Rivals has us at 11th ranked class now.. [9th with the late addition]

Espn has us at 18, so really our 247 composite is being skewed a bit by the worst of all the recruiting services (247 composite is all anyone should really go on in my opinion).
Not if ESPN is in the composite. They have HB as the 249th recruit in the country. I will take the average of Rivals and 247.

No. That happened in 1996, and Tennessee finished second to UF in the SEC East, in the year where UF and FSU ended up playing a rematch for the national championship. The Gators were able to take the title after Ohio State rallied in the final minutes of the Rose Bowl to knock off Jake Plummer and Arizona State, who would have finished 12-0 if they had held on.

The Vols were in line for a Bowl Alliance bowl if they had finished 10-1, but had no chance at the natty even before they lost to Memphis. After losing that game, they had to settle for the Citrus Bowl.

The year UT had a chance to make it to the Rose Bowl was 2001, when they lost in the SECCG. If they had won, they would have gone to the Rose Bowl and been annihilated by Miami, just like Nebraska was.
Ok thanks

Espn has us at 18, so really our 247 composite is being skewed a bit by the worst of all the recruiting services (247 composite is all anyone should really go on in my opinion).

Why do you think 247 is the one to go off of? Maybe it's because I'm stubborn, but I've been following rivals since I was like 12. I've always thought they were pretty good. Now the only thing I do not like about rivals is the star bump when a player commits to a major program.

Second question (for anyone). I was looking at the 247 rankings. Assuming for a second they are the mot accurate, how in the world does Chimp get a top-15 class? Is it because he inexplicably got one five=star player to come? Recruiting rankings would make so much more sense if they abandoned the five-star designation and just had really high four stars. Anyway, how does Chimp pull in that class after such a disastrous season?

My point is we are 61 points away from bama and 15 away from Florida kinda hard to coach up less talent to try and beat a more talented team that constantly out recruits you....

Yet it happens all the time, just usually not with us. Some believe that and some other things are changing. Just because you might not doesn't mean its not.

I too feel like it would be easier talking to a wall than talking to some here.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Yes that matters considering what it takes to get there... Feel like I could have a better conversation talking to a wall

Wrong that is not what "matters"........ You must not be a long time Vol fan or have been a fan during the Butch years. We literally chased those "points" every class and look what it got us.......

I'd rather take a group of legit coaches who have been doing evaluations at Championship programs than someone who will chase 4/5 stars, sign them, and then figure out how to build a team and plug them in.......

Butch would have never signed a 6'4" 370 pounder offensive lineman that was a 3 star...... Unless we have someone on the hook, Miller should sign with us. There is a reason we were his first real big offer and put him on the radar.

Reactions: buckfama
Why do you think 247 is the one to go off of? Maybe it's because I'm stubborn, but I've been following rivals since I was like 12. I've always thought they were pretty good. Now the only thing I do not like about rivals is the star bump when a player commits to a major program.

Second question (for anyone). I was looking at the 247 rankings. Assuming for a second they are the mot accurate, how in the world does Chimp get a top-15 class? Is it because he inexplicably got one five=star player to come? Recruiting rankings would make so much more sense if they abandoned the five-star designation and just had really high four stars. Anyway, how does Chimp pull in that class after such a disastrous season?

The composite ranking combines ranking for all 3 major sites and is usually the one quoted by the media when speaking of ranking.

Reactions: 08Vol
I'm curious. Have any of these "talent evaluators" that work for these recruiting services ever been hired by a college football program? You know... to evaluate talent to bring into the program?

It's all subjective anyway to a program's and coaches needs. Maybe the 3 star is a better fit to what a coach wants and needs to play a position than the 4 star with a few more points above him?

I take the recruiting sites with a grain of salt. Yes, it gives us a decent generalization of a players skills. It does help in discovering some players that would go unnoticed because they play at small schools or weak divisions.

But ultimately its entertainment and a for profit business. It's about getting discussions like this going, getting us to visit websites, getting players to camps, and making a profit at the end of the day.

I'll take Pruitt's and his staffs evaluations over ANY of the writers and evaluators for any of the recruiting services.

I dont think Pruitt got everyone he wanted. But I do think he is pleased with who he did get. There is a "type" that you see all across the board in the players he recruits. They are big, fast, competitive, come from winning programs, and don't seem to have issues qualifying.

In order to be good at recruiting what your team needs, you have to brutally honest with yourself to know where your weak and what needs fixed. We have all read where recruits have said that Pruitt is honest with them on what they do good, but also quick to point out where they need work. I think Butch just recruited stars to get that high class ranking, regardless of what he needed to make the team better.

This is a good class from top to bottom. It filled needs, its will provide much needed depth, and I think most of these kids will stick around . The mass exodus of players transferring should be over for the most part.

And for those of you saying that our class is closer to Kentucky and USCe than Florida and Auburn, here is a screenshot of rivals and their point system. I see 3 tiers here in this screenshot. You have Bama. Ohio State, LSU, and Clemson with a clear separation from everyone else.

Then Georgia and TAMU in the second tier.

Then you have Florida. Auburn, UT, Oregon, Oklahoma, Michigan, etc.

No where do I see Kentucky or South Carolina. Maybe some of y'all just want something to whine about?

In the end it's all about player development anyway and I think this staff has proven that it can do that.
Screenshot_20191220-112514_Chrome.jpg

I think the Wyoming loss is hurting us worse.
Wyoming was really embarrassing, but ultimately kind of understandable. Fulmer had been fired like 4 days before that, and the season was already cooked anyway. Georgia St was a little different - that was a season opening game with a coach still looking to build a program and prove himself.

The most embarrassing and damaging loss, at least in my lifetime, was probably the 1996 Memphis game.

I thought this was interesting... credit @ionaVOL.

wins-png.247048

Which team has the Red Ass?

I only care if we landed the players the coaches wanted. Also, if Butch taught us anything it is that stars don't mean much. Get the right players for our system and develop them and we will be fine.

Last edited:
I only care if we landed the places the coaches wanted. Also, if Butch taught us anything it is that stars don't mean much. Get the right players for our system and develop them and we will be fine.
We may have learned that from watching the train wreck a.k.a. boy butch, but he never taught us anything, and as a football coach, the I believe the only thing he taught was the "champion of life song"...
But like and agree with your post!

Reactions: sona
There’s a lot of subjectivity in all the player rankings. I also think the rankings of the top teams get skewed up some. All we have to do is be close and with good coaching we will be competitive. We have good coaches. They have proven they can take a player and make him better over time. We haven’t had that for a long time. We’re in the top 10 and that’s close enough. If we stack a few of those classes together we can compete with anybody. Add in the unpredictability of turnovers, injuries, weather affecting outcomes in individual games. We are going to be in every game next year. Even the four everyone is expecting us to lose. I think we will knock off at least one of those. We are on the way back.

Yet it happens all the time, just usually not with us. Some believe that and some other things are changing. Just because you might not doesn't mean its not.

I too feel like it would be easier talking to a wall than talking to some here.
So a less talented team constantly beats a more talented team every year? If like to see that and I won't hold my breath either. As a matter of fact please show how vandy constantly beats Georgia every year. Say last 10 years.

So a less talented team constantly beats a more talented team every year? If like to see that and I won't hold my breath either. As a matter of fact please show how vandy constantly beats Georgia every year. Say last 10 years.

ESPN should probably remove the upset alert from their ticker since it never happens.... Vandy may not have beaten Georgia this year but South Carolina sure did. I'd guess the vast majority of people on this site believe that Georgia was not only more talented but VASTLY more talented. Probably not the same gap as Georgia State compared to us.... wait... that's another example.... In fact, I believe Saban has only gone undefeated once since he's been at Alabama. So, almost every year he loses is to a less talented team.

There are upsets every single week in college football.

" kinda hard to coach up less talent to try and beat a more talented team that constantly out recruits you...."

That's what you said ^^^^^ I said "and yet it happens all the time, just usually not with us"

GaSt constantly out recruit us?
BYU?
Vandy?
Missouri?
South Carolina?

South Carolina Constantly out recruit GA?
Auburn constantly out recruit Bama?
LSU constantly out recruit Bama?
Purdue constantly out recruit OSU?

It happens all the time, just usually not with us. Maybe that's changing....never mind. I'll go talk to the wall.

That is a mystery. Vote of confidence. He’d have been fired if not for the ridiculous buyout.

Reactions: CrybabyVol
Funny, because yesterday someone said 247 had us at 15 and someone else said Rivals had us at 21 and they are the main one and only one we should pay attention to.

It never fails. I'd bet money if Rivals had us at 17 you would be telling us about Rivals instead of 247. Lol.

Rivals use to be the best. Then the owners sold it to Yahoo. Yahoo changed it to make more money so they emphasized their own camps that players had to pay to attend. If you don’t attend their camps then they won’t rate you as high. Meanwhile the guys that started Rivals and made it great started up 247

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Rivals use to be the best. Then the owners sold it to Yahoo. Yahoo changed it to make more money so they emphasized their own camps that players had to pay to attend. If you don’t attend their camps then they won’t rate you as high. Meanwhile the guys that started Rivals and made it great started up 247

Yea, I don't keep up with it all that much. I read what's being said here and form my own opinion.

My point with that post above was the guys that are more pessimistic and negative about everything will pay more attention to the one that has us ranked higher (worse). And of course vice versa, the optimistic will quote the one that has us ranked lower.

It happens with everything, was just pointing it out. That dude I quoted is probably telling his buddies today that 247 is the one we should be paying attention to now. Lulz.

Reactions: 08Vol

VN Store

Back