Uros Plavsic commits to Tennessee

I'd avoid that subject. Just saying.
He was white, as was the whole SEC back then. Maybe he was too white and looked like a ghost. Maybe he was scared of ghosts. I remember what he looked like, but have no idea where the name came from.

I think it was the year that we won the SEC and lost to the Dayton Flyers in the NCAA. It seems to be that Dayton had a really good left handed player named Ron May, and they beat us 53-52, and the NCAA field was small, not like the 64 team field now. I think that Ron Widby, Billy Hahn and Billy Justus were on that team with Boerwinkle. Maybe Tom "Spook" Hendrix too. That was a great team.

Edit: I looked it up, and the Dayton Flyers made it all the way to the NCAA Championship game, where they lost to UCLA. The entire field was 23 teams.

What year was it we had Bobby Croft and Don Johnson - the year we went to Columbia and upset #1 ranked USCjr and Frank McGuire?

No. It's a good thing. Probably makes your work stories a bit more boring though.

Don't know about that. I've got some good ones like the day a woman came in looking for adult diapers because she cooked at a seafood restaurant chain and didn't have time to go to the bathroom so she just peed in her adult diapers. The woman who came in and loudly asked where the condoms were because she hadn't had sex in a year. There were the folks who had seizures in front of the counter because they already had taken too many drugs and the armed robberies were pretty exciting. The technician who threw a stapler at another tech's head while she had her back turned. You get the picture.

He was white, as was the whole SEC back then. Maybe he was too white and looked like a ghost. Maybe he was scared of ghosts. I remember what he looked like, but have no idea where the name came from.
Plays like a.... It was a different time and let's leave that crap there. Your first sentence should have been your clue.

I remember Boerwinkle from listening to John Ward doing the play-by-play on my first transistor radio.

My dad had one and listened to games on it. One of my best memories is camping in Cade Cove one fall Saturday. It rained cats and dogs and we were stuck in a pop up camper. I was about 6 or 8 yo and sat there with him listening to the UT / Auburn FB game. It rained so hard that the Vols were punting the ball on first down. Dad was chuckling b/c apparently John Ward was relaying the fact that Auburn's coaches were pissed that we refused to play offense in the mess.

Great memories of that little radio with a leather like case on it.

Reactions: wlkx and RavinDave
Don't know about that. I've got some good ones like the day a woman came in looking for adult diapers because she cooked at a seafood restaurant chain and didn't have time to go to the bathroom so she just peed in her adult diapers. The woman who came in and loudly asked where the condoms were because she hadn't had sex in a year. There were the folks who had seizures in front of the counter because they already had taken too many drugs and the armed robberies were pretty exciting. The technician who threw a stapler at another tech's head while she had her back turned. You get the picture.
I think any degree outside of criminal justice should exempt you from armed robbery as part of your career.

My dad had one and listened to games on it. One of my best memories is camping in Cade Cove one fall Saturday. It rained cats and dogs and we were stuck in a pop up camper. I was about 6 or 8 yo and sat there with him listening to the UT / Auburn FB game. It rained so hard that the Vols were punting the ball on first down. Dad was chuckling b/c apparently John Ward was relaying the fact that Auburn's coaches were pissed that we refused to play offense in the mess.

Great memory. I always loved rainy days in the Smokies.

Plays like a.... It was a different time and let's leave that crap there. Your first sentence should have been your clue.
I saw him play and never, ever considered what you are suggesting, and never heard a fan suggest it. I don't know if race had anything to do with his nickname or not.

There were no black players in the SEC to compare him to. Race wasn't a factor because there was only one race playing in this part of the country when he played. Nobody had seen black players play at that time, except an occasionally televised NBA game. I don't remember thinking that they were gods on the basketball court in the 1960's.

Hendrix was a 41% shooter who averaged a bit less than 10 points per game in 3 years. I recall him shooting mostly from the wing , out of the corners from 15-20 feet. Defense wasn't as tough back then. He was the second tallest member of the team at 6'5", but was 4th in rebounding at 3.6 per game. So, I'm not sure how he got his nickname because he wasn't a prolific scorer or jumper.

Last edited:

I'm thinking that game was around 1973 or 74, wasn't it?

I think he'll be an inside-outside threat. He can of course play inside with his height, but he's got a good shot as well. Better than Williams did, I think. (At least at the same stage of their basketball pursuit.) A guy asked him who his favorite Serbian player was and who he thinks his game kinda matches up with...he said Jokic is his favorite, but he thinks he plays like a cross between Giannis and KD. And said one thing he can improve upon is his dribbling. He seems to have some decent vision as well, I see him make a number of assists. Seems to have a pretty good all-around game. He's also naturally good at blocking and rebounding. And we kinda needed another really tall guy...plus Serbs are pretty tough/stoic people.

Last edited:
I think he'll be an inside-outside threat. He can of course play inside with his height, but he's got a good shot as well. Better than Williams did, I think. (At least at the same stage of their basketball pursuit.) A guy asked him who his favorite Serbian player was and who he thinks his game kinda matches up with...he said Jokic is his favorite, but he thinks he plays like a cross between Giannis and KD. And said one thing he can improve upon is his dribbling. He seems to have some decent vision as well, I see him make a number of assists. Seems to have a pretty good all-around game. He's also naturally good at blocking and rebounding. And we kinda needed another really tall guy...plus Serbs are pretty tough/stoic people.

Urr-roash Puh-lahv-shich

Wow,he looks 40 years old

VN Store

Back