Jeff Fisher comments on interest in the UT job

How many National Championships had he won before the NFL? How many years had he coached in college before the NFL.

Why are you comparing a guy who had the highest success in college and decided to dip his toe in the NFL with a guy who is a past his prime NFL only guy who hasn't coached anything in 5 years?
What about say Pete Carroll or Butch Davis?
I bet Fisher can teach DBs to play man coverage and stop slant passes though 😂

kinda feel like fisher was nothing without jim schwartz

plus his handling of goff left alot to be desired

So a guy who has won a NC in college and ran a hugely successful LSU program is somehow worse than a guy who was terrible in the NFL and has NEVER coached a down in college football?

View attachment 337858
Fisher won a National Championship in college, played on a super bowl championship team, and coached a NFL team to a super bowl. Led Miles record last year was 0-9.

Better than Saban's record in the NFL. Just sayin

People don't seem to understand the NFL is a whole different and MORE DIFFICULT BEAST. The HCs have to play with the hand given by the GM for the most part. They don't assemble the roster like you can in college. If Fisher could put together top 10 recruiting classes (big if) and have a staff full of great X and O guys (Muschamp/Chaney) that COULD DEVELOP THEM VERY WELL, he would lead UT to the SEC Championship game on a regular basis (like every 3-4 years).

With Tony Dungy's team.

We wouldn't be Pruitt bad, but Jeff is way too conservative to get us where we want to go.

In my opinion, he would be the kind of guy that wouldn't be too arrogant to let a great OC call all or 90% of the shots on the O side of the ball. He is past the time of being a younger arrogant type. You give him top 10-15 recruiting classes every year and an ELITE OC and he puts UT in the SEC Championship game REGULARLY!

Other than Noll and sort of Stallings, everyone of those coaches were primarily college coaches and had success in college before they went to the NFL. Saban and Spurrier had won national championships, Erickson had won 2, and John McKay had won 4. Stallings spent the majority of his time as an NFL assistant but even he was the HC at TAMU before he went to the NFL.

Basically none of those situations are comparable to Fisher coming here at this point in his career.

My point is addressing the dumb idea that Fisher is a bad coach because he is only a little above .500 there. The NFL chewed up and spat out multiple college legends and one of it's all time great coaches isn't much above .500 himself. It's a different animal and if you coach 15 or 20 years your record will regress towards .500 because the league is designed that way. The few coaches who have in the salary cap era had a much above. 500 winning percentage long term have generational, all time great level quarterbacks. Payton with Brees, Belichick with Brady, Reid with McNabb/Mahomes. When McNair was at his peak Fisher was going 13-3. Otherwise he just didn't have a great QB.

If Fisher were willing to take on this crapshow we'd be extremely lucky. Would it work? No idea, but he isn't remotely a bad coach and has a lot of ties to that mid-state talent boom because some of those kids are the kids of his former players.

Fisher won a National Championship in college, played on a super bowl championship team, and coached a NFL team to a super bowl. Led Miles record last year was 0-9.
Fisher won as a player in 1978.
Fisher won as a player in 1985.
Fisher went to the Super Bowl in 1999.

It's 2021. Perhaps we should look at coaches with success in this century? Just a thought.

I think what Fisher would bring is stability. I also think he would get more respect from players who want to have a chance at the NFL. Right now
we have nothing going for us. If he could get a great staff who know what could happen.

We can go back and forth all day but comparing coaching a team in the NFL where they are adults paid and picked for you to a college coach where you have kids you have to build, coach, and recruit is kinda crazy.

I have no idea how fisher would do in college but he’d be better than what we have. We all want a homerun hire but we know the chances of that are slim so if it comes down to it I’d be fine with just having an adult as a coach who can at least give us some stability and head in the right direction

We can go back and forth all day but comparing coaching a team in the NFL where they are adults paid and picked for you to a college coach where you have kids you have to build, coach, and recruit is kinda crazy.

I have no idea how fisher would do in college but he’d be better than what we have. We all want a homerun hire but we know the chances of that are slim so if it comes down to it I’d be fine with just having an adult as a coach who can at least give us some stability and head in the right direction

By all means please offer the evidence that says he would be better than Pruitt.

Who has won a NC as a HC? Who has beaten Saban? Who has recruited at an elite level in CFB? Also, who currently has a job as an active head coach?

Funny how you want to avoid answering these simple questions.

Please, hire a college coach who can win, develop talent and compete at a high level. NFL and college are completely different. Freeze is the man, hire him and let's go. If not, get ready to be bottom dwellers forever

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain

VN Store

Back