Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you feel the same way about AJ Johnson before he was cleared in court?
1. AJ wasn't the leader of a team full of 18-23 year old men thay facilitated that culture.
2. If you listened to the story it wasn't too hard to see that AJ may end up being innocent.
3. Go look at Franklin's time at Penn St. He has had major culture issues there as well, if it was only the Vandy thing maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt but not when he has issues at his next school as well.

Again - if it is Campbell - on 2/1 the buyout drops by $1 M without a waiver from ISU. The longer it goes is not a bad thing unless they are not going with Campbell. They can save $1 M that can be applied to coaching staff salaries by simply waiting less than a week. UT will not announce unless they have a signed MOU, IMO. So, if it is somebody else they could go on and announce once that occurs.

Last edited:
Just my opinion if they land the whale they will let Low break it. He tends to be given the big stories. If it gets down the list then probably come from anywhere.

Hey guys, breaking news! I'm hearing from my sources that it will be Tennessee Tech's head coach. Don't care if you believe me.

Now, since someone randomly on the internet threw out another disappointing name, you guys should hijack the thread, talk about how you'll be pissed off about Tennessee Tech's coach for the next 10 pages.

It IS NOT Healy
It IS NOT Franklin
It IS NOT Elliott

Just stop running with names you hear one time. Good grief.
It's probably Elliot, but could be Fleck or Franklin.

Pete Thamel on his Yahoo Podcast said Danny White has raised the bar for what is possible in this coaching search for Tennessee, and listed these three candidates as the ones he thinks DW should go after, even if "there is a bit of a reach factor involved":

Neal Brown
Scott Satterfield
Sonny Dykes

I really hate Pete Thamel. No other reporter hates our program more than him.

you don't follow up Schiano Sunday by hiring James Franklin....if some of y'all don't see why, that's unfortunate. but we're not trying a case in a court of law here.....i don't need proof of anything to determine if he matches the "integrity and moral compass" standards discussed on Friday.

it's non starter....

It's really that simple.

Reactions: jakez4ut
Driving my daughter to school today and listening to The Game (old Z93) here in Georgia, and man Mike Griffith of DogNation was hammering UT for paying 1.8 million for an AD. I know he's a UGA fanboy/reporter but I really hope we prove everyone wrong with a home run hire. We need to kill this hire if we want to catch up to UGA, Bama and Florida.
Mike Griffith is the biggest ass kisser/jersey chaser of a reporter I’ve even seen. He was all over Butch’s nuts and now he’s doing the same thing in Athens.

Listening to Fan Run this morning, which typically I enjoy far more than the university mouth pieces at 99.1, but they are so tunnel visioned on their love for Lane Kiffin they're pretty much convinced no hire is good unless we hire Kiffin. They were incredibly lukewarm on Matt Campbell and don't think he'd be worth the money.

If Matt Campbell isn't "good enough" than who the hell do they think would be good enough for Tennessee?? Kiffin has melted their brains.
Kiffin is just the #1 "fan excitement" hire and of course for radio listens that's who would play the best if hired. And tbh i dunno if Campbell is worth 8 million but he's definitely the best possible hire we could make and is held in higher regard than Kiffin currently by most.

Reactions: Lofton/Durant4 3
Pete Thamel on his Yahoo Podcast said Danny White has raised the bar for what is possible in this coaching search for Tennessee, and listed these three candidates as the ones he thinks DW should go after, even if "there is a bit of a reach factor involved":

Neal Brown
Scott Satterfield
Sonny Dykes

I really hate Pete Thamel. No other reporter hates our program more than him.
Oh I think Dennis Dodd, Forde and Wolken are neck and neck w/ him.

1. AJ wasn't the leader of a team full of 18-23 year old men thay facilitated that culture.
2. If you listened to the story it wasn't too hard to see that AJ may end up being innocent.
3. Go look at Franklin's time at Penn St. He has had major culture issues there as well, if it was only the Vandy thing maybe he gets the benefit of the doubt but not when he has issues at his next school as well.

I take it you wouldn’t want Urban Meyer as HC then?

TONS of culture issues. Had a legit murderer on his team, a crap ton of arrests. Poor leadership, poor culture. Plus the stuff at OSU with the assistant coach. Basically harboring an environment where it’s ok to beat on pregnant women.

So I take it Urban would be a no from you?

I take it you wouldn’t want Urban Meyer as HC then?

TONS of culture issues. Had a legit murderer on his team, a crap ton of arrests. Poor leadership, poor culture. Plus the stuff at OSU with the assistant coach. Basically harboring an environment where it’s ok to beat on pregnant women.

So I take it Urban would be a no from you?

Yep

Listening to Fan Run this morning, which typically I enjoy far more than the university mouth pieces at 99.1, but they are so tunnel visioned on their love for Lane Kiffin they're pretty much convinced no hire is good unless we hire Kiffin. They were incredibly lukewarm on Matt Campbell and don't think he'd be worth the money.

If Matt Campbell isn't "good enough" than who the hell do they think would be good enough for Tennessee?? Kiffin has melted their brains.
yeah, i've made it pretty clear where i stand on Kiffin...but i'm not stupid....usuallly.

campbell is an absolute home run, if that actually happened. Fleck would be a home run. Fickle would be a home run....

this time last monday, the sentiment around here was that the program was dead. so i think over the course of the past 7 days, there's been a loss of appreciation for the situation we're in, and just how desirable this job is, especially considering what may lie ahead in terms of the NCAA part of the investigation/penalties. i think we've done about as well as we can to mitigate that, and there'll have to be a lot of disclosure to whoever the actual candidates are......not to mention the shape of the roster, which is still very much TBD.

so with all that, TN has to compensate for those shortcomings....i like some of the things i've heard in terms of money willing to pay, the rotating contract, bringing assistants...etc....

we're in the wonderful world of not having a choice in regards to making those concessions. the challenge is, even with them, it still may not lure a guy away from what is almost assuredly a good situation for that coach....

so when i see/hear stuff like that about who's good enough/not good enough etc...or who TN should 'just go get'....that's a bit tone deaf on the part of the folks making those statements.

it won't matter who we hire, the contract is going to be VERY coach friendly, and we'll over pay....gotta find someone to say yes though.

They are idiots. Matt Campbell is a top five coach in America right now. Kiffin isn’t even top ten.

I still think Napier is the dark horse. I would guess he's the backup plan. But also maybe I'm thinking too small. I don't know anymore.

I'm basically ignoring all posts that aren't about Matt Campbell at the moment.

I am perfectly fine with Napier if it is not a big gun. He is a builder and runs good schemes. His players give their all for him and he has all of the recruiting contacts.

Got the best quote of this coaching search for you.

Middle tier donor just text me this

“sad the world we live in where Freeze gets chastised for loving women. If he loved Men he’d be forgiven”

a few more colorful words to replace those make it more funny

I’m pretty sure if he only was in trouble for hookers that one he would have still been HC at Ole Miss or he wouldn’t have nearly the hard time to get a job. I always felt there was more to it and that he fel on the sword for NCAA items similar to what we are doing to Pruitt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back