The Ultimate Cord Cutting Guide (merged)

Thanks for the reply! I hardly ever watch TV. I also have two 13-year olds and a better half that hardly watches TV. Just want to see college football. Don't give a damn about NFL.
The orange package and add on sports package give you a lot of options. They don't have big ten network currently. But they are supposed to get it back before this football season from what I understand.

Reactions: Offset Eye
I canceled HBO. Just canceled YouTube TV. All I wanna do is watch College Football. Everything else is filled by YouTube (regular) and Prime Video. I'm done with MLB, NASCAR, NBA, NFL.
Just curious, why are you done with everything except CFB?

Good God... Is Sling any good? I had Sling for a few weeks in 2016 and it had issues. I just need something with SEC Network. Whatever the cheapest option is with SECN, because I can then just use the ESPN app..

That's us and why I was complaining about the media corporations. Gotta have the - one step down from elite - package just to cover a few CFB games.

Every few months, one of the majors is threatening to pull programming if they don't get more money. Folks automatically side with them because they don't want their channels disappearing, so they win.
Then...

Reactions: Offset Eye
Maybe not the best fit in this this thread but I couldn't find a better one.

For years I used Apple Airport Express or Apple TV to stream music to music to existing stereo systems. Over the years the Airport Express's have lost support from Apple and the new Apple TV requires optic out so I've used some cheap DACs to switch optic to RCA.

I tried a cheap (Eskin?) blue tooth receiver but the sound quality was crap.

Finally broke down and bought the AudioEngine B1 - bluetooth receiver (with built in DAC).

Sound quality is great. It's not cheap but it sure makes life easy to stream from any of my devices holding all my music to my legacy stereo systems.

Recommended.

B1 Bluetooth Music Receiver — Audioengine

X2. Bluetooth done right=Audioengine B1.

X2. Bluetooth done right=Audioengine B1.
Used to use FM disc changer back in day. Talk about degredation.

I'm sure you get what you put into it sound quality wise with BT. I've never experienced a true 'unfiltered live sound'. Public Station I worked at used to have live studio sessions. DAT tape & full digital, not reproduced sound quality equip like what's in the market today. Even Klipsch is junk comparably.

Not sure there's anything like this. What ive wanted to do is upload all my music to cloud & have it available on demand. Through a home wifi or mesh system have 'connected' speakers, IoT devices with Boston level BT or wireless capability. Ive never been interested in a theater type atmosphere. But, would like to have an ecosystem of 1 or 2 self amped speakers run through Ipad or console.

Forget pre-amp, amp, amd shelf type junk. Itd be even better id these speakers (all in 1) had a cool MCM look to them. Is that asking too much?

I know the tech is there speaker wise. Hell I know a Doc that had a networked digital library 20 years ago (prob sim to itunes match?) Granted it was all wired and about $30k. Knew an attorney that had the self amped speakers 30 years ago. Before Wifi.Would love to see it meshed.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Used to use FM disc changer back in day. Talk about degredation.

I'm sure you get what you put into it sound quality wise with BT. I've never experienced a true 'unfiltered live sound'. Public Station I worked at used to have live studio sessions. DAT tape & full digital, not reproduced sound quality equip like what's in the market today. Even Klipsch is junk comparably.

Not sure there's anything like this. What ive wanted to do is upload all my music to cloud & have it available on demand. Through a home wifi or mesh system have 'connected' speakers, IoT devices with Boston level BT or wireless capability. Ive never been interested in a theater type atmosphere. But, would like to have an ecosystem of 1 or 2 self amped speakers run through Ipad or console.

Forget pre-amp, amp, amd shelf type junk. Itd be even better id these speakers (all in 1) had a cool MCM look to them. Is that asking too much?

I know the tech is there speaker wise. Hell I know a Doc that had a networked digital library 20 years ago (prob sim to itunes match?) Granted it was all wired and about $30k. Knew an attorney that had the self amped speakers 30 years ago. Before Wifi.Would love to see it meshed.

It's doable. I had a pseudo set up like this. All my music (about 1000 CDs at the time) was on my Mac and I streamed it to 4 systems through out the house with Airport Express boxes. They all eventually died and Apple stopped supporting them. Was controllable from phone.

Now I'm using BT receivers on my legacy stereo's. Not whole house any more though. Still controllable.

What you are suggesting is definitely the way things are going. SONOS tries to get there but it would be nice to be able to more easily unbundle and mix and match from multiple companies just like the glory days of building out a home stereo.

Reactions: Jackcrevol
This summer Pluto TV will add the following series from CBS’s award-winning library, with additional shows to follow:

• Survivor
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation
  • The Amazing Race
  • Beverly Hills 90210
  • America’s Next Top Model
  • CSI: NY and CSI: Miami
  • Everybody Hates Chris
  • Jag
  • Melrose Place
  • MacGyver
  • Sister Sister
  • Scorpion
  • Numbers
  • Moesha
In addition, Pluto TV will debut select episodes from Seasons 1-10 of the revered Comedy Central hit South Park.

Cutting YTTV after this month, just hate the 30% increase for pretty poor channels. Philo will work for us and for sports I will use MyIPTV

Cutting YTTV after this month, just hate the 30% increase for pretty poor channels. Philo will work for us and for sports I will use MyIPTV
Buddy of mine uses jailbroken Firestick.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Im on work's streaming platform - not for me.

VN Store

Back