Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
SF keeping it real. I really hope our reputational issues don't sink the white whale, as he said they might. But if they do, I guess there is nothing to hang our heads on. We are just a mess right now. Still keeping my fingers crossed though.
well, i think you can sell clean slate with boyd, plowman, white at the helm. reputation is what it is....but....steps have been taken to correct. now, does he buy it?

Reactions: m1al
A hire on the level of Will Healy or Tony Elliott is certainly realistic to me, but what I think it would show is both the coaching community and our new athletic department believes the sanctions are going to be pretty bad and we are years away from coming out of it.

Hiring one of those guys tells me there is an assumption we are three to five years away and we will let them grow here. And I don't mean that as a negative thing either.

I hope, no matter who is hired, that we give big money and a long-term, guaranteed type deal. Signal to everyone - the fanbase, the coaching staff, the national media, that we are 100% behind our guy and we won't be wavering on him any time soon.

Listening to Fan Run this morning, which typically I enjoy far more than the university mouth pieces at 99.1, but they are so tunnel visioned on their love for Lane Kiffin they're pretty much convinced no hire is good unless we hire Kiffin. They were incredibly lukewarm on Matt Campbell and don't think he'd be worth the money.

If Matt Campbell isn't "good enough" than who the hell do they think would be good enough for Tennessee?? Kiffin has melted their brains.
Those guys are morons

It’s probably based around style of play. They want Tennessee to be an air raid, no huddle offense that tries everything to score 50+ each game, does a lot of fake plays to the point in which its predictable, and always goes for it if it’s 4th and less than 5. Kiffin coaches like I play madden, and that’s what they want here. And he doesn’t care about defense at all. Not a sustainable way to win in this league, idc how the style of play has changed in the league, defense and run game is still important

Give it time. When Rick retires, they’ll clamor for Bruce to come back because all his basketball teams do are shoot 3s

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
UT's inner circle on this is four people-- four very close-mouthed people. Then you have outside noise from agents and media, fueling speculation that's generally agenda-driven.

IDT this was intended to be a broad search. I think it has been very contained with a specific profile of the kind of guy UT wants. By the time legit news "leaks," UT will be buttoning it up with an announcement soon after. And staff announcements will start coming soon after that.

SIAP, but Ramon is not a Kiffin fan.

And he is right. Bring us Matt Campbell or someone like that. Don't take no for an answer. Give them the money and the length of contract that it would take to get them here. Heck, give them the Jimbo Fisher deal. Who cares. We can't afford to miss.

Again - if it is Campbell - on 2/1 the buyout drops by $1 M without a waiver from ISU. The longer it goes is not a bad thing unless they are not going with Campbell. They can save $1 M that can be applied to coaching staff salaries by simply waiting less than a week. UT will not announce unless they have a signed MOU, IMO. So, if it is somebody else they could go on and announce once that occurs.
I don't think it works that way. With the amount of money being mentioned, UT cannot afford to wait another week and hope their man doesn't have a change of heart just because the buyout drops $1M on 2/1. We've been down that road before with the coach from Louisville who accepted our offer and then went back to Louisville to tell his AD and team. They countered and the rest is history. When you have your guy, you get a contract signed immediately. They would be foolish to try to save $1M in our current situation.

Last edited:
He’s not really “from Cookeville” just born there. He’s from Chatsworth but his dad and family are from Celina.
Saw his dad played at TN Tech and looks like they moved to GA when Billy was 5. Do you know if they are a Vols family due to the TN background of his dad?

A hire on the level of Will Healy or Tony Elliott is certainly realistic to me, but what I think it would show is both the coaching community and our new athletic department believes the sanctions are going to be pretty bad and we are years away from coming out of it.

Hiring one of those guys tells me there is an assumption we are three to five years away and we will let them grow here. And I don't mean that as a negative thing either.

I hope, no matter who is hired, that we give big money and a long-term, guaranteed type deal. Signal to everyone - the fanbase, the coaching staff, the national media, that we are 100% behind our guy and we won't be wavering on him any time soon.
i think that's where we are too.

Reactions: MarcoVol
I skip a lot of pages. Remind me again why everyone has a hard on for not wanting Franklin? Everyone hated him at candy but that’s because he was kicking our butts and was a better coach than we had. All the other stuff about rape, I havn’t seen anything other than people making assumptions and repeating other unsubstantiated information. All the articles I’ve read pretty much clear him. I just wanna win and he is no more shady than HF or LK, but he has a better resume than both. All that to say, I would be surprised if he comes here.
There was a lot of smoke in that rape situation. No, there wasn't any complete proof or Franklin would be in prison; but it's the same thing with Schiano. Why bring in someone like that who may have participated in sweeping some bad stuff under the rug? There's enough evidence that I would avoid both (although I was not in the camp that Schiano is a bad football coach, I thought he was a MUCH better choice for football than Pruitt). Bad things happened under their watches, and just because you don't have enough evidence to legally put them away, there is enough evidence to avoid hiring them, imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back