Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every time I close my eyes I see Milton overthrowing a wide open, completely uncovered, WR.

Can't believe we don't have one guy in the QB room who is that dude.
Our QB room is two guys that failed at other places and one guy that neither staff seened to like a whole lot in the beginning…. Hopefully, JH can get them productive.

What do you really expect to learn from an extremely overmatched (hopefully) Tennessee Tech this weekend? I guess we will see if a QB can actually complete a long pass, but what else will this weekend show us?

Reactions: Vols4us
What do you really expect to learn over an extremely overmatched (hopefully) Tennessee Tech this weekend? I guess we will see if a QB can actually complete a long pass, but what else will this weekend show us?
We are going to learn a lot.

1) How does this team react to a loss?
2) Does Byron Young live up to the hype?

I agree with you. However, Hooker's turnovers were more egregious. Milton's fumble came on unblocked A gap pressure and he got hurt. Hooker was running around with the ball away from his body in the pocket. And the interception which was less than ideal. But they both need to take better care of the ball no doubt.
Hooker was running a designed play to his left and the defense had an overload coming from the same side. By the time Hooker turned his body around he saw the pressure and panicked, tried to get rid of the ball but it was too late.

We ran that same play later in the game with the exact same result minus the turnover. The point is Pitt scouted that play and were ready for it twice. It was a bad play call on both occasions.

The interception was the exact same play that Milton overthrew and missed a chance to convert a third down. The difference was Pitt was sitting back in coverage on that play and intercepted it.

When Milton misses he misses very badly, no one can catch it. I think running with Milton is a mistake. The defense is going to give you man and force Milton to make a throw he converts at a rate of 50%. That's a 3 and out recipe for failure.

If we do run with Milton I'll go ahead and free weekends up for the rest of the season, he's a proven unsuccessful commodity and Heupel appears to believe he can fix it.

Last edited:
Said it Saturday but maybe Milton needs to “choke the chicken” as a pregame ritual, just to get loose and ease up on that arm a little during the game.
View attachment 394388

giphy.gif

What do you really expect to learn from an extremely overmatched (hopefully) Tennessee Tech this weekend? I guess we will see if a QB can actually complete a long pass, but what else will this weekend show us?
If the Byron Young hype was real.

I think Milton is a classic example of a trap for a coach's ego. He has every measurable that you'd want in a QB. He's got a cannon. He's strong and fast. He's tall. I think coaches see guys like Joe and think "If only I could coach him, I can unlock his potential". Pep Hamilton and Harbaugh couldn't do it, but his next coach's ego is saying "you can be the one who fixes him."

My take on the two games I've seen of Milton is that he doesn't have an innate feel or awareness of the game. He has no touch on the ball, and he doesn't seem to understand the game well enough to sense pressure. He's also telegraphing almost every read as he goes through progressions.

Hooker definitely has his own flaws, but are his flaws actually fixable by further development. I'm not sure any coaching staff could teach Milton to scramble like Hooker. Hooker has a flow to his running where he can be shifty. Milton is hesitant and stiff as a runner.

We'll see how Heupel moves forward with this QB shuffle. Hopefully, he won't get caught up in his ego and force Milton, if Milton can't show a better feel for the game in the next few games.

Hour #2 of the Ainge show somebody called in and called Ainge out for his terrible off season QB takes.
I'll be honest I never to listen to Ainge as I get 104.5 out of Nashville. But after listening to him on the way back after the game Saturday I'm not missing much. I couldn't disagree more with many of his takes. I can deal with Fleming but Ainge is crap IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrippieRedd
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back