We are in trouble

I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

Wrs can't run routes to save their life. They also seem slow as molasses.

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The cycle at UT continues
It is just one game; remember a couple of yrs. ago we lost our first two games to Ga St and BYU, and still won 8 games. Like they say, "a win is a win." Not to mention, getting Calloway, and Young back will help.

Reactions: N.ohio vol
I gave it a few days to see where our opponents ended up after yesterday, to give my take on what I saw Thursday and where I think we end up at the end of the year

Its not going to be pretty. Our QB play was horrendous. Against one of the worst defenses in Div 1, Milton looked like another mediocre QB at UT. Stayed too long in the pocket, stared down receivers, threw the ball with no touch, and took sacks when he could have ran it for fairly good gains. This won't fly against good competition. No way he is our best passing option at QB. If he isnt going to run, give it to someone who doesnt throw a 100mph, 5 and out.

RBs still don't know how to hit the hole with purpose. Too prone to follow blocks instead of seeing the field and findimg holes. Too slow once they get the ball

OL looked decent against a trash defense. They'll get beat like rented mules by an SEC D

Offense is too fast.We arent good enough to run 3 plays in 27 seconds. Too many of those in games and our D will be toast. I know its cute, but its not practical. You have to give your D time to rest, especially against better teams that will pound our D into dust.

Defense is mediocre,except for a few bright spots. Banks will be exposed by better offenses. The Penn State D had its worst D last year under Franklin and since Banks left, it improved greatly in the Wisconsin game. There is a reason that Penn St didn't try harder to retain him.

The only cycle that I see is people as your self trying to be a coach. If you find nothing good about them, ( I was able to see lots of improvement) the last time I checked, there were several teams that would welcome you. There were a number of so called good teams that came within an eyelash of getting beat by crappy teams over the weekend, so looks like you have a choice of watching anyone you choose while true fans will be tuned in for our Vol's game

Reactions: N.ohio vol
The only cycle that I see is people as your self trying to be a coach. If you find nothing good about them, ( I was able to see lots of improvement) the last time I checked, there were several teams that would welcome you. There were a number of so called good teams that came within an eyelash of getting beat by crappy teams over the weekend, so looks like you have a choice of watching anyone you choose while true fans will be tuned in for our Vol's game

This is stupid.

The days of calling out people who are critical of the team on here as not true fans is over.

We have been a crap team for almost 20 years now.

Anyone who cares about UT football at this point is a true fan and I know the count has been around here for years and I don’t know who the hell you are.

The QB looked like crap and the offense looked like crap. Both are valid points.

I agree with you about the offense being too fast. I know we are trying to create an advantage, but our D and OL isn't deep enough for it. They're going to be absolutely gassed. There is a reason this type of 100mph offense has never really worked. I fear if we don't slow it down, we'll be having a coaching search in a few years.
Valid point on needing to be deep in trenches, but we also don’t have the talent to line up and beat anyone of significance head to head. This offense is meant to tilt the advantage to scheme, though still need Jimmys and Joes. I’m all for a change..make people adapt to you. Most important thing for JH is to get the qb right. I’ve got feeling Bailey will end up being the guy, though he lacks some mobility.

Hopefully UTs play against BG is motivating for this week’s practices. I’d rather them go in feeling humbled rather than think their S don’t stink against Pitt.

There are a lot of positives in the game video, including Milton's play. But there are failings that need to be worked and corrected. I think this is a good team that can be very good if it makes the needed improvements.

Reactions: TC 83

🙄👌 I don't always overreact but when I do I do it on volnation and use way too many words.

I am still amazed at the outlook you currently have. Extreme negativity, with neverending doom and gloom. You were the exact opposite at one time. With the pain dealing with the state of the program, why do you still keep watching the VOLS in any capacity? There were several things to be concerned about, but there were also things to be encouraged about. If Joe Milton can be coached up, or one of the other QBs steps up, this offense can light anyone up. The defense looked far better than it has in a while. I choose to not write off the team after one game without seeing what improvements the coaching staff can pull off in a long week of preparation.

Reactions: feathersax

Vandy Troll for sure.

Reactions: feathersax
So... you take the worst possible view of everything... assume they won't improve anything... and then make this declaration without the context of how the opponents looked?

Mizzou just gave up 475 to Central Michigan and struggled with them the whole game. You could argue that without some CMU penalties more than one of which were questionable... they beat Mizzou.

What you're attempting to do is like saying that your kid is the slowest runner in his class... without knowing how slow or fast the other kids are. It would take a near miracle for UT to beat Bama or UGA. Every other team on the schedule revealed weaknesses against similarly weak competition.

Bama & UGA are, I think we can all agree, losses, most likely of the blow out variety. With one data point on which to judge, Mizzou and Vandy look like wins. I was hoping USCe was going to continue to regress but they looked pretty good. The first 2 1/2 qtrs of the Florida game gave me hope, then Richardson came in and looked like the second coming of Tebow, only faster. Kentucky passed for 400 yards and played good D. Pittsburgh is the key to the kind of season most of us expected and hoped for 6-6 and a bowl.

Barring key injuries - we need Cooper Mays back badly - and efficient (not even great) QB play we can get there. We were not efficient at QB against BG. My concern is Haupel has all his chips riding on Milton. We could easily have seen the other 2 QBs earlier Thursday night but didn't. That tells me neither Hooker nor Bailey is seriously in the mix. It is what it is. It is not hyperbole to say any realistic chance for a bowl comes down to the showdown with the Panthers at high noon Saturday. Just my early season take.

🙄👌 I don't always overreact but when I do I do it on volnation and use way too many words.

We are a team that is 500 with freaking Vandy the last 6 years and a bottom dweller in the SEC.

How is he over reacting?

If anyone should be able to spot a crap football team it’s a TN fan.

We have been in trouble for a decade. You really should get some new material. Or maybe find a new hobby.

Because of Jeremy’s terrible recruiting josh inherited a total train wreck — it will take 3-4 years to turn this disaster around

Reactions: OllVol
Bama & UGA are, I think we can all agree, losses, most likely of the blow out variety. With one data point on which to judge, Mizzou and Vandy look like wins. I was hoping USCe was going to continue to regress but they looked pretty good.
UT played one of the worst teams in FBS... USCe played very literally one of the worst teams in FCS. UT's scout team would look "pretty good" against that team.

The first 2 1/2 qtrs of the Florida game gave me hope, then Richardson came in and looked like the second coming of Tebow, only faster.
FAU is a good G5 team. But you can't read too much into UF handling them. UF fans are worried about their passing game like us. They still have concerns about a D that gave up 353 yds to FAU.

Kentucky passed for 400 yards and played good D. Pittsburgh is the key to the kind of season most of us expected and hoped for 6-6 and a bowl.
Those two teams may have found two of the few, maybe only, teams worse than BGSU to open with. Again, you can't read too much into those scores or wins. You can tell something about individual players and units maybe. ULM had the worst total O at 305 ypg and next to worst total D in the Sun Belt last fall. They scored 16 ppg and gave up 42. All this against an all G5 schedule. UMass was even worse. In 4 games, they scored one TD and one FG while giving up 40 ppg.

Barring key injuries - we need Cooper Mays back badly - and efficient (not even great) QB play we can get there. We were not efficient at QB against BG.
Agreed. Milton did not play well. Apparently he and the receivers both didn't play as they had practiced. That will have to improve or it will get ugly. There is absolutely no reason at all to think Heupel will allow the season to be sunk by Milton or any other individual player.
My concern is Haupel has all his chips riding on Milton.
There's no evidence of that yet.
We could easily have seen the other 2 QBs earlier Thursday night but didn't.
He kept his starter in to work on his first team O. Milton has earned it to this point. That's all. If he continues to perform poorly then worry about it.
That tells me neither Hooker nor Bailey is seriously in the mix.
They were. They didn't win the job. If Milton keeps stumbling then he'll have to open it back up.

It is what it is. It is not hyperbole to say any realistic chance for a bowl comes down to the showdown with the Panthers at high noon Saturday. Just my early season take.
And pretty consistent with a negative skew you have generally.

We have been so conditioned over the last 12 years to see the bad in everything. Any other time, if we rush for over 300 yards, hold the opponent (any opponent) to 32 yards rushing, and win by 30+, the "old heads" are ecstatic. Since we were supposed to throw it all over the yard with this style offense and didn't, the sky is falling again. Take this win for what it was, and see what next week looks like. We haven't even seen enough to create a pattern yet. If we see the same issues again, then we can start to wonder about this team.

This is stupid.

The days of calling out people who are critical of the team on here as not true fans is over.

We have been a crap team for almost 20 years now.

Anyone who cares about UT football at this point is a true fan and I know the count has been around here for years and I don’t know who the hell you are.

The QB looked like crap and the offense looked like crap. Both are valid points.
Mostly agree but the offense as a whole didn't look like crap. The run game was pretty good. The OL other than a few things played well. I doubt we know how the responsibility breaks down between the receivers and Milton but it is more than safe to say that Milton played poorly after the first quarter or so. He didn't see guys coming open. He missed open receivers. Just the two or 3 deep balls he misfired on would have changed the entire complexion of the game and perception of his/the O's performance.

I think there is an important division though. Be critical but be a fan. Don't make it personal toward these kids or coaches. Hyatt dropped a couple of balls that could have changed the game... but he isn't a worthless pos... or anything like that. Too many times people here personalize it as if a player has personally offended them by not playing well.... kind of a "universe rotates around me" kind of attitude.

Wow... you guys. I hope Beckwith finds a role but right now he's not better than 5th string behind a walk-on. Small missed some openings but ran well. Not sure what else you want from Evans. He found the creases, made good cuts, then got up field. Neither is dynamic in the open field as Gray was but both looked as good or better than Chandler ever did.
I think I'm in the minority, but I never thought Gray was special. He had some success and had nice speed. He was super easy to tackle and missed many running lanes from what my TV eyes showed me.

Mostly agree but the offense as a whole didn't look like crap. The run game was pretty good. The OL other than a few things played well. I doubt we know how the responsibility breaks down between the receivers and Milton but it is more than safe to say that Milton played poorly after the first quarter or so. He didn't see guys coming open. He missed open receivers. Just the two or 3 deep balls he misfired on would have changed the entire complexion of the game and perception of his/the O's performance.

I think there is an important division though. Be critical but be a fan. Don't make it personal toward these kids or coaches. Hyatt dropped a couple of balls that could have changed the game... but he isn't a worthless pos... or anything like that. Too many times people here personalize it as if a player has personally offended them by not playing well.... kind of a "universe rotates around me" kind of attitude.
I can live with Milton not being a great thrower if he'd just run with purpose. I didn't like how scared of contact he seemed. I can live with 14 - 28 passing if he can rattle off 5-10 yard runs routinely and move the chains. He can be a knockoff Cam with the right mentality. Maybe not as fast. Maybe not as good of a thrower. You can't teach his size though. Use it

Reactions: OllVol
Wow... you guys. I hope Beckwith finds a role but right now he's not better than 5th string behind a walk-on. Small missed some openings but ran well. Not sure what else you want from Evans. He found the creases, made good cuts, then got up field. Neither is dynamic in the open field as Gray was but both looked as good or better than Chandler ever did.
Yeah I don't think Small is great, but I like how hard he runs. But Evans will be a star here. Not sure what more he could have done. Wasn't slow had good vision and a little bit of wiggle for a big guy.

VN Store

Back