Jeff Fisher comments on interest in the UT job

Holy crap this place has lost its damn mind if we have people that actually want Jeff Fisher.

Jeff Fisher went to the Super Bowl.......21 years ago. His last playoff win was 17 years ago. His last playoff appearance was 12 years ago. He didn't have a winning season his last 7 seasons, with the final 6 all being losing seasons. His 21 seasons saw 6 good seasons to offset 15 meh to terrible seasons. 2 of his 6 playoff seasons saw him blow the #1 seed in the playoffs. The guy's overall NFL career screams meh.

If you think an average NFL coach who hasn't even been relevant in the NFL for 13 years and has zero college coaching experience is a great hire for UT and we should be going after him.....holy crap we may need to just give up. I would take Fulmer again in a heartbeat over a guy like Fisher who would be a disaster.

Just....rofl at the idea that Jeff Fisher would be a good hire.
Dude we were 3-7 with JEREMY PRUITT , have NCAA sanctions coming and you are rotfl at hiring Jeff Fisher? Are you high? Who do you think we are right now?

Jeff Fisher wasn’t fired at Tennessee. He actually left on his own accord and went to the Rams.
Then his future franchise QB Bradford suffered back to back season ending ACL tears. Then he got hit with having to pack up a football team a second time and move across country. He built the Rams roster to what it is now. He saw how special Goff was and drafted him. He built the Rams today into what they are. McVay is offensive minded and has them playing great. One could argue that Fisher was an OC away.
I lived in LA when USC hired Pete Carroll. USC fans said the same exact things about that hire. He built an amazing college staff around him. Kiffin, Sarkisian, Orgeron, Norm Chow, Tim Davis, Nick Holt, Ken Norton Jr, to name a few.
Not saying Fisher would be Pete Carroll in college...just saying the NFL experience as a CEO was transitioned great because he knew how to build a team and staff.
Good post, but I meant LA.

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS
Dude we were 3-7 with JEREMY PRUITT , have NCAA sanctions coming and you are rotfl at hiring Jeff Fisher? Are you high? Who do you think we are right now?

So you want to fire a sh** coach and replace him with a guy who was an average NFL coach that hasn't been relevant in 13 years, who will no doubt demand way more than he's worth because hey he got to the Super Bowl 21 years ago? Tie that guy up in an overpriced 5 year contract, and then in 5 years you want to be right back in this position and wondering why our stupid administration gave so much to a washed up NFL only guy?

You really want that?

I was never a big Fisher fan when he was with the Titans but I would take him in a heartbeat. He knows how to coach players up, and the product on the field would be 10x better. Will he win a National championship? Probably not, but he would get Tennessee back to being respectable and set a good foundation for the next coach. Maybe a Rick Barnes scenario and he blows away all expectations. Dude is a good football coach, better than Pruitt, Dooley, and Butch combined (I know thats not saying much).

I was never a big Fisher fan when he was with the Titans but I would take him in a heartbeat. He knows how to coach players up, and the product on the field would be 10x better. Will he win a National championship? Probably not, but he would get Tennessee back to being respectable and set a good foundation for the next coach. Maybe a Rick Barnes scenario and he blows away all expectations. Dude is a good football coach, better than Pruitt, Dooley, and Butch combined (I know thats not saying much).

Based on what?

Reactions: MaTaLa
So you want to fire a sh** coach and replace him with a guy who was an average NFL coach that hasn't been relevant in 13 years, who will no doubt demand way more than he's worth because hey he got to the Super Bowl 21 years ago? Tie that guy up in an overpriced 5 year contract, and then in 5 years you want to be right back in this position and wondering why our stupid administration gave so much to a washed up NFL only guy?

You really want that?
Hey man we are not on the same page here. Its cool.

Reactions: MiramarVol
Chuck Noll - 4 Super Bowls - .566 winning percentage. Considered one of the top 5 coaches in the history of football.

John McKay - 4 NCAA Titles - .335 in 9 seasons in the NFL

Steve Spurrier - 1 NCAA Title - .375 in 2 NFL seasons.

Gene Stallings - 1 NCAA Title - .405 in 4 seasons in the NFL.

Dennis Erickson - 2 NCAA Titles - .417 in 6 seasons in the NFL.

Nick Saban - 5 NCAA titles - .468 in 2 seasons in the NFL.

*Winning in the post-merger NFL is hard. Winning in the salary cap era is even harder.

Still don't make Jeff Fisher the right guy.

Nope, nope, nope. Tired of Defensive guys, especially ones that were mediocre at best.
He did nothing with the Rams. Right when a real coach took over they ended up going to the Super Bowl, I even believe the Titans got better after fishers prime. I’m definitely a fan but not for the Vols right now

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
After being a founding member and season ticket holder of the Titans and watching Jeff Fisher for many years. Here are some of my observations. Jeff is a good coach that understands the game. He knows how to handle the press and public relations. He believes in strong defensive player to build a team. He is a gambler on offense, not a careless risk taker but an opportunist. He has tons of Tennessee contacts, and many of his players are coaches and assistants in high school in the mid state. I will guarantee he knows the rule book better than the refs on the field. He believes in second chances, but has no problem cutting someone lose when time comes. Like most coaches he wants control, let’s his coordinators coach, but his special teams better be special. He thrives when he has a great offensive coordinator, but can win the close defensive battles as well as anyone. Took the Titans to a Super Bowl and built the LA Rams squad that went two years later after he left. We could do a lot worse than Jeff Fisher, but because he has not been in the college game, and not recruiting in the southeast, I would prefer Hugh Freeze.

Chuck Noll - 4 Super Bowls - .566 winning percentage. Considered one of the top 5 coaches in the history of football.

John McKay - 4 NCAA Titles - .335 in 9 seasons in the NFL

Steve Spurrier - 1 NCAA Title - .375 in 2 NFL seasons.

Gene Stallings - 1 NCAA Title - .405 in 4 seasons in the NFL.

Dennis Erickson - 2 NCAA Titles - .417 in 6 seasons in the NFL.

Nick Saban - 5 NCAA titles - .468 in 2 seasons in the NFL.

*Winning in the post-merger NFL is hard. Winning in the salary cap era is even harder.

Other than Noll and sort of Stallings, everyone of those coaches were primarily college coaches and had success in college before they went to the NFL. Saban and Spurrier had won national championships, Erickson had won 2, and John McKay had won 4. Stallings spent the majority of his time as an NFL assistant but even he was the HC at TAMU before he went to the NFL.

Basically none of those situations are comparable to Fisher coming here at this point in his career.

Reactions: MaTaLa
Could he be our Pete Carrol?

It seemed like he had trouble adapting in his later years coaching in the NFL. His inability to get out of a spell of mediocrity and the quick turn around of the Rams under another coach is definitely concerning.

You are the one that brought up Saban. This is an offensive game now, not a defensive one. Even Saban has said that. So no I don’t want a has been defensive minded coach to come in and coach this team. And for the record Pruitt was Sabans DC.
I know that but I think he would be a better Coach than freaking Pruitt, and I'm sure he realizes the game has changed

VN Store

Back