Jeff Fisher comments on interest in the UT job

So maybe we just hire you, seeing you k or so much. Not sure how the admin has over looked your amazing coaching abilities and eye for talent. I will take the word of former NFL players over your ridiculous claims.
Boy, you really told me didn’t you, smh...

Herm Edwards has done a pretty good job of making ASU competitive again and he was a historic failure in the NFL. Except for his press conferences that is...legend.

That's what I was thinking. He would be a great leader of young men and he could help teach and be a c.o like Herm Edwards he would let his assistants do there job. I also believe he has worked with Chaney.
Herm Edwards wins about 7 games a year, that good enough for you?

Herm Edwards has done a pretty good job of making ASU competitive again and he was a historic failure in the NFL. Except for his press conferences that is...legend.

He wasn't a failure in the NFL; much less a "historic" one. He went to the playoffs 4 out of 8 seasons. His record is mostly weighted down by 2 really bad Kansas City teams that didn't have a ton of talent on them. I wouldn't say he was a huge success either, but not a failure. More like average. Which probably describes Jeff Fisher, as well.

Why? Who has the better record as a college coach? Who has put guys in the NFL? Which one has won a NC? Which one has beaten Saban?

Fisher or Miles?
Yeah buddy, his 2020 recruiting class would have put Tennessee at 14th in the SEC. Nobody would touch him for 2 years after LSU fired him

This is roughly the equivalent of being thrown a lifeline in the middle of January in the open North Atlantic after your ship has sunk. Jeff was fired because he stopped winning big in the NFL. Nicky never started winning big in the NFL. Let that soak in.
Jeff Fisher wasn’t fired at Tennessee. He actually left on his own accord and went to the Rams.
Then his future franchise QB Bradford suffered back to back season ending ACL tears. Then he got hit with having to pack up a football team a second time and move across country. He built the Rams roster to what it is now. He saw how special Goff was and drafted him. He built the Rams today into what they are. McVay is offensive minded and has them playing great. One could argue that Fisher was an OC away.
I lived in LA when USC hired Pete Carroll. USC fans said the same exact things about that hire. He built an amazing college staff around him. Kiffin, Sarkisian, Orgeron, Norm Chow, Tim Davis, Nick Holt, Ken Norton Jr, to name a few.
Not saying Fisher would be Pete Carroll in college...just saying the NFL experience as a CEO was transitioned great because he knew how to build a team and staff.

He had a losing record all 5 years with the Rams and he was not an offensive minded coach-just perfect for us.

What does a career NFL coach know about recruiting and developing kids? I'm sorry but no, no, and no. Not just because he had an average record. If someone said that Bill Belichick wanted to coach UT, I'd still say NO!

It's a totally different job. Its like comparing a CFO to an Astronaut.

Nope, nope, nope. Tired of Defensive guys, especially ones that were mediocre at best.
This 1000%! People need to wake up and realize this league has changed. You better have an offense that averages 40 plus in this league! That's NOT what Fisher is about.

What does a career NFL coach know about recruiting and developing kids? I'm sorry but no, no, and no. Not just because he had an average record. If someone said that Bill Belichick wanted to coach UT, I'd still say NO!

It's a totally different job. Its like comparing a CFO to an Astronaut.
O’Brian was able to do it at Penn State and stabilized the program. No reason why Fisher can’t do it here.

O’Brian was able to do it at Penn State and stabilized the program. No reason why Fisher can’t do it here.
O’Brien had been an assistant in college for YEARS, Fisher has NEVER coached at any level in CFB. Please stop with this noise.

Older defensive minded coach. Check.

Barely above .500 in the NFL. Check.

Never coached a down in college football as a HC. Check.

Terrible post season record as a HC. Check.

Never recruited. Check.

Sounds like the absolute perfect fit for good ol Phil.
Went to the Super Bowl. Check

Reactions: Vollifer1949
Jeff Fisher wasn’t fired at Tennessee. He actually left on his own accord and went to the Rams.
Then his future franchise QB Bradford suffered back to back season ending ACL tears. Then he got hit with having to pack up a football team a second time and move across country. He built the Rams roster to what it is now. He saw how special Goff was and drafted him. He built the Rams today into what they are. McVay is offensive minded and has them playing great. One could argue that Fisher was an OC away.
I lived in LA when USC hired Pete Carroll. USC fans said the same exact things about that hire. He built an amazing college staff around him. Kiffin, Sarkisian, Orgeron, Norm Chow, Tim Davis, Nick Holt, Ken Norton Jr, to name a few.
Not saying Fisher would be Pete Carroll in college...just saying the NFL experience as a CEO was transitioned great because he knew how to build a team and staff.
Best I can ascertain, the GM buys the groceries, the HC just cooks. In other words, Fisher didn’t build anything.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
say what you want.. but I like the fact that we have both Freeze and Fisher INTERESTED in the TN job before there is ever any talk of money, etc. Rumor has it Kiffin wants to come back too

Reactions: Betzman
say what you want.. but I like the fact that we have both Freeze and Fisher INTERESTED in the TN job before there is ever any talk of money, etc. Rumor has it Kiffin wants to come back too
Kiffin has a new buyout at Ole Miss. Not going to happen.

People are arguing about whether we need an offensive minded head coach or a defensive minded head coach and the fact is we don't need either one. We need a coach that isn't tied to either side. Saban is a good example. He has a history of being a defensive coach but as soon as he saw the game moving towards high powered offense, he acted like a great CEO and adapted to the change. Even though his history was defense he was smart enough to know his future was tied to high powered offense. A head coach doesn't have to be a guru on either side of the ball, he simply needs to be able to understand what he needs to be successful and hire the right people to make it happen. I'm not saying Fisher is the right guy for the job but having a history as a defensive guy doesn't mean he doesn't understand what he needs to be successful in today's game. We need a CEO that can put together a great staff and let them do their jobs.

Best I can ascertain, the GM buys the groceries, the HC just cooks. In other words, Fisher didn’t build anything.
So the GM tells the head coach who he is hiring as players. The head coach does not go and evaluate, interview, pick his roster needs while the GM negotiates the final contract terms.NFL draft days with the HC and staff in war rooms is just for show...the GM should be the only one in the room. Got it.

Fisher would restore some order to what is going on here.....His name is associated with the NFL....If he will run a modern offense, one that does not believe the run is everything, but another tool to a strong offense, then he may be the guy...

None of us know what the hell is going to happen, but this mad house has got to stop...
it-s-a-madhouse-a-madhouse.jpg

When was Saban’s last playoff win and Super Bowl appearance? He came from the pros.

How many National Championships had he won before the NFL? How many years had he coached in college before the NFL.

Why are you comparing a guy who had the highest success in college and decided to dip his toe in the NFL with a guy who is a past his prime NFL only guy who hasn't coached anything in 5 years?

Last edited:
Fisher would restore some order to what is going on here.....His name is associated with the NFL....If he will run a modern offense, one that does not believe the run is everything, but another tool to a strong offense, then he may be the guy...

None of us know what the hell is going to happen, but this mad house has got to stop...
it-s-a-madhouse-a-madhouse.jpg

Yeah.....and so is Matt Patricia's. Fisher hasn't been relevant in the NFL in over a decade. And you expect him to run a modern offense? BHAHAHAHAAHAHA have you met Jeff Fisher?

Tough to compare NFL records to college. On the NFL their goal is make each team even. The last place team gets their choice of the best player available to fill their perceived needs. Saban gets the best players available every year to fill their needed positions. The super bowl champions will get the 32nd and 64th best players available. That’s why Saban didn’t cut it in the NFL. His greatest attribute is recruiting. Give him the best players and he’ll win. Whether Fisher can excell at recruiting remains to be seen. But if you compare the two’s knowledge of football I would speculate Fisher is every bit as good as Saban..

VN Store

Back