of work doesn’t make up for the last 15 years. Again, it sucks to say that because it isn’t his fault, but he took the job and yes so far he has done a great job, but I’m not gonna sing his praises this soon.
Nobody should be singing his praises besides what he has accomplished with Tony and the students….. I feel better about the university now than I have in years…. I feel they are starting to move in the same direction.

Go look at the penalty statistics from Heupel’s time at UCF. It’s a pattern.
But the penalties were mostly related to the fast pace offense. Things like false starts, illegal procedures, holding, etc NOT targeting, late hits, unsportsmanlike conduct, etc. if we could stop that stupid crap, we could overcome the stuff that’s related to going fast.

I don’t care what happens in practice with Bailey. And he wasn’t behind Maurer. That’s completely false.

Maurer was #4. The coaches told him that, which escalated his frustration and expedited his departure. Coaches wanted Milton #1 because of his upside, with Hooker and Bailey as backups. Hooker's skillset is more desirable to this staff and considered more favorable for this offense.

Bailey's a high character kid who's continuing to work hard and keep his mouth shut. He's not going to play much this year, and the situation is going to resolve itself. But to say he's terrible or always the least accurate in practice just isn't true. None of them are consistent in practice-- and haven't been.

Maurer was #4. The coaches told him that, which escalated his frustration and expedited his departure. Coaches wanted Milton #1 because of his upside, with Hooker and Bailey as backups. Hooker's skillset is more desirable to this staff and considered more favorable for this offense.

Bailey's a high character kid who's continuing to work hard and keep his mouth shut. He's not going to play much this year, and the situation is going to resolve itself. But to say he's terrible or always the least accurate in practice just isn't true. None of them are consistent in practice-- and haven't been.

LOLOLOLOLOL at everyone saying Milton's skillset was better for this offense. I'm deceased.

They are going to lose long-time donors who have remained loyal to UT through good times and bad-- a lot of bad. Hoping to churn the donor base in their favor is one thing-- pushing all their chips in on it is a big risk.
I’m glad you’re saying this because everyone assumes I am being too pessimistic when I bring it up.

There’s a mutiny brewing behind the scenes. Danny has total control right now because Donde, and to a lesser extent Randy, are totally behind him.

If football doesn’t start winning, or one of the names above is gone and can’t be used as protection, things will turn and turn quickly.

You can’t make changes like he’s implementing and not have success coupled with it.

Yo Milton fans, I’m still waiting on my apology. I’ll keep posting this all day till y’all respond.
I was a Milton fan. I am sorry. I was wrong. He ain’t it.

But to be fully transparent, HB ain’t it and neither is Hooker.

However, the best option and one you have the highest floor is with Hooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back