Who will be the qb this year?

Depends on what statistics are important to you. He was terrible in the red zone. Outside the top 100 QB's nationally in RZ passing. The O has never scored points effectively or moved the ball consistently with him. He has not led UT to more than 30 offensive points in a game vs an FBS opponent in his career.

For perspective, UT averaged 366 points per season in the 10 years prior to JG becoming the starter... and that's not good compared to UT's O's in the 90's. In the 3 years in which he has competed for the job and started... UT has scored 275 points per season. You cannot lay it all at his feet but you cannot ignore the HUGE drop off between Dobbs and anything JG has done since. For that matter, UT scored as many points in 4 games behind Dormady as they did in 7 behind JG.
What does JG vs other players on the roster have to do with Dobbs or Dormady? What kind of argument is that? I clearly said last year.

JG had a significantly higher completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, more touchdowns, significantly higher rating. He's not competing against Dobbs or Dormady. He's competing against two qbs that completed less than 50% of their passes, and one that threw 2 interceptions in the endzone.

All you never JGers are so weird, I said an objective fact about him vs his competition, and you bring up Dobbs and redzone efficiency (like the other two were great). I didn't say he was some high level player or anything like that, just that he's going to start and his performance will determine how much he plays going forward.

What does JG vs other players on the roster have to do with Dobbs or Dormady? What kind of argument is that? I clearly said last year.
That he has been historically INEFFECTIVE in leading the offense. The standard no matter how convenient it might be to your attempts to evade... is NOT BM or Shrout. It is guys who have played the position previously at UT.

JG has not been anywhere CLOSE to Dobbs, Bray, Ainge, Clausen, Shaeffer, or even Crompton in his Sr year. You can make arguments in comparison to guys like Dormady or completely inexperienced guys... but those aren't standard unless you are OK with terrible QB play.

JG had a significantly higher completion percentage, higher yards per attempt, more touchdowns, significantly higher rating. He's not competing against Dobbs or Dormady. He's competing against two qbs that completed less than 50% of their passes, and one that threw 2 interceptions in the endzone.
He's competed against two Fr... one a true Fr... and it WAS a competition when it should NOT have been for a 4th year QB.

All you never JGers are so weird, I said an objective fact about him vs his competition, and you bring up Dobbs and redzone efficiency (like the other two were great). I didn't say he was some high level player or anything like that, just that he's going to start and his performance will determine how much he plays going forward.
If by "weird" you mean reasonable... and looking at things in perspective then yes. You want to declare him "the best" by comparing him with guys who had no business playing anything more than mop up at their stage of development. The reason they DID play... is because JG was not an effective QB... nor has he been... nor does he look "good" even compared to a very flawed/mediocre QB like Dormady. Dormady could not solidify a claim to the starting job at Cent Michigan... yet he beat JG out head to head in spite of Jones' determination to make JG the starter.

I'm not a "never JGer". Though that tends to be the accusation thrown at those of us who are objectively critical of what he's done. I'm a "UT needs a positive difference maker at the QB position...er". He has not been that with acceptable consistency over his career. He does not process information quickly and it shows up in his play.

Oh yea the great GT and FCS teams that QD had decent stats against. Let's ignore JG was better and played the tough part of the schedule.
That was even MORE reason for him to learn to read quickly and throw the ball away. But even if you are "right" about difficulty... his performance was NOT better. It was worse. The O simply did not move with him leading it.

Stop lying about the top 100 redzone qbs. Those guys with 10 passes do not count. They don't qualify for statistical rankings due to lack of attempts.

Lmao
Not lying... you just cannot handle the truth. No one ahead of JG had less than 25 attempts inside the RZ. It really, really doesn't help your argument that JG was NOT better than the back up at Coastal Carolina... "statistically". You know... statistics are all that matter... no need for context.

And since we are playing by your rule that the only thing that matters is the raw stats... Dormady's RZ passer rating was 60 points higher than JG's. He was ranked 38th. Michael Penix from IU was 44th on that list. In fact, if you look at that list anyone who was worth a dime is above JG... and a lot of guys who aren't.

That he has been historically INEFFECTIVE in leading the offense. The standard no matter how convenient it might be to your attempts to evade... is NOT BM or Shrout. It is guys who have played the position previously at UT.

JG has not been anywhere CLOSE to Dobbs, Bray, Ainge, Clausen, Shaeffer, or even Crompton in his Sr year. You can make arguments in comparison to guys like Dormady or completely inexperienced guys... but those aren't standard unless you are OK with terrible QB play.

He's competed against two Fr... one a true Fr... and it WAS a competition when it should NOT have been for a 4th year QB.

If by "weird" you mean reasonable... and looking at things in perspective then yes. You want to declare him "the best" by comparing him with guys who had no business playing anything more than mop up at their stage of development. The reason they DID play... is because JG was not an effective QB... nor has he been... nor does he look "good" even compared to a very flawed/mediocre QB like Dormady. Dormady could not solidify a claim to the starting job at Cent Michigan... yet he beat JG out head to head in spite of Jones' determination to make JG the starter.

I'm not a "never JGer". Though that tends to be the accusation thrown at those of us who are objectively critical of what he's done. I'm a "UT needs a positive difference maker at the QB position...er". He has not been that with acceptable consistency over his career. He does not process information quickly and it shows up in his play.
Casey Clausen Jr year
194/310 62.6% 2297 yds 7.4 ypa 11tds 7ints 132 qb rating.

JG Jr year
152/257 59.1% 2158 yds 8.4 ypa 16tds 8 ints 144 qb rating

Looks like you can compare them to me. JG had a better Jr year

You can't compare talent around as CC had a team full of NFL players.

Those aren’t excuses, that’s what happened. 2 of those inerceptions are receivers fault.
The other two I’m talking about was Chaney calling a pass play just two plays later after becoming concussed vs MSU and Palmer stumbling on a 9 route vs UGA. My only point was not all of his ints were a result of bad qb play. Imo only 1 was. But the stats would lead you to believe otherwise. These things just happen.

Reactions: RockyTop140
The other two I’m talking about was Chaney calling a pass play just two plays later after becoming concussed vs MSU and Palmer stumbling on a 9 route vs UGA. My only point was not all of his ints were a result of bad qb play. Imo only 1 was. But the stats would lead you to believe otherwise. These things just happen.
Other 4 were results of conspiracy. It’s an unreported crime. 😔

Yall better stop over looking JT Shrout! They trying to give you guys hints in articles. The dude is NICE!
Who is over looking JTS this year? If he’s learned to control his arm, gotten better at decision making and learned the offense he’s a bigger threat than HB even if we’d had a spring.

Other 4 were results of conspiracy. It’s an unreported crime. 😔
If you can’t see my point you simply just refuse to see my point. Not that’s it’s not legitimately there. The stats say he threw 5 ints. Looks bad, I know. However when all things are considered 4 of those were out of his control and NOT a result of bad play. We’re singing a different tune if the extenuating circumstances never took place and he’d only thrown 1 int. We all seen two of those ints hit the receiver. That’s undeniable. You would’ve had to be at the game to see Palmer stumble without coaches tape. And you can’t deny that Chaney probably should’ve called a run and preserved the points but hind sight is 20/20. He’s human and it’s easy to see why he thought Maurer was fine.

Casey Clausen Jr year
194/310 62.6% 2297 yds 7.4 ypa 11tds 7ints 132 qb rating.

JG Jr year
152/257 59.1% 2158 yds 8.4 ypa 16tds 8 ints 144 qb rating

Looks like you can compare them to me. JG had a better Jr year

You can't compare talent around as CC had a team full of NFL players.
Most of those games were coming off the bench. Weird how he plays better as the backup.

If you can’t see my point you simply just refuse to see my point. Not that’s it’s not legitimately there. The stats say he threw 5 ints. Looks bad, I know. However when all things are considered 4 of those were out of his control and NOT a result of bad play. We’re singing a different tune if the extenuating circumstances never took place and he’d only thrown 1 int. We all seen two of those ints hit the receiver. That’s undeniable. You would’ve had to be at the game to see Palmer stumble without coaches tape. And you can’t deny that Chaney probably should’ve called a run and preserved the points but hind sight is 20/20. He’s human and it’s easy to see why he thought Maurer was fine.
I’ve never seen a QB so relatively flawless as you paint Maurer...NEVER. You’d be more credible if you’d admit to him being less than superhuman. It’s always coaching and other WR’s. You need to see it from an actual fan of the program’s perspective. Our greatest QB’s ALL had flawed starts before it got way better. “Shoulda” and “If only” are for weak apologists.

I’ve never seen a QB so relatively flawless as you paint Maurer...NEVER. You’d be more credible if you’d admit to him being less than superhuman. It’s always coaching and other WR’s. You need to see it from an actual fan of the program’s perspective. Our greatest QB’s ALL had flawed starts before it got way better. “Shoulda” and “If only” are for weak apologists.
You would see me criticize him if that were the subject matter but it’s not. I can tell you where he struggles and his weaknesses as well but I’ve never been asked. The subject matter is 2 tds 5 ints in limited time of 4 starts. Maybe you’re right and I can’t see it from a fans perspective because the stats are being used against him in terms of overall talent and that’s simply not true. I actually evaluate qbs performances so it comes naturally to me to Not just look at the stats. Stats mean nothing to me next to film and no matter who it is, Maurer or otherwise, I won’t result to “stats” to tell me who performed better because there are way too many other variables involved.

Tell me which of those QBs you mentioned are on this roster? None? What difference does it make. I'm not talking about him vs other QBs from the past. I can't make that more clear. He is competing against Shrout, Maurer, and Bailey. You aren't being objective, as you seemingly failing to acknowledge the competition at hand. He played better then either one of those two did last year, that's just a fact no matter how many random stats you are going to try to use to spin some fairy-tale to fit your narrative. They had their chances, and didn't perform well. Heck even in JG's RS Freshman year he was better than either of them were last year. 62% completion, 7.2 yards per attempt, 4TD, 2 int, 128 rating. I'm not arguing that is "good" as you like to say, but that's pretty clearly better than either one of them.

Let's break down what I claimed. JG is going to be the starter to begin the year - true from all indications from practice. JG will be the QB as long as he's playing well - true, just like last year. What the heck do Dobbs, Crompton, etc have to do with that? If JG plays poorly, then he will lose out on his job again. I didn't even imply he was good, you are just assuming that for no reason, but the reality is he's our starter at this moment in time. You are saying I'm excusing his ineffectiveness or whatever, but I've literally never mentioned that. You keep making random arguments about things that no one has even mentioned, and bringing up QBs that are irrelevant to the conversation.

If want a critical post here you go.

Maurer is not a good “screen” qb but he’s especially bad at WR screens to the flat. The reason is he tends to rush his upper body on WR screens especially to his right where he has to flip his hips and throw quickly. WR screens to his left are better only because his hips are already in line with the WR.

He’s not good when a defense gets immediate pressure from the middle because it takes away his space to step up and find a lane to throw or run. The fastest way to get him rattled is consistent middle pressure from A or B gap.

You would see me criticize him if that were the subject matter but it’s not. I can tell you where he struggles and his weaknesses as well but I’ve never been asked. The subject matter is 2 tds 5 ints in limited time of 4 starts. Maybe you’re right and I can’t see it from a fans perspective because the stats are being used against him in terms of overall talent and that’s simply not true. I actually evaluate qbs performances so it comes naturally to me to Not just look at the stats. Stats mean nothing to me next to film and no matter who it is, Maurer or otherwise, I won’t result to “stats” to tell me who performed better because there are way too many other variables involved.
Maybe it’s not your subject matter but it is the subject matter.

VN Store

Back