Rivals has us at 11th ranked class now.. [9th with the late addition]

Sometimes it takes a loss like GA ST. to look deep inside and decide if you’re going to get on board as a team and follow the person who is tasked to lead or get out of the program and go somewhere else. That lost shook up the players who want to be here and got rid of the ones who didn’t. Hats off to the coaching staff and support people who make this a great team to be on. You can’t have 85 plans on a football team..you have one plan everyone needs to follow to be successful. Butch Jones created so much hate between the coaches and players I’m surprised CJP got this team together a quick as he did. I was fooled by Jones and critical of Coach Pruitt after the first two loses. Good things are coming..GBO!

Agree. Couple years ago LSU lost at home to Troy and Ed Orgeron was about to get run out of Baton Rouge. Today they're the #1 team with a Heisman winning QB and Orgeron is National Coach of the Year. Remember Saban first yr? Lost to La-Monroe then reeled off six titles at Bama. These losses happen. It's not about the loss, it's how you as a program respond to it.

Only tells me that today was a much better recruiting day for the Vols than UF, while according to the recruiting website guys, UF did better than the Vols on the majority of days leading up to today.
Keep in mind these recruiting website “experts” aren’t coaches. In several cases, these experts have never coached or even played much. Meanwhile, I believe our HC has five national championship rings.
So, in sum it doesn’t tell much at all.

Well our coach doesn’t have any championship rings as a head coach, but Saban and Dabo do. Funny that guys the recruiting experts ranked highest were targeted by Bama and Clemson so maybe these recruiting experts know a thing or two about ranking recruits.

Question for you, if recruiting experts don’t know much about ranking players then why did UT waste time, effort and money bringing guys that recruiting services had highly ranked to Knoxville and offer them scholarships?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Wisconsin has had a top 30 class in the last decade...yet they flirt with the CF playoffs almost every year. I realize if they played in the SEC they don't win near as many games....I don't think....but still....they perform WAAAY ahead of their "star" rankings every year. Its the program...the coaching...the whole deal. If we can at least be close in the star rankings...and add superior coaching and a "program"....we should be able to compete with the biggies in the big bad SEC.

I agree with your point, and it’s certainly equally about coaching as it is recruiting, but it’s worth mentioning the division Wisconsin is in within the Big 10 is a baaaaaaddddd division. The Big 10 is so lopsided by division it’s a wonder they haven’t realigned them.

Ohio State, Mich, Mich State, Penn State, are all in one division. Wisconsin is literally the only team with a consistent pulse in the other.

Reactions: 08Vol
Didn't that game cost Tennessee a chance to play in the rose bowl for a national championship? That was a bummer
No. That happened in 1996, and Tennessee finished second to UF in the SEC East, in the year where UF and FSU ended up playing a rematch for the national championship. The Gators were able to take the title after Ohio State rallied in the final minutes of the Rose Bowl to knock off Jake Plummer and Arizona State, who would have finished 12-0 if they had held on.

The Vols were in line for a Bowl Alliance bowl if they had finished 10-1, but had no chance at the natty even before they lost to Memphis. After losing that game, they had to settle for the Citrus Bowl.

The year UT had a chance to make it to the Rose Bowl was 2001, when they lost in the SECCG. If they had won, they would have gone to the Rose Bowl and been annihilated by Miami, just like Nebraska was.

Well our coach doesn’t have any championship rings as a head coach, but Saban and Dabo do. Funny that guys the recruiting experts ranked highest were targeted by Bama and Clemson so maybe these recruiting experts know a thing or two about ranking recruits.

Question for you, if recruiting experts don’t know much about ranking players then why did UT waste time, effort and money bringing guys that recruiting services had highly ranked to Knoxville and offer them scholarships?
It can be both and...

We still ranked 7th in the SEC...

And your point is? The gap between 3 and 7 isn’t big at all. LSU and Bama got theirs. UGA is usual but coaching changes likely hurt.
sure it would be better to be top 5 in SEC. But y’all acting like we are 7th in SEC with a national 28th ranked class.

I agree, stay close and we are doing that, I just looked at Clemson recruiting since dabo 09 was 37th
10 was 19th, 11 was 8th, 12 was 14th, 13 was 14th, 14, was 13th, 15 was 4th, 16 was 6th, 17 was 22nd, 18 was 8, and 19 was 5th. They have done pretty well, measure the first 3 years he was there ut is ahead of that schedule. And I would take clemsons success. Good coaching can take some 3 and 4 star recruits and play with anyone, especially if you have some great performers in skilled positions. And we have several 4 stars, which can compete with 5 stars with good coaching. I think we have a great coaching staff who will coach them up to be competitive. And also look at okl. their recruiting classes do not come near what a lot of the other top 10 schools are doing and they are successful. Look everyone can't win nc. I am happy to be in the top ten and also be able to compete with anyone and occasionaly be in the playoffs and win sec every few years.

Our defense has had problems lining up all season. Our offense has been horrid in the red zone. All our wins this season came against teams with less talent. We lost to 2 teams with less talent than us. These are not traits of a great coaching staff. Clemson won their division in Dabo’s 2nd year so how exactly is Pruitt ahead of Dabo in year 2? OU can win big with low rated recruiting classes b/c they don’t play Bama, UGA, and UF every year.

No. That happened in 1996, and Tennessee finished second to UF in the SEC East, in the year where UF and FSU ended up playing a rematch for the national championship. The Gators were able to take the title after Ohio State rallied in the final minutes of the Rose Bowl to knock off Jake Plummer and Arizona State, who would have finished 12-0 if they had held on.

The Vols were in line for a Bowl Alliance bowl if they had finished 10-1, but had no chance at the natty even before they lost to Memphis. After losing that game, they had to settle for the Citrus Bowl.

The year UT had a chance to make it to the Rose Bowl was 2001, when they lost in the SECCG. If they had won, they would have gone to the Rose Bowl and been annihilated by Miami, just like Nebraska was.

In 97 we kind of played in a National Championship. We were #3 playing #2 Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. If #1 Michigan had lost the Rose Bowl then the National Champion would be the winner of the Orange Bowl.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Wisconsin has had a top 30 class in the last decade...yet they flirt with the CF playoffs almost every year. I realize if they played in the SEC they don't win near as many games....I don't think....but still....they perform WAAAY ahead of their "star" rankings every year. Its the program...the coaching...the whole deal. If we can at least be close in the star rankings...and add superior coaching and a "program"....we should be able to compete with the biggies in the big bad SEC.

They don’t perform WAY ahead of their star ranking. They are in the Western (or easy) division of the B1G. They have made their championship game 4 times in the last 6 years and lost all 4 of them. Listing the year and where their recruiting class finished ranked IN THEIR DIVISION.

2013 2nd
2014 1st
2015 2nd
2016 2nd
2017 2nd
2018 4th
2019 3rd

I'll take the talent assessment expertise of our HC with five NC rings (and his staff) over anyone working for any recruiting website. And it's not even close.

To your question, we spend lots of time/money every year on many recruits that we don't eventually sign, and some that we do sign. Some are highly rated by the recruiting website warriors, and some aren't.

The real questions are (1) how highly does the staff value these signees vs. the recruits that got away, and (2) how well does the staff feel these signees will meet the current team needs.

Last edited:
Our defense has had problems lining up all season. Our offense has been horrid in the red zone. All our wins this season came against teams with less talent. We lost to 2 teams with less talent than us. These are not traits of a great coaching staff. Clemson won their division in Dabo’s 2nd year so how exactly is Pruitt ahead of Dabo in year 2? OU can win big with low rated recruiting classes b/c they don’t play Bama, UGA, and UF every year.
So in others words are you saying,’pack it in, we suck and so does our coaches, shut the program down.?’ Our wins may have not been against top 25 teams but you have to recognize the improvement they showed in the second half of the season. If not then go ahead and be miserable the whole offseason just don’t try and bring everybody else down with you.

As I look at the players our coaching Team brought in today, all I can say is what was said in the movie "Draft Day"...

"We had a really good day!"

Lots of great players that filled needs at most every position and are already bought in on Pruitt and our Tennessee FootVOL Team.

VFL...GBO!!!

You recruit your Needs! These ranking services are individual opinions and most time they are close, but you can’t measure a players HEART! Our coaches have worked extremely hard to land this class to take us to the next level..
Go Vols

So in others words are you saying,’pack it in, we suck and so does our coaches, shut the program down.?’ Our wins may have not been against top 25 teams but you have to recognize the improvement they showed in the second half of the season. If not then go ahead and be miserable the whole offseason just don’t try and bring everybody else down with you.

You can call that the Georgia State Syndrome

VN Store

Back