We are in trouble

Tennessee needs to do something they haven’t done in many seasons…get better from week 1 to week 2. Particularly, in the vertical passing game. We have to have a QB catch fire at some point early in this season and I don’t much care which one it is. Just catch fire.

Well, I heard Beckwith had a hand injury. All we really know is that CJH chose not to put this flexible player out there vs. BGSU.
I hope that's correct. If he can understand and play within the O, they should be able to do a lot with someone who can do different things athletically.

My suggestion is that TN doesn't need to stick with a QB, it needs to FIND one. The QB you're looking for is a deep ball threat, as in he can put it in the right zipcode more than not. He's also one who can read and throw a receiver open, and throw it as they're breaking open. This has a lot to do with reads. I saw at least 2 replays where the receiver was breaking over the middle.....wide open at the break, ball should have been gone by that point. This is regardless of opponent.....they're irrelevant. It's the characteristics you're looking for in a successful QB.

Didn't see it Thursday. Deep ball with Milton? Not happening. It'd be luck, never skill. $0.02.

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The cycle at UT continues

I’m a newcomer to Volnation, but I’ve followed for many years. Here’s my response to your analysis.

There’s nothing to say about your response besides your inability to see anything positive. What’s your end goal? To be proven right? Every negative volnation poster just wants to be proven right, but why?

You just want to say, I told you so!

I saw positives. Compared to the previous coaching staff we are developing an identity. Our team absolutely gave up in the second half against GA. Our coach had horrendous game plans. Our offense had zero identity. But the new staff showed tremendous improvement.

Chip Kelly and Mike Norvelle have taken 2-4 years to establish their systems. Let’s give coach H an opportunity.

Go Vols and keep your **** off of here

Count, I'm usually in agreement with you. But not this time. This team can be reasonablly expected to hang with any team they play this year, except Bama, Dawgs, and possibly the Gators.

Yeah, there are shortcomings. Yeah there is a talent disparity. Yeah we fans are beaten and battered. I'll give you all that.

But why are you so ready to be unhappy?

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

Did you go to the game in person? Because there were many times wide receivers ran good routes and were wide open.. Running backs both got 100 yards and hit the holes well, with good cutbacks.. The only thing I agree on is the poor quarterback play. At times, I actually thought the refs stopped play, because Milton just stood so long in the pocket flat- footed.. He has no touch..
Week 2 will show a lot

The naysayers are so very hard at work already. Some people just thrive on negativity !!!! My goodness give our coach a chance. After all, we have not been any good for years !!!! You must think we are a dominant force in college football.

I agree with you about the offense being too fast. I know we are trying to create an advantage, but our D and OL isn't deep enough for it. They're going to be absolutely gassed. There is a reason this type of 100mph offense has never really worked. I fear if we don't slow it down, we'll be having a coaching search in a few years.
Who has this offense not worked with?

GA will if they get Gilbert, Washington, and Pickens back or just two of them. I know it was a defensive battle against Clemson but they are the only team in the SEC that might give Bama’s offense trouble. Don’t discount GA. They are legit.

Ga. was not impressive at all on offense. They played great defense, but they will not shut bama down, they have to score points and a lot of them to beat bama. I think Fla. will beat Ga. this year. Just my opinion. And I think Fla. will play bama closer than Ga. will. That is unless Ga. improves a lot on the offensive side. They do have the defense that is capable of winning if they can perform much better on the offensive side. But this is why they play the games. And 1st games do not always show what teams are capable of. 2nd and third games you usually see what kind of team you have.

Fair points. We will know a lot more after Pitt. The Pitt game will display if we are going to have talent to compete against middle of the league

Reactions: Rooster1
Tennessee needs to do something they haven’t done in many seasons…get better from week 1 to week 2. Particularly, in the vertical passing game. We have to have a QB catch fire at some point early in this season and I don’t much care which one it is. Just catch fire.
And we may get better with 10 days to correct the mistakes or they may not. We will find out Saturday.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol737
There’s no way we saw anything close to the total offensive package Thursday night. I don’t think we’ll see it Saturday either. Milton has been working to learn CJH’s offense, what, 2 months at best? Sure he needs to make quicker decisions, and if he don’t it’ll be next man up cause he won’t last long in this league. I think we’ll see improvement this week as CJH has demonstrated he can coach QBs at a high level.

Fess up, you must be a direct descendant of one of these guys..

4b39fd4ce6fc4f04993d5dafc1810f00.jpg

Reactions: Smokymtnbullet
Always amusing when certain “experts” pronounce judgement after one game. No reasonable fan is expecting more than 6-6 or 7-5 at best. If you do, you haven’t been paying attention the last year or so and just don’t understand what it takes to build a team. NCAA investigation, new coach, new system, many new players and not near enough talent or depth. But yeah, let’s compare them to Bama. I guess it’s always easier to spew negativity than to give them a chance to show improvement. Pretty much reflects society today. “I want it and I want it now.” Rome wasn’t built in a day especially against an SEC schedule. Have we picked the right coach? I don’t know but I’m willing to give him more than one game to prove it.

VN Store

Back