We are in trouble

We’ll know more about Heupel next recruiting class. If he can recruit at least in the top 10 then great. If not we are still going to be a lost program.

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The cycle at UT continues

I agree with the bad QB play.

I'm not so sure our oline will be that bad this year. Cade looked great, like a first rounder. They obviously won't get the same movement against SEC opponents, but they looked like they were playing together and knew where the pressure was coming from. That's more than we can say in awhile.

Defense looked like they played hard, knew what they were doing, and are surprisingly somewhat deep.

In general, I think alot of your criticisms are reasons why we won't win championships this season.

To me 7-5 depends on if we can get good QB play. It's vital for us to be successful this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: orangebloodgmc
How are you not impressed with two guys over 100 yards? You people are pitiful.
I just didn't think they looked thar fast or aggressive running. Most yards where do to the oline. I'm happy for them. I just saw nothing that made me think they are top tier runningbacks. Only been an avid fan for 45 years though but pretty sure I can spot a talented Rb

Wow... you guys. I hope Beckwith finds a role but right now he's not better than 5th string behind a walk-on. Small missed some openings but ran well. Not sure what else you want from Evans. He found the creases, made good cuts, then got up field. Neither is dynamic in the open field as Gray was but both looked as good or better than Chandler ever did.
Well, I heard Beckwith had a hand injury. All we really know is that CJH chose not to put this flexible player out there vs. BGSU.

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

Your extrapolating much from a single source. Rarely a wise decision.

I wasn't impressed with our RBs either inspite 100yards by each. Hopefully Dee Beckwith with be the guy.
So you would rather the coach play guys that evidently aren’t that good ahead of the guys that they think are better? Do you want Tennessee to win football games?

So, you gonna stop watching since you’ve mailed it in already?

So you would rather the coach play guys that evidently aren’t that good ahead of the guys that they think are better? Do you want Tennessee to win football games?
Dee held out from what I'm told. I just wasn't impressed with them. Seem like decent RBs but wasn't wowed by them

The Count is royalty in the Legion of the Miserable.

We’re not in trouble.. We where always going to stink this year, nothing from Thursday changed that.

I’m very pleased that we looked prepared and competently coached for the first time in 4 years, that’s an absolute win in my opinion.

Newsflash, we've been in trouble since 2008

This whole thing reminds me of a 1780 letter future President John Adams wrote to his wife Abigail while he was drumming up support for us in Paris. We needed guns and money for war. France had the problem of worrying about what luxury shall we indulge in next.

The Vols need fundamentals and game reps. The Sabans and Smarts of the world get to focus extra time on the mental game. We will get there. Just not this season or maybe a few more. Here is part of what he said. Interesting...

"To take a Walk in the Gardens of the Palace of the Tuilleries, and describe the Statues there, all in marble, in which the ancient Divinities and Heroes are represented with exquisite Art, would be a very pleasant Amusement, and instructive Entertainment, improving in History, Mythology, Poetry, as well as in Statuary. Another Walk in the Gardens of Versailles, would be usefull and agreable. But to observe these Objects with Taste and describe them so as to be understood, would require more time and thought than I can possibly Spare. It is not indeed the fine Arts, which our Country requires. The Usefull, the mechanic Arts, are those which We have occasion for in a young Country, as yet simple and not far advanced in Luxury, altho perhaps much too far for her Age and Character.

I could fill Volumes with Descriptions of Temples and Palaces, Paintings, Sculptures, Tapestry, Porcelaine, &c. &c. &c. -- if I could have time. But I could not do this without neglecting my duty. The Science of Government it is my Duty to study, more than all other Studies Sciences: the Art of Legislation and Administration and Negotiation, ought to take Place, indeed to exclude in a manner all other Arts. I must study Politicks and War that my sons may have liberty to study Mathematicks and Philosophy. My sons ought to study Mathematicks and Philosophy, Geography, natural History, Naval Architecture, navigation, Commerce and Agriculture, in order to give their Children a right to study Painting, Poetry, Musick, Architecture, Statuary, Tapestry and Porcelaine."

How are you not impressed with two guys over 100 yards? You people are pitiful.
Last year we couldnt even get a RB up to 60-70 yds in a game and people were complaining and now they are complining when 2 RBs goes over 100 each. The only thing I have a problem with is Milton. He is the same as he was with Michigan and he is scared of contact. He cant find open WRs and stares down the one he is looking for. Sounds almost like JG with a stronger arm

Reactions: Rylee_Vol18

New coach. New staff. New system. Talent leaves. Talent that stays is thin. Give it some time. Not sure if any coach would turn us into a 9-3 team our first year. Also, we've only played 1 game. Cycle may continue but we can't keep expecting every year is gonna be "it" when we've had some much detriment in the past.

I wasn't impressed with our RBs either inspite 100yards by each. Hopefully Dee Beckwith with be the guy.

How can you say that after watching our guys the other night and only having a very small sample size on Beckwith? I think Beckwith becomes what we all want him to be but to have seen Evans and Small do very well and to just blindly hope Beckwith will take over is kinda crazy. I love our depth there so we will see I guess.

New coach. New staff. New system. Talent leaves. Talent that stays is thin. Give it some time. Not sure if any coach would turn us into a 9-3 team our first year. Also, we've only played 1 game. Cycle may continue but we can't keep expecting every year is gonna be "it" when we've had some much detriment in the past.
Well said.

Reactions: dcm3w

VN Store

Back