We are in trouble

I think I'm in the minority, but I never thought Gray was special. He had some success and had nice speed. He was super easy to tackle and missed many running lanes from what my TV eyes showed me.
He improved and actually had some decent inside runs last year. Where he excels though is in the open field. Some of the runs Small and Evans had on Saturday that went for 15 or 20 yards would have been TD's for Gray. He's faster, quicker, and has very good vision.

I would like to have him and Jahmir Johnson back right now. The only other guys I feel very strongly about is D Johnson who really had no option. UT could use another proven edge rusher. I don't mind losing Henry T honestly. I'm not sure he is that "great" and am pretty sure he wasn't good for culture. Apparently he, Gray, Morris, and one other transfer were recruited by Niedemeyer... who was at the center of the recruiting violations. IOW's, there's a good chance they had to go.

Reactions: b_gann
Yeah I don't think Small is great, but I like how hard he runs. But Evans will be a star here. Not sure what more he could have done. Wasn't slow had good vision and a little bit of wiggle for a big guy.
I don't know. Probably need to see more. He just didn't look like he had an extra gear once he got to the 2nd level. Not ragging on either guy. I think with Small you get consistency for whatever you may miss in big plays. He's going to usually see and hit the right hole then finish physical.

Wish UT had a Hurd or Kamara right now in this O.

Ok, I am going to counter-argue the OP.

1. Milton had 4 weeks to practice and learn the WR speeds, the plays, etc. There could be vast improvements game-by-game

2. Bowling Green played a strategy of eating clock and not necessarily to win. In the second half, Tennessee also started the process of eating clock as well. Look at the number of run plays vs. pass plays called.

3. It is week 1 with new coaching staff, we are dealing with limited practices due to COVID-19, and we have a lot of transfer/new players

Give this team some time. We were not projected to compete for the SEC anyways. Heupel inherited a major mess and has been able to put together a somewhat competitive team despite all of the issues.

The one major positive that I took from Thursday was the lack of major mistakes that constantly plagued Jones and Pruitt teams, even against weak opponents. Outside of the fumble and a couple of holding calls, our offense did not shoot itself in the foot like I remember past Tennessee teams.

I skimmed when I should have read I thought the 2019 score was reversed. Oops
No problem. I've done the same.

To your point though... I kind of like that Heupel has had that much success vs Narduzzi. It may not be "the" factor but much better than the other way round.

Reactions: BigALWiLson
I don't know. Probably need to see more. He just didn't look like he had an extra gear once he got to the 2nd level. Not ragging on either guy. I think with Small you get consistency for whatever you may miss in big plays. He's going to usually see and hit the right hole then finish physical.

Wish UT had a Hurd or Kamara right now in this O.
We have one In Milton, although Hurd was a little faster lol

Ok, I am going to counter-argue the OP.

1. Milton had 4 weeks to practice and learn the WR speeds, the plays, etc. There could be vast improvements game-by-game

2. Bowling Green played a strategy of eating clock and not necessarily to win. In the second half, Tennessee also started the process of eating clock as well. Look at the number of run plays vs. pass plays called.

3. It is week 1 with new coaching staff, we are dealing with limited practices due to COVID-19, and we have a lot of transfer/new players

Give this team some time. We were not projected to compete for the SEC anyways. Heupel inherited a major mess and has been able to put together a somewhat competitive team despite all of the issues.

The one major positive that I took from Thursday was the lack of major mistakes that constantly plagued Jones and Pruitt teams, even against weak opponents. Outside of the fumble and a couple of holding calls, our offense did not shoot itself in the foot like I remember past Tennessee teams.
Agree for the most part but Milton and the WR's apparently didn't do things well that they appeared to have down in practice. Heupel has hinted at that more than once. One of the players hinted at it with a "I know they can do it" type of comment. Maybe A Taylor?

Bowling Green went 8 man zone and either Milton, the receivers, or both just couldn't figure it out. A zone can be played well even if a team doesn't match up athletically... but that doesn't explain Milton going so ice cold. There are ALWAYS holes in zones and with his ability to stretch the field vertically... those holes should have been massive.

Agree for the most part but Milton and the WR's apparently didn't do things well that they appeared to have down in practice. Heupel has hinted at that more than once. One of the players hinted at it with a "I know they can do it" type of comment. Maybe A Taylor?

Bowling Green went 8 man zone and either Milton, the receivers, or both just couldn't figure it out. A zone can be played well even if a team doesn't match up athletically... but that doesn't explain Milton going so ice cold. There are ALWAYS holes in zones and with his ability to stretch the field vertically... those holes should have been massive.

Great post. The thing is Heupel and company adjusted for it at half and pushed a power run game. Bowling Green kept that zone despite the conversion to a run game. Bowling Green had an offense that just focused on holding onto the ball more than scoring as well. It was an odd game but Heupel's switch to a run heavy offense made a lot of sense to put BG away.

I will be surprised (and much more concerned) if we don't see a lot of improvement for game #2. There is usually a lot of growth in teams between the first two games. A win over Pitt will be great, but a loss will not send me into the tank, IF the team plays competently and just gets beat.

This rehab will take a lot of time, especially following the player race for the exit that UT experienced after Pruitt departed. If you keep the departed players, the hoped for turn around could be much faster. This year is about survival and recruiting, I think.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
OP is entitled to his opinion, respectfully. QB take was not wrong, I thought running backs were good though 7-8ish on scale to 10, WR play was sloppy maybe a 6-but how much of that is QB inefficiency (not all of it, there were some drops)? , we can get WR's play cleaned up and it may not have a big effect on our passing game. O line did as good as could be expected and dominated BG. Defense is average SEC Defense at best but not horrible-IMO we go as far as our QB takes us, excellent
QB Play we get 7-8 game wins, substandard QB play we win maybe 5. I saw nothing out of Milton's QB play that was outstanding, average at best, and that will not cut it in the SEC.

He improved and actually had some decent inside runs last year. Where he excels though is in the open field. Some of the runs Small and Evans had on Saturday that went for 15 or 20 yards would have been TD's for Gray. He's faster, quicker, and has very good vision.

I would like to have him and Jahmir Johnson back right now. The only other guys I feel very strongly about is D Johnson who really had no option. UT could use another proven edge rusher. I don't mind losing Henry T honestly. I'm not sure he is that "great" and am pretty sure he wasn't good for culture. Apparently he, Gray, Morris, and one other transfer were recruited by Niedemeyer... who was at the center of the recruiting violations. IOW's, there's a good chance they had to go.
I loved Jamir Johnson and wish he was here. Him at RT and Cade back at RG would be an upgrade IMO. Fair point on Gray. He's homerun potential is greater than current two. Just thought he was very easily tackled and left yards on the field. I think you're right on the last point and culture. Seems like daddy is more of the problem w/ Henry T than Henry himself but who knows.

Reactions: OllVol and sjt18
I'm afraid we are at the point where "cute" is a good entertainment option. We simply can't recruit with Bama et al anymore, so the one thing we need to have going for us is entertainment, a la Lane Kiffin/Mike Leach-style.

Great post. The thing is Heupel and company adjusted for it at half and pushed a power run game. Bowling Green kept that zone despite the conversion to a run game. Bowling Green had an offense that just focused on holding onto the ball more than scoring as well. It was an odd game but Heupel's switch to a run heavy offense made a lot of sense to put BG away.
It did. But Milton still didn't hit open receivers. Apparently some of the receivers also didn't work the gaps in the zone very well.

WR's are supposed to read coverage too. In zone, you go find a gap and "sit down" in it. Hopefully the QB found it too and has thrown the ball before the coverage can collapse on you. Almost all zones have a weakness over the top if you get the time to wait. UT had guys behind the zone but Milton didn't hit them.

I'm afraid we are at the point where "cute" is a good entertainment option. We simply can't recruit with Bama et al anymore, so the one thing we need to have going for us is entertainment, a la Lane Kiffin/Mike Leach-style.
The only thing in football that is "cute" or entertaining is play that produces wins and production.

UT (or anyone else) will recruit with the top tier when top tier players see something to believe in.

It did. But Milton still didn't hit open receivers. Apparently some of the receivers also didn't work the gaps in the zone very well.

WR's are supposed to read coverage too. In zone, you go find a gap and "sit down" in it. Hopefully the QB found it too and has thrown the ball before the coverage can collapse on you. Almost all zones have a weakness over the top if you get the time to wait. UT had guys behind the zone but Milton didn't hit them.

What has me nervous is that Milton reminds me of the situation with Johnathan Crompton. Crompton turned into a great QB with Kiffin but it took 4-5 games before it happened.

Reactions: sjt18
What has me nervous is that Milton reminds me of the situation with Johnathan Crompton. Crompton turned into a great QB with Kiffin but it took 4-5 games before it happened.
Hadn't thought of that example. JC was a mental basket case with shattered confidence though. Milton may well be the opposite.

Because of Jeremy’s terrible recruiting josh inherited a total train wreck — it will take 3-4 years to turn this disaster around
The development and leadership were a train wreck. The talent is there if coached up and led properly.

It simply can't take "3-4" years to turn it around. If he doesn't show good progress before then he simply won't get the players needed to do anything but leave a "train wreck" for someone else.

Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The cycle at UT continues
There is some truth here, and some that needs to be tempered a bit.
Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.
Truth here. He does stand flat footed and likes to lock on and doe not have good touch. Tends to throw all arm and nothing else. He's a big kid, but he needs some technique work.
RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball
I disagree with this. RBs looked pretty good. Inexperience showed some, but they were solid.
Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.
These guys need to be more focused. They seemed to be playing more sandlot ball and not sticking to the routes. Too many drops, but also some of the passes were just not thrown well. Wrong location, too hard, etc.
OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D
Expecting them to protect for 10 seconds every play because Milton doesn't throw the ball is not really their fault. They are expecting the ball to be gone already. They did a solid job of run blocking.
Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.
Most of the offenses we will face can score faster than that. We do not have the depth to keep up if we do not get out of the gate fast. Our best shot is to get points early then try and hang on in SEC play.
Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.
The D did a good job of pursuit. They were not pushed around and made few bad plays. The lack of turnovers is a concern given the opponent, but overall they also did a solid job.
The cycle at UT continues
The cycle of negavols continues. The in-game and halftime adjustments are enough by themselves to give me hope. We haven't seen that since Kiffin was coach. CJH saw how much Milton struggled and changed the game plan to a run based offense in the 2nd half. Yeah, the opponent was pretty weak and maybe we should have dominated more. But for a new coach, new offense, new defense...we got a W. I'll take it and look forward to Pitt coming to town.

VN Store

Back