Rivals has us at 11th ranked class now.. [9th with the late addition]

7th in a completely subjective topic?

Give it a break. Good coaches do their own talent eval and also know what holes need to be filled. This staff nailed it on the second issue. Time will tell on the first. There is plenty to crow about here.
That's another good point. I think Pruitt has proven to have a good eye for talent thus far. Only time will tell, but it's hard to imagine landing a class much better than this one with the results we've produced on the field in recent years.

Where are we ranked as far as the conference? While top 10 is great, if we are 6th in SEC that’s still not going to put us at the next level. Rome wasn’t built in a day I know

Reactions: I40flyer and 08Vol
That's another good point. I think Pruitt has proven to have a good eye for talent thus far. Only time will tell, but it's hard to imagine landing a class much better than this one with the results we've produced on the field in recent years.

I agree. He has a template he is building to. This defense will be big, deep, and talented.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
70WD.gif

Thanks. I didn't know how to do that. :)

Reactions: clt_tiger
We have done well filling the positions of need Recruiting rankings are just an estimate. I feel that some of the 3 star lineman signed today are excellent commitments and may prove long term be of more value. Plus we are not done yet. Miller and Williamson may not be in this class and if we add Washington and a couple more 4 stars and get in the top 10 are you going to complain then? You certainly are a downer.

I'm not complaining now, it's better that what I thought it would be already. I'm just not celebrating still being behind 3 teams we have to beat every season.

Reactions: I40flyer and 08Vol
National Signing Day: Nebraska, Tennessee top winners, Florida leads losers in early signing period 2019

Tennessee: Jeremy Pruitt is quickly developing a reputation for saving some good news for signing day. On Wednesday, it was running back/linebacker Len'Neth Whitehead kicking the day off with a commitment, followed by a flip of speedy quarterback Jimmy Holliday, who went to Tennessee from TCU. Then it was massive defensive tackle Reginald Perry and four-star defensive end Tyler Baron pledging. A win for four-star Morven Joseph over Florida and Florida State was the finishing touch. Tennessee got bigger and better on Wednesday.

Outside of Tennessee Sunshine pumper fans most did not see that Georgia State loss as meaningless. Nobody knows what lingering impact it had. We don't know who we've lost in recruiting or could have had. Some things are intangible. There's nothing wrong with being happy with winning. What I have a problem with his people that ignore the losing.

Wrong! The majority of this board took the GSU loss and turned it into a guarantee on how the season would end and promised we'd be 2-10 / 3-9 and the Fulmer Coup was underway albeit early.

The minority position on this board was definitely "Wait and see what happens" before casting judgement on our final 12 game record based on the 0-2 start........

And no one ignored losing. They just didn't drink the kool aid that an 0-2 start = 2-10 final record. The problem was with those exact people. Not the minority that knew that a loss to GSU didn't mean or guarantee a loss to any other team on the schedule. We took it one week at a time. The majority did not have that view.

But but we lost to GA St. how is this possible?
Sometimes it takes a loss like GA ST. to look deep inside and decide if you’re going to get on board as a team and follow the person who is tasked to lead or get out of the program and go somewhere else. That lost shook up the players who want to be here and got rid of the ones who didn’t. Hats off to the coaching staff and support people who make this a great team to be on. You can’t have 85 plans on a football team..you have one plan everyone needs to follow to be successful. Butch Jones created so much hate between the coaches and players I’m surprised CJP got this team together a quick as he did. I was fooled by Jones and critical of Coach Pruitt after the first two loses. Good things are coming..GBO!

Be careful. The sunshine Pumpers will come out an attack. Anybody who expects Excellence gets shot down on this site. I'm not saying Pruitt is or is not the guy. The recruiting has to get better though. You're not ever going to win the east if you're finishing seventh or eighth or below in recruiting in the conference. And that should be our goal.
There is very little room in the top 15, with the exception of Clemson, LSU, and UGA (who have a lot of room left and already have 3 5 star players). Florida has 1 more recruit than us that is the difference in the rankings. If you are in the Top 15, you’ve had a better than average day. Coming off the type of losing that we’ve had since Derek Dooley signed on the dotted line, it’s a testament to the staff and the program that Tennessee can still impress on the trail the way it has, and unlike some of those ahead of us who are full, we still have room to maneuver and climb higher by February.

I'm not complaining now, it's better that what I thought it would be already. I'm just not celebrating still being behind 3 teams we have to beat every season.
Coaching also factors in how we will play long term against our biggest rivals. Plus if a player like Bailey becomes the next Joe Burrows then it negates any recruiting variance those same rivals may have over us. If recruiting ranks are the final determiner then Georgia and Alabama would be playing for the N.C. this year. We are in excellent shape recruiting wise.

Where are we ranked as far as the conference? While top 10 is great, if we are 6th in SEC that’s still not going to put us at the next level. Rome wasn’t built in a day I know
I disagree.

We're a notch behind Florida and Georiga in recruiting, but not so far behind that we won't have a chance to win on the field. In my opinion, that's the best position we can realistically hope to be in. The only school ranked ahead of us that maybe we should be able to consistently out-recruit is Auburn.

It's one of those losses that's going to stick around for a while. That's the price of losing to a team like that.

Yes it was bad. Yes we won't ever forget it And YES after Today; we are OK! I was as bad as anyone on that loss; but TODAY, I've let it GO. Today I see a very bright future! SO; You can too. Let it go.

Reactions: Bennessee01
You are probably right. A Message Board is where you should be able to come on here and be critical and praise when necessary. I have complimented Tennessee on the way they ended the season. But you're never allowed to say anything negative with some people on here. Some people are happy with whatever product is out there. I guess they're coach worshippers or something.
You need to pick your spots. Complaining on ESD about Georgia State when we may finish in the top 10 is not a good time.

7th or 8th in the SEC isn't quite "getting it done".

The difference in average star ranking between Texas A&M, Florida, Auburn and Tennessee is .12 stars. 12/100ths of a star. Do you really think .12 stars indicates a measurable gap in talent? Considering the subjectivity of the rankings, It's pretty obvious that those teams are in a recruiting tie.

'Bama, LSU and Georgia are a cut above, and two of those teams lost games to teams with recruits no better than Tennessee. And, much of their recruiting prowess is self-fulfilling. Who doesn't believe Harrison Bailey gets his fifth star this year if he would have had the same steadfast commitment to Dabo or Saban?

The only question you should ask is if CJP and company can recruit and DEVELOP players to play winning football in the SEC. So far, it's reasonable to think they can.

I thought this was interesting... credit @ionaVOL.

Just wanna give this class a little perspective - just checked Rivals and we are currently 12th, behind the below teams

Clemson, OSU, LSU, bama, A&M, Georgia, Fla, Barn, Okla, Oregon and Michigan

Here is a list with each teams wins the past 5 years and their playoff appearances. Amazing to me we can even try and justify being disappointed in fringe top 10 classes at this point...

Basically, us and A&M are the only teams not to win at least 10 games in a season (and they recruit Texas with a big name coach) Oregon and Florida are the only other teams that had a single season with less than 7 wins and Oregon was in the playoffs in the 14/15 season.

wins-png.247048

Not necessarily. It depends on the gaps between the 6 teams. That will more accurately tell you how much ground we have to make up.

It can with good coaching and a breakout star at a skill position. Plus some of our Line commitments are underrated IMO.

Wrong! The majority of this board took the GSU loss and turned it into a guarantee on how the season would end and promised we'd be 2-10 / 3-9 and the Fulmer Coup was underway albeit early.

The minority position on this board was definitely "Wait and see what happens" before casting judgement on our final 12 game record based on the 0-2 start........

And no one ignored losing. They just didn't drink the kool aid that an 0-2 start = 2-10 final record. The problem was with those exact people. Not the minority that knew that a loss to GSU didn't mean or guarantee a loss to any other team on the schedule. We took it one week at a time. The majority did not have that view.
Like it, very rational, and very rare on here. For many on here it’s always “that time of the month.”

VN Store

Back