Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think there is a Super Coach for Tennessee.

If we get back, it be because an unknown Dabo Swinney type coach just steadily builds it back up.

There are no quick fixes
The only way to a quick fix is lights out recruiting, and unfortunately, we've never been able to competently outcheat the competition.

IMHO Hooker reminded me of 2014-early 2015 Dobbs.
That's essentially what he is, with a little more lateral quickness. But he's also pretty much at his ceiling. 14-15 Dobbs is still better than the alternatives imo.

He's a veteran QB who has started over a dozen P5 games and won a lot of them. He has the ability to make tight throws (that throw to Warren for the TD was perfect) but will make mistakes (fumble and the INT).

He has one year here. Let him be the stable backfield presence, have an aggressive run game, and rely on YAC for big plays in the passing game. Win the ones we are supposed to and squeak out 1 or 2 extras for bowl eligibility. That's respectable and about as good an outcome as possible.

Why are people hung up on a running QB? Isnt Heup offense suppose to be about slinging the ball all over the field ? HB had no spring and very little fall practice under his belt and he still did better than any QB we had last year.
And he got better..he actually improved as he went. He must really suck in practice.

Reactions: tnvols72
That’s not true…. We hired one of the biggest staffs in college football with lane kiffin…. He bailed on us so late that we were stuck with an interim or Dooley…. The next time…. We had one of the hottest commodities in college football Charlie strong hired…. He bailed on us for Texas and we got Butch Jones….. After Jones….. we had the absolute meltdown of a coaching search which led to every coach around the country turning us down…. It led to Pruitt…. This year we tried to get Franklin or other big name coaches…. They turned us down so we got Heup ….. we couldn’t even hire away the Oklahoma state coach….. we have to make coaches and recruits want to come to our university…. Making it a positive environment helps.
Lane Kiffin completely screwing us like that is the domino that started this descent into the seven circles of hell...and some still lust after him 🤦‍♂️

I just want to hit him in the face with a paper bag of runny 💩 everytime I see his stupid face.

The worst part about work on Monday in Georgia are all the little trolling questions I'll get about Tennessee. "Tough loss this weekend, huh?" Yeah, tough loss, Gary, kinda like when you lost your house and custody of your son in the divorce. Get the hell out of my office.
Lmao Gary

1631533637390.gif

If we get back, it be because an unknown Dabo Swinney type coach just steadily builds it back up.

There are no quick fixes

I keep thinking we need to take a chance on a former Vol that gets into coaching

*Cough cough* Jerod Mayo *Cough cough*

Edit: Matter of fact, there's a pretty good coach at Alabama that coached under Bill Belichick for a little while.

Reactions: RiotVol
dont mean to knock that kid, but, seems to drop am awful lot of passes
It's obviously gotten in his head now..he hasn't had that problem. I hope he doesn't get worse.

There was a second baseman one time, I can't remember his name..but the guy developed a mental block about throwing to first base and couldn’t complete the easiest throws, it was one of the craziest things like that I have ever seen.

Hard to say who we would have gotten had the admin been open-minded and really have opened up the checkbook. But more than anything, their utter incompetence and dedication to the House of Haslam is what really did us in. Dooley never made sense and was a panic hire. Butch made some sense at the time but just failed miserably. And Pruitt.....Well we all remember what a cluster**** that process was.

We mishandled the original firing of Fulmer, fell in love with a shyster, panic hired an idiot, flopped on a toad, then totally fubared everything with a Bammer. Our admin has been poop ever since Doug Dickey retired. Hopefully DW eventually rights the ship.

Quotable quotes...should be a sticky

Reactions: hooter vol
This is simply not true. If you think those were the only names and then we went bargain bin shopping, then you are completely wrong. We could have had Patterson or Cut after Kiffin left. Admin made terrible hires and saying fans had anything to do with that is asinine.

Exactly. The deal with Cut was done and they refused to let him bring some of his staff, insisted he retain a few of the existing. They wanted to tie his hands behind his back and do it their way, probably because of their contracts. Cut made the right choice to stay at Duke and finish his career where he was appreciated.

Patterson would have crawled over broken glass to get here back then, but they turned their noses up at him. Wasn't their type of guy personally.

They made a bunch of panic hires for a decade. Heup was not one, he was the one in the pocket of the new AD who would get the job if the bigger fish could not be reeled in. Heup knew the conditions of the search up front and folks should see that he does have upside as a HC. If they don't, they are choosing to not see it. He's a current day version of Cut. May not become elite, but can deliver winning seasons. Will see how it goes.

So any talk of bargain bin shopping is just talk. That's how badly the program has been trashed that no proven, top HC was going to come here. The university will lose a lot of supporters in the process if Heup is not a quick study and takes awhile to get there, but the new TV deal should help with that. Hopefully, he is a quick study starting with the QB issue. I'm confident Banks will resolve the D issues as they develop and add real SEC players on that side. He does some really good things with his scheme. We lack quality players in some spots there.

There are no quick fixes

This. The option of hiring the Super Coach has not been on the table since the hiring of Kiffin.

Exactly. The deal with Cut was done and they refused to let him bring some of his staff, insisted he retain a few of the existing. They wanted to tie his hands behind his back and do it their way, probably because of their contracts. Cut made the right choice to stay at Duke and finish his career where he was appreciated.

Patterson would have crawled over broken glass to get here back then, but they turned their noses up at him. Wasn't their type of guy personally.

They made a bunch of panic hires for a decade. Heup was not one, he was the one in the pocket of the new AD who would get the job if the bigger fish could not be reeled in. Heup knew the conditions of the search up front and folks should see that he does have upside as a HC. If they don't, they are choosing to not see it. He's a current day version of Cut. May not become elite, but can deliver winning seasons. Will see how it goes.

So any talk of bargain bin shopping is just talk. That's how badly the program has been trashed that no proven, top HC was going to come here. The university will lose a lot of supporters in the process if Heup is not a quick study and takes awhile to get there, but the new TV deal should help with that. Hopefully, he is a quick study starting with the QB issue. I'm confident Banks will resolve the D issues as they develop and add real SEC players on that side. He does some really good things with his scheme. We lack quality players in some spots there.
Heupel was kind of a panic hire. That doesn't mean he won't turn out to be a good hire. Heupel was the guy DW knew he could get when at least a couple of others turned him down.

Hard to say who we would have gotten had the admin been open-minded and really have opened up the checkbook. But more than anything, their utter incompetence and dedication to the House of Haslam is what really did us in. Dooley never made sense and was a panic hire. Butch made some sense at the time but just failed miserably. And Pruitt.....Well we all remember what a cluster**** that process was.

We mishandled the original firing of Fulmer, fell in love with a shyster, panic hired an idiot, flopped on a toad, then totally fubared everything with a Bammer. Our admin has been poop ever since Doug Dickey retired. Hopefully DW eventually rights the ship.
You may be a fast schist, but, I agree with this.

Hitching wagons to the cut rate Haslams, is not working out. Get em out.

Reactions: hooter vol
Did y'all see the Knox News Sentinel today? How out of touch are those morons? 'Will QB change come after loss to Pitt?'

It already happened dumbasses. Did you even watch the game? Or do you just like to stir the **** pot (FYI DID NOT CLICK ON sharticle).

The worst part about work on Monday in Georgia are all the little trolling questions I'll get about Tennessee. "Tough loss this weekend, huh?" Yeah, tough loss, Gary, kinda like when you lost your house and custody of your son in the divorce. Get the hell out of my office.
Yeah, **** you Gary.

It's obviously gotten in his head now..he hasn't had that problem. I hope he doesn't get worse.

There was a second baseman one time, I can't remember his name..but the guy developed a mental block about throwing to first base and couldn’t complete the easiest throws, it was one of the craziest things like that I have ever seen.
Chuck Knoblauch and that was hard to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back