We are in trouble

Whose MO is it not? Out of all the HCs hired across CFB how many are saban type hires? Not even one per year

Where have I ever mentioned Saban? How many continually end up at the bottom of their hiring list?

Fess up, you must be a direct descendant of one of these guys..

4b39fd4ce6fc4f04993d5dafc1810f00.jpg
Man
Man that brings back memories of having 3 channels and PBS.

Reactions: Alto1
Yes, by all means, let’s all follow the OP down a rabbit hole because we only won our first game by 32 points and didn’t look like a NC contender. Just a bit premature to know a whole lot about this team right now. Yes, there are things they need to improve upon, but I think I’ll wait to see how we play vs UF before I formulate an opinion on the entire season.

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The cycle at UT continues
Jesus these posts 😂🤡

Yes. This is a 6 to 8 win team and a 2 to 4 (5 or 6 on the very extreme outside) win team in the SEC... "realistically".

Mizzou is not a talented football team. Odom left roster gaps. He did not find or develop the "diamonds in the rough" like Pinkel did. They have a good QB. They have massive holes both in terms of talent and depth on both sides of the ball. They have some problems on D that are only fixed by having better players. CMU consistently moved the ball up and down the field They hurt themselves with penalties (some of which were questionable in MU's favor) or else we could be having a whole different conversation.

I'll need to see UK do that against an opponent much better than ULM before writing that game off. Their QB is a "good" player but never earned the starting job at PSU. Their receivers need to beat SEC caliber secondaries. Like UT, we will know a lot more about them over the next few weeks. We will know A LOT more about both MU and UK after this weekend.

I also like the way that game sets up for UT. UT has USCe, Ole Miss, Bama but then a bye week before UK. UK in successive weeks leading up to UT plays UF, LSU, UGA, and MSU.

Those two games are no worse than "toss ups" at this stage. Up a level from them are UF and Ole Miss. Those are possible but not likely wins for UT.

Yeah. It is negative to write UK and Mizzou off at this point which is your premise.

And Heupel will have to show himself a good HC by not allowing a QB to sink the season, won't he? UT has 3 guys with SEC caliber talent on the roster. If he is a decent coach then at least one of them can win those types of games. LOL... NO. You aren't being hyper negative at all... are you? That is being negative and specifically NOT being realistic.

Hey I'm hoping you're right! I am real tired of losing. But we have had a better roster than 1/2 the league or better for more than a decade and we have still lost to everyone from Georgia State to Vandy and Missouri and Kentucky. At this point, and that's all we have to go on, outside of Tennessee Tech, South Alabama and Vandy, we won't be consequential favorites, if at all, in any of the rest of our games. I think we beat those 3 which gets us to 4 wins. We should be within a TD of Kentucky, Missouri, and USCe. Kentucky and Missouri are on the road. We are 3.5 point dogs at home against a middle of the pack bad ACC league team in Pitt. We have to win 2 of those 4 to get to 6-6. I don't see us beating Bama, Georgia, Florida, or Ole Miss. Its football and anything can happen but getting any of those 4 would be a huge ask. So my point since we started this discussion is unless we get better QB play than we saw in the opener we are a 4 win team. With efficient QB play we get to 6 by splitting the 4 toss up games (Pitt, Kentucky, Missouri, and USCe). Of course things can change as the season progresses and most likely will. But based on what we have been for the last decade plus and what we have seen so far this year, we all ought be be thrilled with 6-6. I have and will watch every game, I was at the BG game with my daughter and 4 grandkids, I am a proud alumni of the University, so not a troll or negavol by any rational standard, but realistic expectations are 4- to very max 7 wins depending on if they get QB figured out. No one would love eating 8-4 or 9-3 crow more than me but to expect that outcome based on our recent past and the performance we saw Thursday night is unrealistic.

Where have I ever mentioned Saban? How many continually end up at the bottom of their hiring list?
You whine, whine, whine and NEVER put things in perspective. UT isn't alone. Most of the coaches hired in any given year will be fired in 3 to 5 years. The AD hasn't been led well. The outside voices and influences haven't been helpful. Fulmer could have helped but it doesn't appear he learned anything between 2008 and 2018.

FTR, you have no idea where UT ends up on its hiring list. None. Very few people do. We have rumors, speculation, and media narratives. For all you or I know, White may have wanted to bring Heupel from the start and had to placate other people. He failed magnificently but Fulmer seemed to get exactly who he wanted. The chump before him had Schiano locked up... who was apparently high on his list.

You were around when Fulmer was being debated. Several of us said then that it was safer to give him rope rather than risk the coaching carousel. Unfortunately, it came to a point where the risks of the decline UT was on were greater than the risks of hiring someone else. IIRC, Kiffin was also pretty high on the "list".

Reactions: igotworms
You whine, whine, whine and NEVER put things in perspective. UT isn't alone. Most of the coaches hired in any given year will be fired in 3 to 5 years. The AD hasn't been led well. The outside voices and influences haven't been helpful. Fulmer could have helped but it doesn't appear he learned anything between 2008 and 2018.

FTR, you have no idea where UT ends up on its hiring list. None. Very few people do. We have rumors, speculation, and media narratives. For all you or I know, White may have wanted to bring Heupel from the start and had to placate other people. He failed magnificently but Fulmer seemed to get exactly who he wanted. The chump before him had Schiano locked up... who was apparently high on his list.

You were around when Fulmer was being debated. Several of us said then that it was safer to give him rope rather than risk the coaching carousel. Unfortunately, it came to a point where the risks of the decline UT was on were greater than the risks of hiring someone else. IIRC, Kiffin was also pretty high on the "list".

Looks like you are the one whining.

We end up where we always end up, on the approach to the next buyout.

We hire the diamonds in the rough, the needle in the haystack. You're free to show we dont.

Less talent? Do you realize who Huepel had for weapons last year? Not to mention he had a top 5 qb. His talent was way better at UCF.
Chicken and egg. Was Gabriel “top 5” material out of high school? Mebbe he coached up less talent? Which was my point entirely. Are you still pretending you know things about our program? 😏

Hey I'm hoping you're right! I am real tired of losing. But we have had a better roster than 1/2 the league or better for more than a decade and we have still lost to everyone from Georgia State to Vandy and Missouri and Kentucky.
You and I are fans. We should NEVER allow ourselves to lower what "should" happen relating to the opportunity of a schedule and a roster. The rest is what we should always demand and expect of a coach. You're being negative but at the same time you're lowering the bar.

At this point, and that's all we have to go on, outside of Tennessee Tech, South Alabama and Vandy, we won't be consequential favorites, if at all, in any of the rest of our games.
You and I have both been around a long time. The odds and FPI and all that will change as the season progresses. All predictions right now are based on a fairly shallow knowledge of rosters and players and last year. We may know more about UGA than we do UK... but then again maybe Clemson's O just isn't as good as everyone expected. Maybe this will be a slump year for Clemson?

I think we beat those 3 which gets us to 4 wins. We should be within a TD of Kentucky, Missouri, and USCe.
The USCe game should not be competitive. In truth, Mizzou shouldn't be very competitive. UK is a more of a question mark but should really be a win. NONE of those stadiums are particularly difficult to play in. Unless some sudden excitement hits... UT may almost have a homefield advantage in COMO.

Kentucky and Missouri are on the road. We are 3.5 point dogs at home against a middle of the pack bad ACC league team in Pitt. We have to win 2 of those 4 to get to 6-6.
UT has more talent than those teams. The rest is coaching.

I don't see us beating Bama, Georgia, Florida, or Ole Miss.
I think those first two are at the very extreme low of probabilities. I do not expect a win but UF could be vulnerable to upset coming off Bama.

Ole Miss according to 247 has significantly less talent than UT. I am impressed with them like you are.... but is it about Jimmy's and Joe's or not?

Its football and anything can happen but getting any of those 4 would be a huge ask.
Asking a coach to beat 2 or 3 out of 4 teams with less talent is a "big ask"? Since when? Because Pruitt was a poor HC we should change our "ask"?

So my point since we started this discussion is unless we get better QB play than we saw in the opener we are a 4 win team.
UT is going to be USCe. They're awful. They're probably going to beat Mizzou even without better QB play. But possibly the most unreasonable part of your whole argument is the idea that UT will get the same as last week without improvement or change.... there's roughly a zero probability of that happening.

With efficient QB play we get to 6 by splitting the 4 toss up games (Pitt, Kentucky, Missouri, and USCe).
You can make an argument that 3 of those games are toss ups. USCe is a disaster. They pulled a GA in to play QB because a mediocre starter got hurt and their other two guys were just that bad. That GA had been a back up for Iowa State who never sniffed the starting job and then because a back up at North Dakota State. What would you be saying if UT's best option at QB were previously a back up for an FCS school?

Of course things can change as the season progresses and most likely will. But based on what we have been for the last decade plus and what we have seen so far this year, we all ought be be thrilled with 6-6.
You are an intelligent guy I think. Have you ever studied probabilities? Nothing that happened 10 years ago has a direct impact on what happens this year. You could argue that what happened last year and possibly the year before has some impact but nowhere near as much as the last 8 months.... or the talent on the roster... or the talent on those other rosters. This is a 6 to 8 win team against this schedule. The critical component is coaching and coaching decisions.

I have and will watch every game, I was at the BG game with my daughter and 4 grandkids, I am a proud alumni of the University, so not a troll or negavol by any rational standard, but realistic expectations are 4- to very max 7 wins depending on if they get QB figured out. No one would love eating 8-4 or 9-3 crow more than me but to expect that outcome based on our recent past and the performance we saw Thursday night is unrealistic.
That may be what you believe... but it isn't "realistic." Barring coaching failure this is a 6 to 8 win team. And if they do not get to that level then you can and should look directly at the current coaching staff. They will be well on their way to unemployment in 3 years.

Reactions: igotworms
You and I are fans. We should NEVER allow ourselves to lower what "should" happen relating to the opportunity of a schedule and a roster. The rest is what we should always demand and expect of a coach. You're being negative but at the same time you're lowering the bar.

You and I have both been around a long time. The odds and FPI and all that will change as the season progresses. All predictions right now are based on a fairly shallow knowledge of rosters and players and last year. We may know more about UGA than we do UK... but then again maybe Clemson's O just isn't as good as everyone expected. Maybe this will be a slump year for Clemson?

The USCe game should not be competitive. In truth, Mizzou shouldn't be very competitive. UK is a more of a question mark but should really be a win. NONE of those stadiums are particularly difficult to play in. Unless some sudden excitement hits... UT may almost have a homefield advantage in COMO.

UT has more talent than those teams. The rest is coaching.

I think those first two are at the very extreme low of probabilities. I do not expect a win but UF could be vulnerable to upset coming off Bama.

Ole Miss according to 247 has significantly less talent than UT. I am impressed with them like you are.... but is it about Jimmy's and Joe's or not?

Asking a coach to beat 2 or 3 out of 4 teams with less talent is a "big ask"? Since when? Because Pruitt was a poor HC we should change our "ask"?

UT is going to be USCe. They're awful. They're probably going to beat Mizzou even without better QB play. But possibly the most unreasonable part of your whole argument is the idea that UT will get the same as last week without improvement or change.... there's roughly a zero probability of that happening.

You can make an argument that 3 of those games are toss ups. USCe is a disaster. They pulled a GA in to play QB because a mediocre starter got hurt and their other two guys were just that bad. That GA had been a back up for Iowa State who never sniffed the starting job and then because a back up at North Dakota State. What would you be saying if UT's best option at QB were previously a back up for an FCS school?

You are an intelligent guy I think. Have you ever studied probabilities? Nothing that happened 10 years ago has a direct impact on what happens this year. You could argue that what happened last year and possibly the year before has some impact but nowhere near as much as the last 8 months.... or the talent on the roster... or the talent on those other rosters. This is a 6 to 8 win team against this schedule. The critical component is coaching and coaching decisions.

That may be what you believe... but it isn't "realistic." Barring coaching failure this is a 6 to 8 win team. And if they do not get to that level then you can and should look directly at the current coaching staff. They will be well on their way to unemployment in 3 years.

UK looked really good dude. Most people have them as borderline top 25 team. I can see Missouri and South Carolina as wins though. I had Missouri higher going into the season but they looked bad in Week 1. We beat both of them last year.

Looks like you are the one whining.

We end up where we always end up, on the approach to the next buyout.

We hire the diamonds in the rough, the needle in the haystack. You're free to show we dont.
Not trying to show we don't. Trying to make you realize that almost everyone does the same thing. There aren't many "sure things" to be had and they aren't filling out applications often.

I like Sam Pittman but what was he when Arkansas hired him? Beamer hasn't even been a coordinator. Brian Kelly used Cincy to get the ND job... and hasn't had a completely smooth run so far. Smart was a coordinator.

Brian Harsin was a "good" hire but a lot of other Boise St coaches have left and flopped completely going all the way back to Dan Hawkins who started their run. Chris Petersen who EVERYONE wanted for a while... finally left for Washington where he didn't really repeat the same success.

I really liked both Justin Fuente and Jeff Brohm. Both looked like absolute slam dunks. Neither has been as good as expected.

You act like there's some magic formula for hiring a coach or even that throwing money at someone will make it all good. That's just not true.

Not trying to show we don't. Trying to make you realize that almost everyone does the same thing. There aren't many "sure things" to be had and they aren't filling out applications often.

I like Sam Pittman but what was he when Arkansas hired him? Beamer hasn't even been a coordinator. Brian Kelly used Cincy to get the ND job... and hasn't had a completely smooth run so far. Smart was a coordinator.

Brian Harsin was a "good" hire but a lot of other Boise St coaches have left and flopped completely going all the way back to Dan Hawkins who started their run. Chris Petersen who EVERYONE wanted for a while... finally left for Washington where he didn't really repeat the same success.

I really liked both Justin Fuente and Jeff Brohm. Both looked like absolute slam dunks. Neither has been as good as expected.

You act like there's some magic formula for hiring a coach or even that throwing money at someone will make it all good. That's just not true.

I dont act like anything and I'm not interested in being like everyone else.

Which coaching search ended with us having a new coach that landed at number 2 on coaching salary in the SEC?

We want to look at Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, Pruitt and pretend like they would have passed the sniff test in a normal interview? We hire flunkies.

Huepel actually seems like the first non flunky, that said, he was hired by the AD that just left the school he was hired from. That gives me a pretty good indication of where we were on the hiring list.

I dont act like anything and I'm not interested in being like everyone else.

Which coaching search ended with us having a new coach that landed at number 2 on coaching salary in the SEC?

We want to look at Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, Pruitt and pretend like they would have passed the sniff test in a normal interview? We hire flunkies.

Huepel actually seems like the first non flunky, that said, he was hired by the AD that just left the school he was hired from. That gives me a pretty good indication of where we were on the hiring list.

The reason we ended up with Heupel is because White’s top targets turned us down.

VN Store

Back