Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooker was running a designed play to his left and the defense had an overload coming from the same side. By the time Hooker turned his body around he saw the pressure and panicked, tried to get rid of the ball but it was too late.

We ran that same play later in the game with the exact same result minus the turnover. The point is Pitt scouted that play and were ready for it twice. It was a bad play call on both occasions.

The interception was the exact same play that Milton overthrew and missed a chance to convert a third down. The difference was Pitt was sitting back in coverage on that play and intercepted it.

When Milton misses he misses very badly, no one can catch it. I think running with Milton is a mistake. The defense is going to give you man and force Milton to make a throw he converts at a rate of 50%. That's a 3 and out recipe for failure.

If we do run with Milton I'll go ahead and free weekends up for the rest of the season, he's a proven unsuccessful commodity and Heupel appears to believe he can fix it.

If you are referring to the Hooker fumble go watch again. Play call was fine. Hooker didn’t trust the read or missed it one but Callaway was wide open and the ball should have been thrown prior to his break and it would have been fine instead he waited and the Pitt guy was in his face.

I think for certain players that could be an unfortunate side effect. The fact of the matter is that the % of kids whose window to make money in college is far greater than those who will reach the NFL. I could see it becoming a distraction for kids who's goal of playing in the NFL starts to evaporate the closer they get to the end of their college career and making as much money as possible become a real priority before the spotlight is gone.

On the flip side, I think about a guy like Bryce Thompson, if his situation were repeated five years from now, he doesn't have to chance the NFL, he could've stayed and played another season, made as much NIL money as he could, all while trying to improve his draft status.

I wish the deals were performance based. They could already be, I guess.

Why y’all getting worked up over a depth chart? Coaches rarely change anything on those after week 1 unless it’s injury related or obvious change. Milton being listed as starter doesn’t mean anything either way. He could very well be the starter but it wouldn’t suprise me to see Hooker out there play one either.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Hendon Hooker career stats, including Tennessee:

Passing: 213/334 att - 63.8% - 3,087yds - 24 tds - 8 ints - 160.3 rtg
Rushing: 256 atts - 1,082 yds - 15 tds

At VT he was essentially 8-7, with a majority of those losses coming last season. He started 6-0 at VT when he came on the third game of the season. I'm not sure how many of the games in 2020 he started or was subbed in for. Burmeister played significant snaps in 5 games last season that Hooker also got snaps in. Several were losses.

Hooker failed at Virginia Tech? I think that's some revisionist history. He was successful, then got injured and the backup played well. After a few games when Hooker was healthy Fuente stuck with the backup or would pull him quickly.
I went and looked it up bc I had heard he struggled and was inconsistent….. his state were not too bad….. the reason for his leaving was worse than just struggling….. he had a mental breakdown against clemsons….. He had two dropped snaps for fumbles…. After the first one…. They put the back up QB in and he performed well….. he got injured and Hooker went back in when he fumbled again which was returned for a touchdown…. He wouldn’t re-enter the game bc he was cold. LOL

If you are referring to the Hooker fumble go watch again. Play call was fine. Hooker didn’t trust the read or missed it one but Callaway was wide open and the ball should have been thrown prior to his break and it would have been fine instead he waited and the Pitt guy was in his face.
I'm working from memory from the game, I'll watch the game from DVR.

Hooker failed at Virginia Tech? I think that's some revisionist history. He was successful, then got injured and the backup played well. After a few games when Hooker was healthy Fuente stuck with the backup or would pull him quickly.
I went and looked it up bc I had heard he struggled and was inconsistent….. his state were not too bad….. the reason for his leaving was worse than just struggling….. he had a mental breakdown against clemsons….. He had two dropped snaps for fumbles…. After the first one…. They put the back up QB in and he performed well….. he got injured and Hooker went back in when he fumbled again which was returned for a touchdown…. He wouldn’t re-enter the game bc he was cold. LOL

Yikes

Reactions: VolByLaw

This is not true either. Burmeister won the job last year over Hooker for game one in 2020. He won their first two games and at some point in game 3, he got injured and was ineffective. Hooker played after that, and VTech went 2-7 the next 9 games. They lost 47-14 to that same Pitt team we just played. Hooker got injured early against Clemson in a loss, and Burmeister started the last game against UVA in a win.

Not sure where you got that information, but Burmeister was their clear starter this year and beat UNC. He can pass and run as well. That is why Hooker transferred.

I am not suggesting you did here, but this board likes to twist information to support their opinions on players and coaches.

Yo, any words from your sources on the injured players we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back