SEC Commissioner concerned about football being played this year : CBS

The next time there is a consensus among the experts will be the first. What we DO know is that young & healthy people have a greater chance of being struck by lightning twice than dying from Covid19.
Good luck with that piece of data being used by the powers that be in determining whether they play football or not. The decision goes FAR deeper than that piece of trivia.

Yes to the first three. Haven’t had the chance to take a vacation since this started. A mountain cabin is starting to look pretty good.
I also answer yeas to the first three. I live in a log home close to the mountains and I have not taken a vacation this year and I doubt I will.

I'll keep posting when someone mentions hospitals, because I've worked in health care for more than 20 years. Our hospital system in SC is dealing with a dramatic COVID-19 surge. Our ICUs are at 100 percent capacity. Less than four weeks ago, we had three patients hospitalized for COVID-19. Today, we have 48. We have called the National Guard for clinical staffing help to respond to the demand. Doctors whom I deeply respect say they've never seen anything like this in their career. I struggle to understand why people don't believe them.
That's honestly one of my biggest worries right now...I live in the state of Florida, it's fairly obvious to the entire free world how our state level "leadership" has handled this situation...I fear that if I contract this virus, I potentially would need extensive care, (which would also cause a host of other issues like a domino effect.) and there might literally be a scenario where I'm told "sorry, sir, we're all full"...I've been blessed to be able to work from home but I'm not gonna lie, that stuff still keeps me up some nights.

Reactions: ohhbother
80 percent of people have no symptoms with this virus or even get sick from it. Protect the elderly and vulnerable and isolate them but we can’t live in a bunker and hide from this virus for the next five years. Let’s play some football this fall!!!

That's honestly one of my biggest worries right now...I live in the state of Florida, it's fairly obvious to the entire free world how our state level "leadership" has handled this situation...I fear that if I contract this virus, I potentially would need extensive care, (which would also cause a host of other issues like a domino effect.) and there might literally be a scenario where I'm told "sorry, sir, we're all full"...I've been blessed to be able to work from home but I'm not gonna lie, that stuff still keeps me up some nights.

As a Florida native. I empathize with your concerns.

Are you working currently?
Have you been to a store?
Have you worn a mask every time?
Have you been on vacation?
Don't lie

No, I have been furloughed due to COVID. Thanks to Dave Ramsey’s advice I had a 6 month emergency fund. When I saw this affecting China in January I went into super saving mode for the next 4ish months to add to my emergency fund.

Yes, I go grocery shopping about once every 2 weeks.

Yes, I had a box of surgical masks from when I got sick last fall. I used those until my cloth one arrived from Etsy.

No, work can have me return from furlough at any point with less than a day’s notice. Would suck if I was in Gulf Shores and my boss calls me at 4:30 and tells me to be at my desk the next day.

third degree burns from a kitchen fire, they are testing you for Covid-19

No they do not. There is still not enough tests for that. You have to come in with some sort of COVID symptoms to be tested by default.

At least thats how its going at the hospital my wife works at. Which has tripled in COVID patients over the past week. Requiring opening a second COVID unit to accommodate the surge.

No they do not. There is still not enough tests for that. You have to come in with some sort of COVID symptoms to be tested by default.

At least thats how its going at the hospital my wife works at. Which has tripled in COVID patients over the past week. Requiring opening a second COVID unit to accommodate the surge.
I can't speak for hospital admissions, but if an employee gets it, employers here in ATX are asking all employees to get tested before they go back to work. Also plenty of people getting tested at the hospital as a precautionary measure. There was a NYT article recently about two friends in ATX who got tested before a trip to make sure they were safe and the absolutely ridiculous fees the insurance company charged (between 2.5k - 6.5k).

What I don't understand is apparently there are swab tests which some local doctors are saying are completely inaccurate and then there are... real tests? The ones that cost between 2.5 - 6k with insurance??? I can't wrap my head around the massive difference in price between testing. My housemate just got tested and it cost like 50 bucks.

Reactions: kcvols1

well then, it depends on where you are. Where I am if you walk into a medical facility with virtually anything, they test you. And we are at the point now where damn near anything you have is a symptom of COVID.

i know people who have seen a doctor for all kinds of things (confirming pregnancy, constipation, leg pain, back pain, etc) who were all tested for COVID

Reactions: cgrish and UTDB#1
I can't speak for hospital admissions, but if an employee gets it, employers here in ATX are asking all employees to get tested before they go back to work. Also plenty of people getting tested at the hospital as a precautionary measure. There was a NYT article recently about two friends in ATX who got tested before a trip to make sure they were safe and the absolutely ridiculous fees the insurance company charged (between 2.5k - 6.5k).

What I don't understand is apparently there are swab tests which some local doctors are saying are completely inaccurate and then there are... real tests? The ones that cost between 2.5 - 6k with insurance??? I can't wrap my head around the massive difference in price between testing. My housemate just got tested and it cost like 50 bucks.

Georgia DPH gives them for free at the County health department.

I have a friend who is fairly well connected at UGA. He told me that he has heard that football is definitely being pushed back to the spring. He flys with their bball team to away games so I feel pretty confident in his info. Don't shoot the messenger. I am just passing along info.

Opening up schools is not the scientific approach under the current conditions. However, it seems to be the political approach. All I can say is, I am really fortunate not to have been a teacher when I was working. At this time, and if schools are forced to reopen under the current conditions, teachers should be paid hazard pay at 100 % of their salary. It will be a death sentence for many teachers as well as, many parents who’s children bring the virus home to them.

CDC disagrees with you. Said schools need to reopen yesterday on their site.

Reactions: HalfullVol
I still think it overblown as hell but I raised the white flag months ago. I got a 6-week paid vacation and Nashville traffic hasn't been this light since I was a teenager (long ago). So, there has been something to counterbalance the PITA of masks, shortages, social distancing, etc. I was supposed to go out of the country with two college buddies next month, one of who is an allergist. I pulled out a couple of weeks ago, and my doctor friend gave me a lot of valid, science-based reasons why I should stick to the plan. Everything he said was correct, but the simple fact is that right now a lot of us are doing completely unnecessary, even somewhat irrational, actions just to make other people feel somewhat safer. I don't think anyone can deny that we'd all be better off if we'd isolated the old and sick when this started and everyone else kept up their regular routine. Hindsight 20/20 and all that.

Reactions: bullet20
CDC disagrees with you. Said schools need to reopen yesterday on their site.
Those were the "revised" guidelines after the White House reviewed the original CDC guidelines. In addition, the more dada collected, the guidelines are updated to include those new data.

100% hazard pay for teachers. What a dumb*** statement. Hazard pay for what, just going back to work. You do know they are plenty of people that didn't have the luxury of saying I'm just not working for the next 6 months and continue to get paid full salary.
I was under the impression that teachers sign a contract for one school year at a time. I'm not sure how any of them can get paid anything once the new school year starts, unless districts are going to just hand out contracts like candy at Halloween and stick the taxpayers with the bill.

I was under the impression that teachers sign a contract for one school year at a time. I'm not sure how any of them can get paid anything once the new school year starts, unless districts are going to just hand out contracts like candy at Halloween and stick the taxpayers with the bill.
The school district sticking the tax payers with the bill. In the history of government that has never happened.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

VN Store

Back