We are in trouble

I agree with some of that unfortunately. Especially the part about qb. To say I was disappointed in qb play after bringing in heupel would be an understatement. This is a monstrous screw up for heupel. We have a great qb on the roster in Bailey. Possibly another in hooker. When I heard about Milton I (like most of us) immediately googled him and then figured he provide quality depth behind whomever gets the nod. At Michigan, Milton was exactly what we saw Thursday night. It’s who he is. He’s a huge bust dude that can run around a little bit and has a really strong arm. But he’s a very inaccurate passer that doesn’t manage the game that well. Worst if all…he made some of these ridiculous (JG like) mistakes where he didn’t seem to understand the game. On 2nd and 10 he scrambled and then basically “cut back” right at the sticks that prevent a 1st down. All he had to do was lower his shoulder and he’d have picked up the 1st. Instead we get stuffed on 3rd and ended up punting. He’s just not good…it’s as simple as that. It’s sad a guy that got a 30M dollar contract could allow himself to be influenced by size and skills that are competently irrelevant really. Heupel’s got to be better than that. He could’ve named Bailey qb and allowed him to build a bunch of confidence leading into the season.

Last edited:
I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The cycle at UT continues
DUDE, we ran for over 300 yards. They dropped 8 into coverage all night, it was the first game and to draw that conclusion after 1 game makes me know you have never watched to much college football. I have seen teams look great game one and them bomb and vise-versa. Come back at the end of the month, you knee jerk commentary is beyond absurd! GBO!!!!!

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

What did you expect???. We were a bad team last year who lost all top ball players. Of course we will be worse this year compared to last year. We went from a bad coaching group to very bad coaching group. This is what happens when a program gets nailed for cheating. We will get 3 wins this year. We have to live with it.

They might as well go ahead and give them the trophy right now. There's not a team in American that can play within 2 Tds of them.
GA will if they get Gilbert, Washington, and Pickens back or just two of them. I know it was a defensive battle against Clemson but they are the only team in the SEC that might give Bama’s offense trouble. Don’t discount GA. They are legit.

Hopefully UTs play against BG is motivating for this week’s practices. I’d rather them go in feeling humbled rather than think their S don’t stink against Pitt.

Reactions: 67Vol
There is truth on both sides of this argument. My hope is improvement every week. This season is more about learning if we have the right coaching staff in place rather than what the win/loss column will say. I just don’t know if we have the horses to make this a fair fight for Heup. I know he had less talent at UCF but he didn’t play against SEC defenses.

DUDE, we ran for over 300 yards. They dropped 8 into coverage all night, it was the first game and to draw that conclusion after 1 game makes me know you have never watched to much college football. I have seen teams look great game one and them bomb and vise-versa. Come back at the end of the month, you knee jerk commentary is beyond absurd! GBO!!!!!
They didn't drop 8 all night.

Reactions: CountVolcula

Other than that, everything is just peachy?

Vol fan reality. Tennessee was lucky that Arkansas fumbled even thou Ratliff knocks the AA OG off balance and he trips the qb yet Penn State def is well coached cause Wisconsin botches two handoffs themselves that prevents 2 probable TDs in a game decided by 6 pts.

Last edited:
Reactions: miket4god
GA will if they get Gilbert, Washington, and Pickens back or just two of them. I know it was a defensive battle against Clemson but they are the only team in the SEC that might give Bama’s offense trouble. Don’t discount GA. They are legit.
Their defense is elite. But I don't think their offense, even with those guys back will match the bammers.

But other than that, how did you like the play Mrs. Lincoln?

Horrendous at QB? Seriously Clark? Yeah it was Bowling Green. But overall, I thought we looked pretty OK.

f365078b-e4f3-448a-9479-100054805578_text-gif.392319

Reactions: ftsandersvol

Just a suggestion....

Be careful with assessments from a week one round of games. They don't always reflect how a season will play out.

A couple of examples:

Tennessee 2020 first two games

Tennessee 2019 first two games

Tennessee 2017 first two games

its easy to read too much into a couple of early games.

VN Store

Back